Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1661 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2011 1:25 PM by SJRUN
SJRUN Expert 55 posts since
May 3, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 3, 2011 9:59 AM

Cold, wet, slow run

Fall has definitely arrived in upstate New York.

I did my last long run - 21 miles - yesterday, prepping for my first marathon (New York) on Nov. 6.   The weather was lousy...very cold, very wet, very windy...did I mention cold?  I've run in some foul weather, but never done a long one in such inclement conditions.

I considered opting out, but my schedule doesn't afford much flexibility, and I figured the NY will go on Nov.6 rain or shine.

After about 8 miles, getting pretty soaked, I felt very sloppy:  sloppy gait and pace, poor form.  And I seemed to lose about a minute per mile off my total time.  Today I feel a lot worse than I have from previous long runs.

So I'm interested if anyone has thoughts on how to maintain form in these conditions, and if everyone experiences the same sort of deterioration in times etc.  It seems sort of natural to me, though I'm not sure if it accounts for the soreness/stiffness and depletion I feel today.  In some ways I'd think keeping cool and hydrated should help, or do you lose so much energy in the cold it's a wash?

Sorry for babbling.   Any thoughts?

"If you think you will fail or that you will succeed, you'll be right."

Recent and Upcoming Races:

New York NY - ING NY Marathon, Nov. 6, 2011 - Finish time 4:53:24

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    1. Oct 3, 2011 11:58 AM (in response to SJRUN)
    Cold, wet, slow run

practice.

it's the same answer for running in hot conditions, in windy conditions, etc... just practice. when your body isn't used to the conditions, it doesn't always operate at it's highest efficiency. but as you get used to it and expose the body to different conditions, it won't experience such a drastic shock to coordination the next time it's out there in those same conditions.

the body is an amazing thing. it adjusts.

but i'm sure someone like fitz or lenzlaw can offer a more dynamic answer. this is just from my experience. good luck to you in your marathon!

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

====================================

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    3. Oct 3, 2011 4:10 PM (in response to SJRUN)
    Cold, wet, slow run

It could simply be that you did not have a good day out there -- regardless of the weather.

Bad runs happen -- hopefully while training. Sometimes they happen on race day.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Oct 4, 2011 9:51 AM (in response to skypilot77)
    Cold, wet, slow run

Not sure this helps you but I ran Wineglass in Corning NY on Sunday, pouring rain and 42.  I ran a great time, but I am a lot sorer than I have ever been after any of my past marathons.  Not sure if it was the conditions or how hard I ran?  Either way not great running conditions.  Think postive for NY party cloudy and 45!!!!!  Good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points