Skip navigation

513 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 7, 2011 4:35 PM by JoeLoureiro RSS
PeterORourke Amateur 9 posts since
Jul 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 3, 2011 2:43 PM

We're Going Streaking

“We’re going streaking!” The classic line Will Ferrell yells in a drunken state prior to running through the town naked. The ‘streaking’ I’m talking about is more of the Cal Ripken Jr. 2632 games played streak. We as runner have our own little streaks we keep mostly to ourselves. Whether it’s a year (s) of running without a day off or that local turkey trot you run each Thanksgiving. Right before stuffing yourself with turkey. For me, my streak is consecutive New York City Marathons. At the youthful age of 23, I have six under my belt. Impossible sort of. With everything in life you need a little luck. My birthday falls on November 6. Luck would have it, the marathon fell on November 6th 2005.  What better way to celebrate your 18th birthday than running the NYC marathon for the first time. I was also able to come back the following year on November 5th to run the race again as an 18 year old.

With lucky number seven just over a month away. The training has been anything but lucky. Plagued by injuries (ITB Syndrome, Patella Tendonitis) in the late summer, I’ve been battling through the training. Fighting for the opportunity just to keep my streak alive. My legs have been coming around lately and I've been feeling pretty good on the roads. I already threw a time goal out the window. I just want to start and finish. Keep the streak alive. Survive to run a fast one another day. I'm viewing this race as a celebratory jog through the five boroughs for my 24th birthday.

Reflecting on my streak made me wonder what sort of streaks other runners have? What streaks do you fight hard to keep alive?

• JoeLoureiro Expert 44 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 7, 2011 4:35 PM (in response to PeterORourke)
    We're Going Streaking

Not sure if I consider it a streak, however, I have run the Baystate Marathon in 2009 and 2010, in my attempts to qualify for Boston. I was successful on the second attempt. I only plan to run the half marathon this year, actually next weekend, 10/16, as I don't want to run a full marathon 3 weeks before NYC. I've also run the Boston Marathon twice. The first time in 2010, unofficially, as I didn't have a number, and in 2011. I'm already registered and accepted for the 2012 marathon. So once NYC marathon is complete, I'll take a week or two off before resuming my training for Boston!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...