Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

972 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2006 2:34 PM by Gaarryy
ChunkyBuTTired Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 19, 2006 11:13 AM

Atkins Diet

off and on for three years i have been doing atkins, but i always quit after a very short time... one two weeks. This time i have been going strict for one and half weeks so far losing like eight poundsr... does anyone have tips for staying on? I also exercise and drinks loads of water.

• pelliott33 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 19, 2006 12:12 PM (in response to ChunkyBuTTired)
    Re: Atkins Diet

I tried Atkins once (1 week) and it made me sick.  Now that I am cycling I need carbs.  I would strongly advise against Atkins.  There are plenty of other ways to loose weight in a health fashion.  I have tried Body for Life and was very successful with it. 

P.S.  I am not affiliated with Body for Life and you can do it for free at www.bodyforlife.com.

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. May 23, 2006 6:32 PM (in response to ChunkyBuTTired)

If you have to force yourself to stay on a diet, than you will never stay on it for very long. Make sure you get some aerobic excercise and eat your veggies. Carbs are not bad, in fact you will need them to increase your exercise intensity. There is better info out there than what I can provide, but Atkins is probably not the way to go.

• fitnesscoaching.us Amateur 38 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. May 23, 2006 8:53 PM (in response to ChunkyBuTTired)

I agree with beerpace.  If you are an athlete you need carbs.  Try and make sure they are complex carbs.  They key is to have a well balanced diet that is part of your lifestyle.  Whenever you consider a diet ask yourself, "can I do this for the rest of my life?"  If you can't, then it will not be permanent.  A good friend of mine swears by atkins, but his weight fluctuates between 185 - 205.  He goes strong for a few months and drops 10 - 20 lbs, but gains it back the next three months.  He has not made a lifestyle change.  He is merely following a diet....

Make sure you are getting a balance of carbs, protein and good fat.  Snack regularly and eat sensible portions.  If you are trying to loose weight, then do it gradually as this is the most effective way. 

Good luck,

Joby

• starr6300 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 30, 2006 12:03 PM (in response to ChunkyBuTTired)

I did the atkins diet for years. It was wonderful  (so I thought) I went from 205 lbs to 140 at 5'9 and maintained it for almost 5 years. Then I started to gain weight and nothing stopped it. The Atkins diet messed me up more than it helped me.

I would advise against it. I am still at

• Gaarryy Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jul 3, 2006 2:34 PM (in response to ChunkyBuTTired)

I have had a much different experience with the atkins diet.. I was on it for almost six years, lost 50 pounds and it was easy for my to stay on...  During that time I was a competive Volleyball player and runner that has done a few marathons..I never really had problems with needed more for energy.   The original Atkins diet/book (before it became a craze} is that you get to eat veggies.  Your watching for suger type carbs..  People starting thinking you could eat 2 lbs of bacon for breakfast and huge steaks everyday... it's still burn more calories than you take in..

Unforntunately I went off it on advice my marathon times would be better and I'd be healthier...  while training for my last marathon I gained 15lbs by eating way too many carbs,, I'll go back to my boring small piece of chicken with lots of veggies and cut out the breads and pasta's to drop the weight and regain the speed I lost due to the extra pounds

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...