Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1284 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2011 11:56 AM by RunGoddessBA
kzum0411 Amateur 20 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 5, 2011 9:36 AM

Decent treadmill for home..suggestions?

It's getting to get a bit colder where I live so running outdoors in the winter isn't always easy (especially since I live in a rural area) so I am in the market for a new treadmill.  I run 5+ days/week, I'm 5'5 and 120lbs.  My husband will use it as well, he's 6'2" and 195 lbs. 

I want one that is sturdy for running (non-folding) and not terribly expensive (up to $1700+-).  I've been looking at the Smooth Fitness brand but I want to know what other treadmills runners use at home before I commit to something.  I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a piece of crap but I am willing to spend more than my target price if it's a good treadmill...just have to convince the hubby to spend more.  I have used the Star-Trac brand at the gym and I wasn't impressed with it.  Any suggestions out there?  Thanks in advance. 

Illinois Marathon 10k - 04.30.2010 -01:07:42

Kirby Derby 10k- 05.14.2010 -01:00:32

Kirby Derby 5k - 05.12.2012 -34:07 (25 weeks pregnant with baby #2)

Schumacher Shuffle 5k- 11.10.2012 -32:37 (13 weeks post partum)

Illinois Marathon 5k- 04.27.2013 -29:56

Ilinois Marathon Half- 04.28.2013 -2:22:23

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Oct 10, 2011 4:10 AM (in response to kzum0411)

I've been pretty happy with my Sole F83, purchased a couple of years ago for about $2,000 after freight, turnkey installation, and whatnot (it listed for about $1,700). To my mind, the main things to keep an eye on are the motor (shoot for 3.0+ HP; 3.5+ HP would be better), deck length (particularly for your husband; a longer deck will keep him from feeling like he's going to go off the end), and warranty for motor and deck (longer is better, naturally).

You should also figure out what features you anticipate needing. Will you need a range of fully customizable programs? Will you be running intervals? How fast do you expect to run? Will you be doing interval training? How steep an incline are you likely to want/need?

If you're bargain hunting, definitely keep an eye out on sites like Craigslist. You can pick up a high end treadmill for a small fraction of the original cost if you're patient.

I spent a fair bit of time doing research before making my purchase. I found the reviews at http://www.treadmilldoctor.com to be very helpful.

Good luck with  your purchase. It would be interesting to hear what you decided to buy.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• RunGoddessBA Amateur 24 posts since
    Dec 8, 2011
    3. Dec 8, 2011 11:56 AM (in response to kzum0411)

I bought the Bowflex 5 a few years ago and think it is great at the time Consumer Reports ranked the Bowflex 7 as one of the better ones on the market. The one thing I was told by many runners when shopping was to look for something with a horsepower of 2.5 or greater.

RunGoddess developer of the finest temporary tattoos for runners and triathletes. Free shipping to Canada and the US on orders $13.00 or greater.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...