Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

29842 Views 176 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2012 10:44 AM by Hawkfan79 RSS 1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next
pjo1966 Expert 60 posts since
Oct 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2011 7:19 PM

Starting Monday, Oct 10th

I hate exercising, so I'm off to a good start already with my positive attitude.   For a brief period of time I was working out 3 days a week and doing 60 minutes of elliptical 3 days a week.  I also did spin class off and on for a couple of years.  That was the extent of my exercise across my 45 years.  I had been looking at the C25k program, but thought it would be clunky to time myself.  Then Amazon had a special on a free Android app that allows you to play music while giving you audio cues as when to change your pace, and what to change it to.  I think that was just what this techno geek needed to get motivated.  I work as a Realtor and also a freelance editor.  Both industries have been incredibly slow and I spend a lot of time at home, sitting at the computer.  I think I can attempt 30 minutes a day to gradually build up my strength and endurance.  I'm hoping the sneakers I have will suffice, because it will be a while before I can invest in new ones.  This should be interesting.

• kp24 Amateur 28 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2. Oct 8, 2011 3:13 PM (in response to pjo1966)

On securing the smartphone: there are some armbands available online. I've also seen them in stores like Target and in a local sports store. However, I've been holding mine while I go out and it hasn't been bad yet. I'm only on week 2, so I plan to get something before the longer runs.

Started C25K: 10/3/11

-------------------------------------

Turkey Trot 5K: 11/24/11: 33:17

Nobody's a natural. You work hard to get good and then work to get better. It's hard to stay on top.

Paul Coffey

• Hawkfan79 Amateur 33 posts since
    Oct 8, 2011
    5. Oct 10, 2011 10:55 AM (in response to pjo1966)

I'm just starting C25k myself.  Saturday was my W1D1 and, as long as it's not raining too hard when I get off work, today will be my second day.  On day one I was only able to do 5 of the 8 running periods as my lower back was killing me, but I generally enjoyed it and the pain went away within an hour or so after finishing.

I've been meaning to do something/anything active for a while now.  It took seeing the C25K app as a recent Amazon free app of the day (I had never heard of C25K before) to make me think to myself, "Hey, I think I could do this".  I'm running on some old worn out skateboarding shoes right now, but planning to pick up some running shoes on payday in 2 weeks.

My (only) pair of shorts has pockets, so that's where I kept my phone/music.  I didn't have any trouble with it falling out, but I am still thinking of picking up some sort of arm strap.  A much bigger priority for me, in addition to running shoes, is getting the right kind of underwear.  I knew I didn't want to wear cotton briefs, but found my boxers riding up way too high to be comfortable.

I found a 5k in my town on the weekend before christmas, so I'm tentatively targeting that as my first race.  I'm also trying to be honest with myself in realizing how out of shape I am and I'm OK with the fact that I'll likely have to repeat some weeks somewhere along the way.  I'm 31 and haven't exercised since it was forced on me in PE class as a sophmore in high school.

Good luck to us both!

Race Results:

12/17/11 - Santa Runs Tacoma 5k - 39:19 (My first race!)

3/17/12 - St Paddy's Day Run Tacoma 5k - 35:50

• allionna Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    6. Oct 10, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to pjo1966)

I started my W1D1 on Saturday, but I went to the track yesterday as well and did intervals again.  Today is my rest day, so I will go tomorrow sometime.

I usually bike, but I decided that I would try running, since almost none of my friends bike, but I know a lot of people who I can go running with once I get to where I can do a few miles at a time.  I am hoping that having people to run with will make it more fun.  I already have a couple friends asking me if I want to do a couple different 5K races.  There is a 5K at the beginning of December that I think might be my first race.  The ran will fall into either week 7 or 8 of the plan, but at that point I should be able to run 2.5-3 miles according to the plan, so I should be okay.

I got fitted for new running shoes the end of last week, since my old shoes were 3-4 years old and the support in them was worn out.  I need to buy some running clothes.  I have been wearing yoga capri's which work okay, but it is going to start getting cold where I live and I need to find something warm to wear that is not too bulky.

• Run4Choclt Pro 80 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    8. Oct 10, 2011 12:51 PM (in response to pjo1966)

pj - check out your local running clubs. It seems they always have the most/best races to choose from.

I have often wondered about what underwear to run in too - but i'm a girl so boxer briefs prob wouldn't work well for me! HAHAHA

-2011 Races-

8/28/11 - Pekin, IL Greater Area Peoria 5k (1st ever 5k!) - 37:05

9/3/11 - Kewanee, IL Hog Stomp 4m - 45:23

9/10/11 - East Troy, WI Historical Society 5k - 34:02

9/17/11 - Morton, IL Pumpkin Classic 10k - 1:06:22

10/1/11 - Morton, IL St. Jude Road Race 5k - 31:56 - PR

10/8/11 - Peoria, IL United Way 5k - 32:50

10/22/11 - Peoria, IL Boo Run 5k - 32:50

10/29/11 - Chicago, IL Monster Dash Half Marathon (1st ever HM!) - 2:40:06

- Training For 2012 Races-

3/3/12 - Peoria, IL Gaelic Gallop 5k -

3/10/12 - Morton, IL Cactus Classic 10k or half ? -

3/24/12 - Pekin, IL Saints 5k -

3/24/12 - Peoria, IL Interplanetary 5k -

3/31/12 - Peoria Heights, IL Half Marathon -

• blord2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 9, 2011
    9. Oct 10, 2011 1:01 PM (in response to pjo1966)

Hi there, I just started today as well! I am wayyyyy out of shape but have been wanting to start running for a while (used to do it in high school/college but got married, had kids, blahblahblah).  I found the first half not too bad, but pooped out on the 2nd half and ended up walking the last quarter of it. The only time I could fit it in today was right after lunch and I know I wasn't hydrated enough. It is oddly 80+ degrees outside today so that didn't help, neither did my broken earphones.  I have ordered an armband for my iphone (carried it today) and am getting new earphones tomorrow. My real issue was that I felt like I desperately needed water! I wasn't really in pain or anything - just thirsty. Anyone else have this problem? I haven't heard about the underwear issue - maybe that's a male problem?? My new sneakers seem to work great - not sure I would know the difference, but I got some Asics that were recommended. Not the really expensive ones, but I think they're going to be ok. I wish everyone luck in getting this program going. I really hope I stick to it!

• Hawkfan79 Amateur 33 posts since
    Oct 8, 2011
    10. Oct 10, 2011 8:02 PM (in response to pjo1966)

W1D2 is in the books!  I made it through all the runs this time.  I already can't wait for my next time out.

Race Results:

12/17/11 - Santa Runs Tacoma 5k - 39:19 (My first race!)

3/17/12 - St Paddy's Day Run Tacoma 5k - 35:50

• nestmom Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 11, 2011
    11. Oct 11, 2011 4:18 AM (in response to pjo1966)

starting today. 40 pounds to loose.  Looking for something fun.

• RhondaWants2Run Amateur 16 posts since
    Oct 11, 2011
    12. Oct 11, 2011 5:35 AM (in response to pjo1966)

Started yesterday and finished W1D1 - I'm excited to see if tomorrow (W1D2) is any easier. After yesterday I think I might have to repeat week 1 before I am comfortable to move on to Week 2.

I am 42, quit smoking 3 years ago and need to lose about 40 pounds that I have gained over the last 3 years. I have never been athletic, so this is all new to me.

I am feeling very motivated right now, but I think this group will help me stay motivated as the program progresses.

I had been walking, about a mile a day and came across the C25K program online and thought it looked doable and decided that I would LOVE to be a runner.

I'm excited about the program and know I just need to stick with it and stay motivated.

• RhondaWants2Run Amateur 16 posts since
    Oct 11, 2011
    13. Oct 12, 2011 5:57 AM (in response to pjo1966)

W1D2  -  Done! 

Yesterday I couldn't wait to get out and see how W1D2 went. This morning, after a late night at school (one of the kid's school activities), I was less than enthusiastic to get moving. I also walked a mile yesterday afternoon and because of the school activity I wasn't able to eat right for dinner.

I made it through the workout this morning and felt like I did better than Monday. I felt like my breathing was much better. My calves are still screaming at the end of the minute though.

I'm glad I made myself get up and go outside and get it done. I think that I will NOT walk on Thursday and see if that makes a difference on Friday. What do you guys do on your "Off" days??

1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...