Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

31206 Views 176 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2012 10:44 AM by Hawkfan79 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 12 Previous Next
  • kp24 Amateur 28 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 12, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to pjo1966)
    Starting Monday, Oct 10th

Great job guys! I'm actually posting mostly on another C25K thread, but I wanted to come cheer you on! I'm starting week 3 this Sunday, and I am already noticing improvement, especially in my breathing.

And to answer RhondaWants2Run: On my off days, I pretty much work on studying for my comps exams I'm in grad school, and part of my reasons for running include helping with stress. It is working, believe it or not.

Keep it up!

Started C25K: 10/3/11

-------------------------------------

Turkey Trot 5K: 11/24/11: 33:17

Nobody's a natural. You work hard to get good and then work to get better. It's hard to stay on top.

Paul Coffey

• Strawberry29 Expert 47 posts since
    Sep 26, 2011
    16. Oct 12, 2011 1:47 PM (in response to pjo1966)

I started Couch to 5K on Monday - did W1 D2 today. Got up at 6.30am and tried to get out without waking my husband or kids. If the kids wake up it is impossible to get out! I am a Mum of 2, work full time, studying part time and have about 14lbs to lose since I had my second baby just under 2 years ago. I have joined Weight Watchers and am determined to stick to the Couch to 5K program to try and help shift some more lbs!! I've lost 5lbs in 5 weeks so far with WW and hoping Couch to 5K will boost weight loss. I'm not terribly overweight with a BMI of 26 but would really like to be fit. I have always admired those people that are out running every day when I'm on my way to work. Have to say it is difficult to get up and out in the morning so early but I feel great when I get back. It has rained both days I've been out but I figure it won't melt me so just get on with it.

I have some fruit before I head out - maybe an orange/banana and have breakfast when I get back or when I get to work - usually either porridge or a wholewheat cereal with milk. I try to do some yoga stretches when I get back from running so that I don't get aches and pains

Looking forward to W1 D3 on Friday. Hope to log on regularly to try and stay motivated and see how everyone is getting on.

• Hawkfan79 Amateur 33 posts since
    Oct 8, 2011
    18. Oct 12, 2011 7:06 PM (in response to pjo1966)

I just got home from finishing W1D3.  I'm feeling pretty confident right now.

Like I'd said earlier, I wasn't able to do all the runs on d1, I did them all after d2, and d3 was actually pretty easy.  This really surpises me as I've been as inactive as possible and have mostly eaten terrible food for the last 15 or so years

Week 4, where the 5 minute runs start, is probably where I start feeling a little nervous as of now (and week 7 has me terrified), though if I keep making progress I should be fine.

Also, picked up some running shoes and shorts last night, and I'm happy with both.

I can't wait to get back out again!

Race Results:

12/17/11 - Santa Runs Tacoma 5k - 39:19 (My first race!)

3/17/12 - St Paddy's Day Run Tacoma 5k - 35:50

Sep 26, 2011
    19. Oct 14, 2011 3:30 AM (in response to Hawkfan79)

Out again this morning at 7am - W1 D3 completed. I did struggle a bit with the 60 second runs towards the end. Think I might have been running too fast for someone who only started running on Monday! Slowed down a little and then I managed to complete the rest of the 60 second running intervals.

Have to say I look ahead to week 7 and think there is no way I can do it but then lots of people have used this program to go from not running to running 5K so why not me?

Feeling very tired now but delighted I managed to complete the week and going to move on to week 2 on Monday. I might try and get a walk/run in over the weekend as well.

• RhondaWants2Run Amateur 16 posts since
    Oct 11, 2011
    21. Oct 14, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to pjo1966)

Completed W1D3 earlier this morning.

At the beginning of the running intervals I was sure that I really needed to repeat Week 1 next week. My primary problem is my calves. I do get winded; but I'm not gasping for air like I was on Day 1. About halfway through the intervals things got a little better, but still at the end of each 1 minute run I was eagerly awaiting the "Walk" prompt. I completed all the intervals and am very proud of what I've accomplished this week. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to move onto Week 2?

I'm fairly confident that I could struggle through a 90 second run / 2 min walk - but should I push it or should I repeat week 1 next week and hopefully end next week being able to comfortably run 1 minute intervals? (What if I repeat and next Friday is no better than today?) I'm going to think about it this weekend. Maybe try a 90 second run, to see how it goes.

One of things that may have affected me this morning was that 1) I hadn't had breakfast and 2) I hadn't had any water. I just completely forgot. I need to make myself remember that on mornings that I run I should eat a banana or something and have a bottle of water BEFORE I go out. I imagine that's just a habit I need to create.

The other change I made today was moving from grass to the street. We live on a street that's not amazingly hilly, but definitely not flat.

I think in the end, I will move on to Week 2 on Monday. I just need to make sure that I am fueled and hydrated before the run.
    I also found a Yoga site online and I'm going to be adding an hour of Yoga on two or three of my "Off" days.

Strawberry, I hear ya - I look at the schedule for a few weeks from now and think 5 minutes!?!?! How am I ever going to do it? We CAN do it!

PJO - "new to the moving my body" - I resemble that remark. <g>

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Oct 8, 2011
    22. Oct 15, 2011 1:32 PM (in response to RhondaWants2Run)

I decided that I didn't want to take two days off, so I did w2d1 yesterday, one day early.  It wasn't too challenging, but I didn't have a whole lot more left in me when the app told me that I was done.  I'll probably keep going with 6 days per program week for now.

I also started using an app called My Tracks on my phone.  It uses GPS to record your path, speed, elevation, etc.  It also supports one or two heart rate monitors if you have one (I don't).  I first used it on w1d3, and went 2.21 miles.  On w2d1 I went 2.37.  I like being able to see the distance traveled.  It's one more way to see the progress I'm making.  It's also made me feel like I can pull off the 5k I was thinking of running on 12/17, seeing as I'm already 3/4 of the way there in 30 minutes, and that includes the warmup and cooldown walks.

I'm just amazed at how it's gone so far.  I want to go out again today, but I'm going to make myself keep to taking days off in between my runs.

Race Results:

Oct 8, 2011
    23. Oct 16, 2011 11:53 AM (in response to Hawkfan79)

I just got home from finishing W2D2. I decided to try a new running spot, a local lake with a paved path around it.  Two laps had me getting back to my car with a couple minutes of my cool down walk to go, so I just paced around a bit once I got there.  I didn't end up getting quite as much distance (2.1 miles), but still felt good.

I also took the dog with me for the first time today.  I won't be doing that again until we find, or buy another, halti collar for her.  She's a strong 60 pounds and takes off every time we pass another dog/squirrel/crow/smell.  I never had too much of a problem dealing with that when taking her on walks, but when running it's hard getting constantly tugged off into any direction but forward.  I would like for her to get used to the routine of running with me.  She's not usually too active, and the 5k I'm hoping to run in December benefits the humane society, so they are allowing runners to take their dogs along.

Race Results:

Sep 26, 2011
    24. Oct 17, 2011 2:02 AM (in response to RhondaWants2Run)

Decided to go out and try and get a 4th W1 run/walk in before starting W2. I struggled much more than on the previous days. I went out at night rather than in the morning and after 4 intervals I was not able to keep running. I had to walk for about 3 minutes and start again. I was really tired. I had been up all of the previous night with my daughter and I hadn't eaten well that day so maybe this was the reason. Also I had a few glasses of wine with dinner on Saturday night and this definitely didn't help. Anyway I have decided to move on to W2 starting tomorrow. If I find it too tough, I will keep doing it until I can run all of the intervals. I've also decided to change my route a little as where I'm running at the moment is all very steep hills and I think maybe I am trying to do too much too soon. There is a loop walk/run near where I live that is 5.2km - it is still not flat but has to be a little easier. I am going to do the loop but do the 30 minutes W2 program and then walk the remainder.

Tomorrow morning I am going to start week 2 and see how it goes. I have WW class tomorrow night also so hopefully will be a lb or maybe 2 down as well. I watch what I eat on weekdays but am not so good at weekends. I am tempted to start W2 this evening but I think morning runs are better and anyway I need to stick to taking days off in between. I seem to be sticking with this program so don't want to mess if up by getting an injury. I have a feeling it will take a couple of weeks to move on to W3 for me.... happy running everyone!

Oct 11, 2011
    25. Oct 17, 2011 7:06 AM (in response to pjo1966)

D1W2 done, woo hoo!

I have to say that I was worried that today was going to be too much too soon. Two days off and it's not like D3W1 was a breeze. But I did just fine.

My legs are feeling stronger. I was more winded after each run interval; but based on last week I'm sure that will improve on Wednesday. My calves have been my problem and they were better today also. I'm so excited that I was able to complete today without feeling like I was really struggling to make it through.

Can't wait until Wednesday!

Sep 26, 2011
    27. Oct 18, 2011 1:51 AM (in response to pjo1966)

W2 D1 completed! Cannot believe I managed it - on the 4th interval of running I really had to slow down as I was totally winded but kept going and hoping now it will get easier for the next 2 runs this week. I didn't find the 90 second runs all that much harder than the 60 second ones but I did cover a greater distance. I changed my route to one with less steep hills and I think this made a difference. It was really cold this morning - really high winds and some rain. I actually stopped as I went out the front door and thought why am I doing this to myself? Anyway once I got out and got running I felt great and I was back home just as the kids were waking up. The only downside of my new route is having to cross roads with traffic lights etc - I don't want to stop once I get going.

The weather is getting considerably colder now so not sure what will happen when ice and snow arrive but will just keep going for the moment. I don't want to run on a treadmill but may have no choice. Looking forward to Thursday now!

Oct 8, 2011
    28. Oct 18, 2011 2:14 PM (in response to Strawberry29)

I was scheduled to do W2D3 today, but I'm moving this back to tomorrow.  Up until now any soreness I've experienced was gone by the next morning, but after running Sunday morning I was still sore all of yesterday and a little this morning.  Considering I didn't take the two days off between weeks, and I am trying to be careful about pushing myself too hard and hurting myself, I'll just take the two consecutive days off now.  It's nothing I couldn't work through, but I'm trying to listen to my body a little.  I'll be running tomorrow, sore or not.

Race Results:

Oct 11, 2011
    29. Oct 19, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to pjo1966)

W2D2 completed this morning. Very proud of myself! Mid 40s temps and drizzle - I felt dedicated <g>

Breathing was easier today than it was on Monday, calves were definitely better.

Moving right along, still waiting for any of it to feel "easy"

1 2 3 4 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...