Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30113 Views 176 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2012 10:44 AM by Hawkfan79 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • Strawberry29 Expert 47 posts since
    Sep 26, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    165. Mar 1, 2012 4:03 AM (in response to pjo1966)
    Starting Monday, Oct 10th

You need to work on your pace??!!! I just about managed 4.88km in 34 minutes last night! I think there are faster walkers than me. Last day in work today after almost 9 years. Ran last night so that I would get some sleep!

Weather here is lovely and mild and it is so nice to go running and not have to battle ice/rain/high winds. Love springtime. Hoping to get out again tomorrow.Have now put runkeeper app on my smart phone - GPS did not work last night so had to use mapmyrun once I got home to see how far I went. Going to get someone to have a look at the app and see if I have it set up correctly. Me+technology=disaster!!!

• ssregatta Amateur 24 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    166. Mar 10, 2012 1:54 PM (in response to Strawberry29)

Hi guys,

I won't b running in my st pattys day race because I'm going to have shoulder surgery later this week... So I found a 5k (this morning) and went a 33.37 !  It was pretty brutal... I have not been having very good training runs... However, I really wanted to push myself because this is going to be my last 5k for awhile.  I had absolutely no extra energy to sprint that last .1 - the finish was inside the Tennessee Titans stadium, tried to soak in the atmosphere and just get to that darn finish line.  Going from pavement to a football field was interesting.  Pleased with the time and effort, but I'm beat. 

Hope u all are doing well!

Sep 26, 2011
    168. Apr 2, 2012 2:48 AM (in response to pjo1966)

Anyone still running? Haven't been out in 3 weeks. New job, travelling, sick kids, trying to study etc so just haven't had a minute. On a day off today so got out and ran this morning. Made 20 minutes and then had to stop going up a hill. Took me 35 minutes to do 4.5km. Terrible! How quickly you lose it if you don't keep it up. Anyway back runnig this morning. Was really tough but glad to be back out there. It will be a struggle getting out with things being so busy but I am going to squeeze it in somewhere in my schedule. Well done Ssregatta on the 5K (fantastic time!) and I hope the surgery went well.

• Hawkfan79 Amateur 33 posts since
    Oct 8, 2011
    170. May 22, 2012 10:43 AM (in response to pjo1966)

I was just coming to add a "Who's still going?" post, but I seem to have missed the last one.

I am still running, though not as regularly or as long as I'd like.  On average I'm running 2.5-3 miles about twice a week.  But every time I feel depressed about how little I'm running, I remind myself how impossible that would have been last fall and I feel a little better.  Not a lot better, but a little.

The running buddy thing hasn't worked out lately.  Instead of adding our motivation together to keep going, we ended up doubling our excuses to not go out.  I liked running with him, but I won't count on it anymore.

I went and picked up some Vibram's this week.  Mostly I've just been walking around in them but I've jogged a mile or so twice.  I'm not as enthusiastic as some people are about them, but I do like them, especially running in them.  I ran once in my "fancy" running shoes afterwards and they already felt heavy and make it hard for me to NOT heel strike.  After I got them I figured I should read Born to Run as it's seems to be popular enough to be cliche.  I only wish I'd read it sooner.  From the beginning to the end I felt like I wanted to go run a 50-miler.

It does seem that a nice side effect of my running is that my wife has seen how it's made me feel better and I'm pretty sure that she's going to try c25k with me.  I'm going to start from the beginning with her as soon as we get her some shoes and clothes that she'll be comfortable jogging in.  Timing this with getting the Vibram's should work well as it'll allow me to work my way up as my lower legs/feet get stronger.

Race Results:

12/17/11 - Santa Runs Tacoma 5k - 39:19 (My first race!)

3/17/12 - St Paddy's Day Run Tacoma 5k - 35:50

Nov 7, 2011
    171. May 24, 2012 10:34 AM (in response to Hawkfan79)

Hey guys!

I am so sorry for not posting much... Its been a CRAZY couple of months!  Surgery was a success, I had bone and scar tissue removed.  No anchors or sutures needed... so my recovery was (is) a lot shorter than I originally thought.  Very good news.  Anyways, I have run only two times since I had surgery.  One was a 20 minute run (with a 30 sec rest at the 10 min mark because I thought I was going to throw up).  The other one was today... I have finally found some energy and got to the gym this morning.  I had "the urge" to run on the treadmill.... But only did it for 10 min.  Better than nothing... I will and hope to improve upon that quickly.  I can start swimming next week... Looking forward to more endorphins... Hee hee!

Hawkfan, Have fun exercising with your wife!  I was thrilled to have my husband join me (except when the little stinker smoked out a high 27 in a 5k this month and he was barely training).  I am going to go buy the book you read... I need all the motivation I can get.

Pjo, I hope your speed training is going well!

Strawberry, hope things have calmed down for you and you are able to get some runs in. We had the flu and strep take over our house last month... It really wore me out!

Sep 26, 2011
    173. Jun 26, 2012 2:35 PM (in response to pjo1966)

Sorry I disappeared there for a while. Was really busy with exams and kids and work and all the rest. The bad news is that I stopped running altogether at the end of April. I am disgusted with myself for stopping. Anyway I miss it terribly and want to start again but lacking the motivation to get out and run. I literally make every excuse under the sun so that I don't have to run. I even brought work home with me this evening!! Feeling particulary bad after 2 weeks in Italy eating pasta, ice cream and drinking a lot of red wine so I really need to get my act together now and get back out there. Have gained 4lbs also which I am not happy about!

Is anyone else still running? Anyone up for starting over or even tracking our runs and posting updates? If not I will join one of the new groups but hopefully you are all still out there running and will motivate me to do the same!

Oct 8, 2011
    174. Jun 26, 2012 5:03 PM (in response to Strawberry29)

If I was able to go to Italy for a couple weeks, I can't imagine doing anything differently than that!

I am still going here, though I'm just getting back from about a week I had to take off due to some foot pain caused by Too Much Too Soon in my Vibram's/barefoot.  I did a bit of trail running this weekend and loved it.  I don't have any close enough that I'll be doing it all the time, but whenever I get the chance, that's my new thing.  It was more difficult because of having more hills, but I'm looking at that as a good thing.

My wife has confirmed that she wants to start c25k, so I'll be starting over with her and running my normal 3ish miles on her off days.  I'm also hoping to start adding a long run on weekends.

This weekend I'm running in a fun looking mud/foam obstacle 5k (http://5kfoamfest.com/) with a guy from work.  I can't wait!

As far as tracking is concerned, I've just started using RunKeeper.  You should check it out and we can join "Street Teams" to follow others' progress.  I really only visit this site occasionally, and when I get an RSS notification of this thread being updated.

Race Results:

Nov 7, 2011
    175. Jul 4, 2012 5:47 PM (in response to Hawkfan79)

Hey guys!

I just want to start off with a huge thanks to Hawkfan for mentioning Born To Run.  I went out and bought it right away.  The book was incredible and I reccommend it to ANY athlete!!!  Wow, it was a phenomenal story and I am going to read it again while I am at the beach next week.  Thank you so much!!!!!

Well, I had been doing very well in the exercising department since I had last posted.  However, recently I felt a POP in my ankle while I was jogging... and wouldnt you know it... I have a stress fracture in my heel.  Sooo, I get to wear a boot for 3 weeks.  The good news is I can still swim and take the boot off to play in the sand and gulf of mexico on our vacation.  That being said, I am not sure when I will return to running.  I will probably get on the elliptical when the boot comes off.

Strawberry, your time in Italy sounds absolutely fabulous and Im glad you enjoyed yourself!  Good luck starting again, it will be much easier the second time around!  Get that Born To Run book... Omg its perfect for getting yourself motivated!

Hope your runs are getting better Pjo!

Hawkfan, how was foamfest?  :)

Off to watch the fireworks, have a great summer everyone!

Oct 8, 2011
    176. Jul 6, 2012 10:44 AM (in response to ssregatta)

Glad you liked it!  I've already read it 3 times myself.

Sorry to hear about the injury.  Hopefully the healing process won't take too long.

The foamfest was a blast!  The only thing I'd have changed would be to have smaller groups of people racing, as we spent quite a while standing in line for some of the obstacles.

Here are a few pics.

In the first one, we just finished a belly crawl through mud under some barbed wire.  That's me on the right in the yellow shirt running with a friend.
    In the second pic, that's my foot sticking up as I fell into the water.

And in the third pic that's me finishing the last foam filled slip and slide at the finish line.

http://imgur.com/a/lgeTB

Race Results:

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...