Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30110 Views 176 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2012 10:44 AM by Hawkfan79 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Previous Next
  • Strawberry29 Expert 47 posts since
    Sep 26, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    31. Oct 20, 2011 1:52 PM (in response to pjo1966)
    Starting Monday, Oct 10th

W2 D2 done - went out this evening. Managed all of the intervals. I still found the 4th 90 second run tough but kept going this time. Did 3.2km in 28.50... not exactly record breaking speed but really feel like I'm making progress. Like you pjo1966 I'm considering heading to the park for my next run. My problem is how dark it gets early here - from next week, it will be dark about 6pm so by the time I get home from work, the park will not be an option for me. Running at night is tough going after a long day at work and 2 kids who have head colds and are not sleeping very well. Anyway after I got the kids to bed tonight, I put on my running gear, out the door and just got stuck in. Feeling great now that I am back, showered and sitting on the couch with a large bottle of cold water.

Was disappointed not to have lost any weight this week - stayed exactly the same weight but hopefully this week I will see a few pounds come off. I do feel much better and definitely find myself to be in better humour at work and at home. I'm putting it all down to the running! I'm starting studying for exams in January so running will ease some of the stress of that as well. W2 D3 on Saturday for me hopefully. How is everyone else getting on?

• Hawkfan79 Amateur 33 posts since
    Oct 8, 2011
    32. Oct 20, 2011 7:45 PM (in response to Strawberry29)

I intended to take two days off, but life got in the way so I ended up with three days off.  I wouldn't say running every other day is a habit yet, but apparently it is becoming a bit routine for me and I felt out of that routine today.

I did complete w2d3 though, totalling 2.4 miles.  Once I actually got going it felt pretty good again.

About the running routing/location, my commute is 60-90 minutes each way so with the shorter days I don't have many options.  Luckily I found a small lake near work with a paved trail that roughly circles the lake (and a neighborhood or two) that is 2.6 miles around.  I've found that if I head there right after work I still have enough daylight and a bonus of slightly lighter traffic on the way home.

Race Results:

12/17/11 - Santa Runs Tacoma 5k - 39:19 (My first race!)

3/17/12 - St Paddy's Day Run Tacoma 5k - 35:50

• RhondaWants2Run Amateur 16 posts since
    Oct 11, 2011
    33. Oct 21, 2011 6:54 AM (in response to pjo1966)

W2D3 is done! By the time I sit down to write I am feeling great; proud that I completed the day, slight muscle ache reminding me that I really did it.

But when I'm actually running; that's a bit of a struggle. During the run I just keep telling myself a little further, a little further. During the final cooldown walk I like to remind myself that one day I will enjoy running.

Luckily I don't have a problem with where to run other than some inclines. I live in a subdivision; so my only problem is getting past the fact that people might actually see me.

Sep 26, 2011
    35. Oct 23, 2011 2:33 AM (in response to pjo1966)

W2 D3 done! Still struggled with 4th interval of running and had to stop for about 30 seconds but started up again and added 2 more intervals of running after my 25 minutes were up to make for having to stop. I was enjoying being out in daylight (my run was Sunday morning at 9am) so decided to keep walking/jogging. Completed a 5k loop in 40 minutes 50 seconds. I did lots of stretching and some yoga when I got home - my 2 kids joined in with the stretching and yoga which was very funny!

Rhonda - I know what you mean about people seeing you - the other night when I was doing one of the walking intervals this big guy passed me jogging and yelled out 'get running - stop walking' and started laughing. I was so annoyed but seeing as it was dark, raining and he looked like he weighed about 100 pounds more than me, I decided to just ignore him!

Anyway have to say I am actually enjoying getting out now.I was really looking forward to getting out this morning. I get some quiet time to think on the walk back and have to say I am more inclined to study as well after a run. That and I am actually doing something to improve my health and fitness... all good!

Starting W3 on Tuesday. Husband is on nights for the next week so will be difficult to get out - will have to be up and out at 6am as he comes in and back by 7am so he can go to bed. Happy running everyone!

Oct 8, 2011
    36. Oct 23, 2011 5:51 PM (in response to Strawberry29)

W3D1 complete.

By the end of the first 3 minute run I was REALLY looking forward to hearing that it was time to walk.  Then I stopped running to walk for about 15 seconds during the 2nd 3 minute run.

Race Results:

Oct 11, 2011
    37. Oct 24, 2011 6:51 AM (in response to pjo1966)

Week 3 Day 1 is done! 

I started psyching myself up for the 3 minutes last week; telling myself 3 minutes was doable, just have to put one foot in front of the other and reminding myself that I only had to do it twice. Based on my route I had a pretty good idea of the distance and I made myself keep a slow pace. The first 3 minute interval wasn't too bad, the second 3 minute interval I wasn't quite ready for the cue to say Run, but I did and it wasn't too bad. I was able to complete all the intervals and I am super proud. I've never run 3 minutes straight in my life. I know if I can do 3, I can do 5.

With that said, I may repeat this week. Over the weekend I have had some pain in one of my knees, although I had little to no pain while I was running this morning. But I wonder if I need to give my body time to catch up a little. We'll see how I feel next weekend.

Sep 26, 2011
    39. Oct 25, 2011 3:40 AM (in response to pjo1966)

Was supposed to run W3 D1 this morning but due to constant rain for past 2 days, all of the roads here are flooded so no running for me this morning. Couldn't get to the office either as our childminder's house is flooded and she couldn't get to our house to mind my daughter.... anyway weather seems to be improving now so hoping I can get out for 30 minutes this evening. Definitely will not be skipping week 3 - have a feeling it might take me 2 weeks to get all of 3 minute runs completed. Got absolutely soaked with rain when dropping my son off at preschool....it is going to be one of those days!! Going to try and get to the office once my dear husband gets up - he is working nights and is exhausted. Works with the emergency services and they had a very busy night with all the flooding. Will post later if I manage to get out running.

Oct 8, 2011
    41. Oct 27, 2011 7:58 PM (in response to pjo1966)

I'm done with Week 3 now.  Like the previous weeks, each day seemed a little easier than the last.

I think running for 5 minutes next week is going to be tough, but then again 3 minutes was absolutely impossible for me a couple weeks ago.

I've also done a bit more reading on proper stretching hoping that it might help with the sore calves.  While they are a little tender today, they aren't near as bad as before.

Race Results:

Oct 11, 2011
    42. Oct 28, 2011 6:59 AM (in response to pjo1966)

Week 3 is done.

A little scared about the 5 minute runs next week, but I'll just keep telling myself if I can do 3 then I can do 5 and if I have to repeat next week then we'll do it.

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend.

Sep 26, 2011
    44. Oct 28, 2011 1:56 PM (in response to pjo1966)

Week 3 D2 done (a little behind everyone else) Hoping to do W3 D3 on Sunday afternoon and then on the W4 on Tuesday. Found the 3 minute runs easier today. The 2nd set was far harder and my pace was so slow I'm sure people driving past were having a good laugh but I made it through and was delighted.

No work for me until Tuesday so going to have a nice long weekend with my kids and hopefully squeeze in a run on Sunday at some point. Actually scared of 5 minute runs next week but then again I didn't think I could manage 3 minute runs so just have to try it out and see.

Will be interested to hear how you all get on next week. pjo1966 - sounds like you are getting on really well. I haven't even looked at W5 is yet in case I decide I can't do it!

Have a good weekend everyone.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...