Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2666 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2011 6:13 PM by Coach Ken RSS
MissMoRunner Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 9, 2011 7:42 AM

Stumped: Shin splints or stress fracture?

After scouring the internet for a couple days about the differences between shin splits and a stress fracture (which, admittedly, are very minimal), I am completely stumped about which injury is causing the pain in my right shin. I could use whatever insight y'all could give me!

The pain started 2-3 weeks ago as a combination of minimal pain the middle of my shin (the inner part, closest to my right leg) AND a soreness in the small "bulb" part of the bone that's to the right side of where my shin bones and calf bones meet. I didn't think much of it, and was able to run without any pain for a week. After that week of no pain while running, I experienced pain in my shin at the beginning of my runs, which subsided after about a mile (which led me to believe that the pain was shin splints). After my runs, the shin pain would return with a vengeance--so much so that I began to worry that the injury could be something more serious. My shin hurts while walking up and down stairs, and sometimes just while walking (it's not a shooting pain, but it's enough for me to be aware of it), which is more suggestive of a stress fracture (I think, yes?). I've also tried the "jump test" I've read about, where one jumps off of the toe, landing toe to heel: if one experiences pain while doing so, it's indicative of a stress fracture. (If there's no pain, the injury is most likely shin splints.) I experience pain while jumping.

I'll also note that, rather than a dull pain along all of my shin, the pain seems to be more localized to a spot about an inch wide right in the middle and inside of my shin (which I think is more characteristic of a stress fracture). It's almost like the pain is located behind/underneath my bone, on a tendon of muscle--it's very tender to the touch.

(As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that my symptoms look more like a stress fractuce, but I stil definitely welcome opinions! I'll take all of the advice I can get.)

Anywho, I didn't run at all last week (I did about an hour Tuesday-Friday on the elliptical, which felt fine on my shin), and have an appt. with a sports doctor on Saturday. I was supposed to run a half marathon on Saturday, but I think it would be wisest to sit it out. (As must at I'm itching to race it!) Thoughts on this? If the pain is better by, say, Wednesday, could I run the half? Or is this too risky?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,150 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Oct 9, 2011 9:02 AM (in response to MissMoRunner)

I think you've done a pretty good job of self-diagnosis, which may be difficult for a physician to confirm conclusively until there is enough calcium build-up around the probable stress fracture to become visible in a scan.

However, what worries me is that equipped with all this information, you doubt your own credibility enough to even think about running that Half. Give yourself some credit, because you did a great job researching this. Just because you may not know for sure until after the Half, is not an out for you! Shame!

Lol, I know how difficult it is to put down that competitive animal inside. I once limped up to the starting line for a Half I had trained well for and was dying to run. My heroes were there, and the weather was perfect. I limped back to my car instead, watching the winners (my heroes) come in was worth swallowing my pride. Since I paid my way in like everybody else, I enjoyed some of the post-race chow - with a little guilt, I might add, and some deference to their earned hunger - looking exceptionally fresh to the marvel of other runners (sure, I fessed up after playing with it a bit). I hope you will not have as close a call as I did to making the mistake of running on an unknown injury. The event, even if you already paid, will still be fun. You'll be back.. If you can make both the race festivities and your appointment, I say do them both (without running). Maybe you can delay the appointment to make this possible. Regardless, enjoy your recovery and heal well!

• Akelly7 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    2. Oct 19, 2011 3:24 PM (in response to MissMoRunner)

Hi MissMoRunner,

I am experiencing very similar shin pain that you are describing...and I have also done lots of research online over the last few days about the difference between stress fracture and shin splints.  It does seem that I may have a stress fracture as well.  I am very close to making a doctor appointment, as my pain has been about a month now, but so worried about what the doctor will say..."no running for 6-8 weeks..."  A runner's worst nightmare!  I would be very interested to hear how your doctor appointment went and if you did indeed have a stress fracture.

Thank you and hope to hear from you!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Oct 20, 2011 8:06 PM (in response to MissMoRunner)

I have to wonder about your changes to your footplant.  It may just be a matter of terminology, calling it "toe strike running".  A good forefoot strike does not land on the toes.  Initial contact is on the ball of the foot, with the midfoot and heel following quickly before pronation and toe-off.  So your toes are not really involved until the end.  If you have been landing on and staying on your toes, that may very well have contributed to your shin splints.  Check the pictures of forefoot strike at this web site (right column of pictures).

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

Len

Len

• Coach Ken Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 1, 2008
    6. Oct 21, 2011 6:13 PM (in response to MissMoRunner)

For readers who want to know more about how better form canhelp improve their running and help prevent injuries, this video series will help you.

RunningForm Video Series>>>>   http://www.TransFORM-Your-Running.com

Courtesy of <ahref="http://www.transform-your-running.com">Running</a> Coach

Ken at 5 Speed Running

Have Fun and Get It Done!

Online Running Coach

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points