Skip navigation

4026 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2011 8:53 PM by Michael_Taylor RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 11, 2011 2:03 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)
    Re: Take off that bandaid

Again, I've seen distracting jewelry, tattoos, hair styles, and hand motions of MUCH greater magnitude on other pitchers.  I've also seen flash cameras by the thousands, and heard deafening levels of roars, whistles, drums and thundersticks.  Professional batters don't let any of those bother them.

If it was on his throwing arm, yeah, that's a different story.  But it's on his face!  And it's tan in color, not optic yellow or mirrored.  If anything, it's a "WTF?" for no more than two or three seconds, then it's nothing.

So, if a pitcher bleaches his fu manchu moustache blonde ala Hulk Hogan, you gonna advocate a quick shave?  If a white pitcher had a huge purple shiner from a batted ball or a fight with his girlfriend, are you gonna require him to stay off the mound until it lightens up?

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    16. Oct 11, 2011 6:44 PM (in response to Manny_A)
    Take off that bandaid

It's abnormal.  The other stuff is things we're used to seeing, thus not a distraction.

You really really didn't find your eyes drawn to the bandage?

You really really don't find yourself drawn to looking at the abnormal?

It takes awhile to register things as normal.  2-3 seconnds won't hack it for most folks.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    17. Oct 12, 2011 7:12 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

I would opine, for a pro batter, the band-aid might be an "eye magnet" for a "look-see" while in the on-deck circle; once in the batter's box the batter's "eye magnet" becomes the positioning of the defensive players...., then the  pitcher's pitching hand and the pitcher's release of the ball. If a pro batter is legitimately  "bothered" by a facial band-aid he needs to spend more time with his batting coach; and facing  a BP pitcher with a "larger than Texas"  band-aid on said pitcher's forehead.

Maybe some Yankee batters can work on that during the off-season and next spring----IF their manager is/was right.

Again, as I mentioned before----in my lifetime I have seen MLB pitchers wearing either a band-aid or a tissue covering a razor cut----some covering more than one cut..  No problem, no complaint registered by the opposing team.

I tend to agree, that Girardi's "complaint" was retaliatory for a complaint registered by the Tigers in a previous game; no more no less.

Just musing:  but if a batter comes to bat with a band-aid on his face would that be grounds for a pitcher's complaint as being a distracting "eye magnet'---taking the pitcher's focus off  his catcher's hand signals or target glove?   [ Right! Not the issue here! ]

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    18. Oct 12, 2011 7:20 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Rich_Ives wrote:

You really really didn't find your eyes drawn to the bandage?

You really really don't find yourself drawn to looking at the abnormal?

Yeah, I would be slightly taken aback the first time I saw it, which would be from the dugout or on-deck circle.  But not after I get in the box and focus on the task at hand.  I agree with Frank; if a professional player still has his eyes drawn to the bandage well after he notices it, well, he doesn't deserve to be a professional player.  He would also have trouble batting against these guys:

http://clutch.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/jenks-duo-whitesox-575.jpg

http://clutch.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/franklin-duo-cardinals-575.jpg

http://clutch.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/rollie-duo-asbrewers-575.jpg

http://clutch.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/brianwilson-good-wide.jpg

http://www.rothmansny.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/hrabosky.jpg

C'mon, Rich; it's not like the mole scene in Austin Powers.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    19. Oct 12, 2011 11:26 AM (in response to Manny_A)
    Take off that bandaid

I did not see any of the action shots and only briefly looked at the article, but I'm finding it hard to believe that this is an issue in a Major League Ball game.

oops

May 30, 2007
    20. Oct 12, 2011 1:47 PM (in response to HugoTafurst)

I would "bet the house" that if  one asked the Yankee hitters privately----one on one---especially nice guy Jeter, if a band-aid on a pitcher's face  was  a distraction while at-bat---the answer would be "no-way."       Manager's attempted mind-game aside---which did not work! Subject relief pitcher retired the next five Yankee batters----ending the ball game!  A loss for the Yanks!

If "audacity" was a splinter--Gerardi would be owning a lumber yard for pulling that stunt.

P.S  Someone please remind me, Joe Gerardi, and others here, to watch for a Yankee pitcher needing and wearing a facial band-aid next year.

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    21. Oct 12, 2011 9:28 PM (in response to Lou_B)

OK Guys - your anti-Yankee bias is showing.

This gamesmanship happens a lot more than you think.

Someone (can't remember who) once complained that Francona didn't have a team jersey on under his sweatshirt.

The Yankees aren't the ones that made Pedro change undershirts because the sleeve lengths weren't the same.

The Yankees weren't the ones that made Davis Wells (on the Yankees at the time) change gloves because of its color.

The Yankees aren't the ones who made whats-his-name wear a long sleeve shirt because his tattoos were distracting.

There was a big stink years ago when a Yankee pitcher was required to remove his neck chain.

But darn, if the Yankes pull a stunt it's enough to ban them for life.

Gee - it ranks right up there with bat waving.

Gimme a break.

May 25, 2007
    22. Oct 13, 2011 3:38 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)
    Take off that bandaid

Rich, my response has nothing to do with any Yankee bias.  I just don't condone any of that kind of gamesmanship, that's all.  And I certainly don't care for it when the stakes are high.  You didn't see the Red Sox or the Braves pull those stunts as they were in their respective free-falls in September, did you?

All of your examples, as far as I'm concerned, are BS stunts.  IMHO, that kind of crap has no place in the game, whether it goes for or against the Yankees or any other team.

Teams should play to win through their skills, not through head-games.

May 30, 2007
    23. Oct 13, 2011 8:37 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Conversely, it can be said, YOUR Yankee pro-bias is showing!

The band-aid issue has nothing to do with anti-Yankee bias..... but nice try!!

Much surprised you would level that charge.  

Your comment/charge "ranks right there with"  ....."I've shot my load guys---have nothing more to say to defend my position or defend Gerardi's complaint."

Plus---the Pedro sleeve length (complaint) example you brought forward is supported by rule; as was the Wells' glove example. The Francona jersey issue edict came out of the Commissioner's office.  [According to Jerry Remy at the time.] Actually, what "gamemanship" in re to a manager's jersey?----Didn't impact a game, delay or otherwise--- in any way, shape, or manner..

No matter the team or manager involved; the band-aid issue debated this thread stands alone-----absent bias!

You said it right with......"if the Yankees pull a stunt"---calling it what it was: "stunt"--->  being the key word. Definition of which speaks to Gerardi's complaint.

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    24. Oct 13, 2011 8:45 AM (in response to Lou_B)

So how many here would be bringing it up and trashing manager and team if it had been the Rangers or Tigers or Brewers?

If folks want to think actions (like bat waving or bandaids) are BS that's fine - just apply it evenly.

And since when are head games somehow not part of sports.  Been there since the beginning. Won't be stopping anytime soon.

May 25, 2007
    25. Oct 13, 2011 9:33 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Rich_Ives wrote:

So how many here would be bringing it up and trashing manager and team if it had been the Rangers or Tigers or Brewers?

I would, for one.  Heck, if it had been Leyland that brought something up like this against a Yankees pitcher, I would be offering the same opinion.

Rich_Ives wrote:

And since when are head games somehow not part of sports.  Been there since the beginning. Won't be stopping anytime soon.

Not debating that.  I fully realize head games have always been a part of all sports.  My point was that I personally don't like them.  I also don't like home plate collisions, retaliatory pitches, flops to draw fouls or stop the clock, etc. etc.

But to get back on topic, I also personally don't feel the bandage was that big of a distraction that I would direct the pitcher remove it.  This umpire felt otherwise, and that's his prerogative.  To each his own, I suppose.

May 30, 2007
    26. Oct 13, 2011 1:34 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Who (here) is trashing the team? IMO, None,  Manager--Yes!  Not so much as rising to the level of using your word "trashing" because, IMO---Gerardi has proven to be a good manager---but, lacking judgment  in asking for the band-aid to be removed in the case at hand.

The Tigers WERE involved---without their pitcher having to remove the band-aid----no OP, no discussion here.

And as you noted in your first post this thread---the possibility of the whole band-aid scenario came about as a retaliatory gesture by Gerardi for something the Detroit manager did in a previous game with the Yanks.

As to your question....."So how many here would be bringing it up.........if it had been the Rangers or Tigers or Brewers?"

ANS;--I would, among others here who did respond against the removal of the band-aid.

Safe to say would be "voicing" their opinions----no matter what teams/managers involved.

So, it appears, unless a poster is in complete agreement with your views on the subject, and when the Yankees are involved--[lest we be charged with   anti-Yankee biase]--we should remain "quiet." 

FYI----IF it was the Red Sox manager-[as we bow our heads]-- who  asked that the band-aid be removed, I would have taken, and IMO-- so would others here, the same stance as I have on the subject before us.

You're good with making your point(s) citing baseball rules, posting rules, on just about all baseball rule sets---and your input re rules on these boards is valued and appreciated

But on issues involving the Yankees-----at times your objectivity--[if any]- -gives way to subjectivity; but you are entitled to your views----as we who do not agree.

Read again the OP's question!!!

Lou,---IMHO--knew his OP would be an interesting thread/subject, inviting varied discourse on an otherwise slow board.

Frank!

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    27. Oct 15, 2011 8:53 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)
    Take off that bandaid

Rich:

I will freely admit I have a HUGE anti-Yankee bias. It is as much fun to watch them lose as it is to watch Dallas lose. It has nothing to do with saying it was a BS complaint. That's not to say some of your other examples don't fall in the same boat. I was shocked when I heard both NY and Philly lost.

Michael S. Taylor

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...