Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1116 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2011 1:32 PM by Leadville Fan
Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
Oct 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 11, 2011 1:41 PM

Advise for Marathon virgin?

Any insights for people running their first marathon. . . 2 weeks away, give or take, and I'm starting to freak out!

-cut toenails

-try to remember to start slow/conserve

Run with Nathan hand held with strong solution of Cytomax, since that's what I'm use to and the race doesn't have that.

--should I run with a fuel belt for extra water, or just go with what's on the course?

???

anything else to consider?  think of? ???

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
  • runnerford09 Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 5, 2011
    2. Oct 11, 2011 2:35 PM (in response to Leadville Fan)

Set a goal to at least finish if you haven't already and enjoy it. Regardless of the outcome. I have run three Marathons all in Chicago. One half In Lake Geneva, WI. and several 5k's and still learning.

A 1/2 is much easier for me than the full. in ea of the three I ran had a much different experience.

Check out my post in the Med tent about Marathons and side by side "necessary" dodging. That is, dodging of other runners. Not sure how many runners will be in you Marathon but I highly recommend getting into you pace group in the corral to avoid having to maneuver around other runners slower than you. For me I'm finding that doing that is hurting me long term in the 26.2.

I run with my Nathan water belt, I do this to avoid having to get to the water and navigating around people to do so. If you didn't train with the belt I wouldn't recommend it though as it is added weight and a moving part on you.

Just my learnings after three...

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Oct 11, 2011 5:21 PM (in response to Leadville Fan)

Nothing is going to tell you "everything you need to know".  The experience will get you closer but you'll probably end up with a new set of questions.  The answers are very individual.

- Picked out what you'll wear? For a range of weather?

- Got your shoes picked out and ready?

- Have your taper schedule worked out?

- What are you fueling with? The Cytomax? Will that be enough?

- You should be fine with the water on the course.

- Got your transportation/parking figured out?

- Make sure you get there early, and get in the porta-potti line early.

- Stop drinking and eating 2 hours before the start.  This is somewhat individual, but you don't want to get 2 or 3 miles and have to go.

- Don't be afraid to walk.

I'm sure there's more which isn't coming to mind right now.  Most of all, enjoy the experience.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Oct 12, 2011 5:06 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Get up early so you can eat approx 400-500 cals 2 hours before your race.  Don't go out to fast you can not bank time in a marathon!!!!!!  As Len asked you do you have enough Cytomax to last you for the entire race, 100-120 cals every 35-45 mins?  Most of all enjoy the experience, it's a great feeling of accomplishment!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points