Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3045 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2011 4:53 PM by lenzlaw
blaze48173 Amateur 24 posts since
Jun 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 11, 2011 3:47 PM

Last Long Run !!

This week is the beginning of my Marathon Season, I'm running the Detroit Freepress Half Marathon on Sunday the 16th, and the New York City Marathon on November 6th.

When should I do my last long Run before NY??

• JoeLoureiro Expert 44 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    1. Oct 12, 2011 5:43 AM (in response to blaze48173)
    Last Long Run !!

Depending on your build up to the race (mileage wise), and your taper plan, you should do your last long run 2 to 3 weeks before the race. The half marathon that you're running on the 16th can be considered your long run, as you'll most likely be going at a faster pace than your normal long run. Additionally, if you include a couple of nice easy slow miles before and after the half, you can turn this into a 15-20 mile day. The two weekends in between NYC can include 10-12 mile easy long runs.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Oct 12, 2011 5:59 AM (in response to JoeLoureiro)
    Last Long Run !!

I agree with Joe's advice, I like to do 2 X 2 miles mix in with my last long run @ about 20-30 sec faster than race pace to get my legs firing that last long run week.

• SJRUN Expert 55 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    3. Oct 12, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to blaze48173)
    Last Long Run !!

I have  a similar question..... So I'll also be appreciative of any help.

I'm also running in NY Marathon on 11/6, and planned to do the Syracuse half-marathon on 10/16 (same as above).

My problem is I'm still nursing a little bit of tendonitis behind my knee...did a 6+ mile run this morning and felt fine until mile 6 and decided to stop due to the twinge that grew into outright pain.

So I'm thinking probably that I should rest the knee for a week and not do the half-marathon.  But if I do that, I can't see fitting in another long run before NYC, which I'd like to do.

This knee thing is residual following my last long run, 21-miles on Oct.2.  I've run only lightly in between.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Blaze48173 -  See you on the Verrazano!

"If you think you will fail or that you will succeed, you'll be right."

Recent and Upcoming Races:

New York NY - ING NY Marathon, Nov. 6, 2011 - Finish time 4:53:24

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Oct 12, 2011 11:18 AM (in response to SJRUN)
    Last Long Run !!

Lots of other posters have more experience and knowledge than I do.  I tend to think rest will do you more good than running the 1/2.  You have all ready gone for 21 so you can do the distance.  If you run the 1/2 you have a chance that it will make you knee worst, sure if you were feeling good the 1/2 would be a great run for where you are in your cycle.  I would rest and see if you can get the knee back to 100%.    Best of luck!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Oct 12, 2011 1:47 PM (in response to SJRUN)
    Re: Last Long Run !!

Skip the half if you have any kind of injury/possible injury.  Aggravating the injury is not worth it.  Work on healing in time for the marathon.  The additional long run might be nice but getting rid of that nagging tendonitis would be a lot better.

Len

Len

• SJRUN Expert 55 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    6. Oct 13, 2011 2:37 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Last Long Run !!

Thanks a lot lenzlaw and BOSNPM, for the sage counsel. 

One more question and I swear I'll quit whining and pestering: 

Can you suggest any alternative workouts or activities if I'm not putting in miles?  I can swim, and do some upper body stuff....but want to keep as much fitness as possible. 

Any thoughts on that score?  I'm sure you've been here....any ideas will be very much appreciated.

(thanks again....that's it now....I won't annoy anymore)

sj

"If you think you will fail or that you will succeed, you'll be right."

Recent and Upcoming Races:

New York NY - ING NY Marathon, Nov. 6, 2011 - Finish time 4:53:24

• JoeLoureiro Expert 44 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    7. Oct 13, 2011 4:33 PM (in response to SJRUN)
    Last Long Run !!

SJ

Rest = rest

However, walking is always an option, along with the exercises that you list. You can also check out the Active.com article on "How to Prevent and Treat Common Running Injuries". This next article has some great exercises for overall body strength conditioning. I use a few of these in my post run routine.

Speedy recovery,

Joe

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Oct 13, 2011 4:53 PM (in response to SJRUN)
    Last Long Run !!

SJRUN, anything that doesn't aggravate your knee. If you can do elliptical, biking, swimming, walking, painfree, they're all good.  You may be best doing short workouts, which help strengthen the muscles around the knee and give you an aerobic workout, but stop short of hurting.  I once hurt myself around mile 16 of my last long run, did nothing for two weeks and ran short (3 miles) twice in the last week.  I ran the marathon conservatively and finished OK.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points