Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

39642 Views 260 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 11:19 AM by DaveInAuburn RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next
  • kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Dec 10, 2011 7:50 PM (in response to RTeps)
    Starting C25K on 10/17 anybody else?

Ryan, WOW, what a scary run with the bobcat!  Yes,being aware of our surroundings is important.  Glad it all ended well!

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

• DaveInAuburn Expert 54 posts since
    Oct 17, 2011
    211. Dec 12, 2011 2:01 AM (in response to kathruns)

Wow Ryan, that's a new one!  And to think I was annoyed this morning at the crows.  :-) 

Ryan, my 3.13 miles was 30:56, so a 9:53 pace.  This week I am struggling a little in the pace department - not sure why.  Today I did W9D1 and at 2.5 miles my pace was about the same.  Unfortunately right at that mark my phone battery died so the tracker died with it.  I actually ran about 3 miles but the exact amount is of course not clear.  Regardless, I'd like my last two runs before my 5K to be stronger than they've been lately.  It'd be nice to have a little margin!  :-)

Total sidenote, but yesterday at work I felt like my face was sunburned or something.  I was too busy to even take the time to go look in the mirror until last night when I came home.  I think it is Hives - red splotches with welts and blisters in a handful of spots around my face and up into my scalp.  Wierd.  They are slightly less pronounced today and seem to be sort of scabbed over, but still very odd.  I'm gonna watch them for a few days and as long as they continue to subside I'm gonna skip the doctor route (why start now - I was hoping to wait until after my 45th birthday next month to finally break down and visit one). 

The other thing today - as mentioned before - is that it was raining in the morning when I drove to the place I run, but then it stopped for the entire time I ran, then started again when I got back in the car.  That's 9 weeks in Seattle - 25 runs - and not one rained out.  I'm not sure if that's good luck or bad luck.  lol

Anyhow, WEEK 9!! Who woulda thunk?

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 22, 2011
    212. Dec 12, 2011 7:58 AM (in response to fyrfyter535)
    Re: Starting C25K on 10/17 anybody else?

W9D1 completed this morning!  I did somewhere between 3.1 - 3.2 miles in the 30 minutes.  I wish I had something to calculate my actual mileage/pace.  It was an extremely foggy, humid morning out here and the temp was probably around 70 at 6:30 am.  I was totally soaked when I finished..so I felt like I ran in the rain!

Dave, hope your hives or splotches go away soon!  Sounds like a reaction to something....did you eat something different lately?

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

• RTeps Expert 51 posts since
    Oct 13, 2011
    213. Dec 13, 2011 3:47 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

W9D1 done today!  I have to say it did not feel good.  Has anyone had days like that?  Of course I think I know why.  I went to lunch with a good friend today and he wanted to go to Five Guys Burgers and Fries.  I think the Bacon cheeseburger didn't help any...I have been pretty good on the diet and blew it today with that lunch.  Felt like a cinderblock in my stomach on the run.  That being said, I still got the run done so that is good....never again will I have a burger before a run.  OUCH!

Dave: Wow, that is a good pace in my mind.  I am right above the 10 min/mile mark on average so good job!  It is truly unbelievable that you have run for 9 weeks in Seattle without getting rained on.  I lived in Seattle back in 1998-99 when there were 98 straight days of rain without stopping...that was a miserable winter!

Kat2run: Great job on your pace too.  This is all so encouraging to me.

Has anyone heard from Kimmee lately?

-Ryan

Started C25K on 10/17/2011, Finished C25K on 12/17/2011!

Completed and continue to do P90X

Goal is to lose 30-40 pounds!

The Thin Blue Line!

Oct 17, 2011
    214. Dec 14, 2011 1:19 AM (in response to RTeps)

Kat2Run, you're doing great!  I wish it was warm here in Seattle, but while we've had very little rain for my runs, it's been cold (for Seattle).  Most of my runs lately it's been in the 30's, including today when it was probably 35 or so.  Brrrr....  Oh, and the Hives have been much better since then, and are slowly healing up.  I look like somewhat smacked me around, but they feel fine and it gives me something (else) to talk about.  ha ha  Thanks for asking! 

Ryan, thanks for the encouragement.  I keep hoping for an improved pace and I think that's a little unrealistic and unhealthy at this stage of the game.  However, I just don't feel like I'm "moving" sometimes.  Today the worst part of my run was when a walker appeared up ahead, going in the same direction as me.  It was SO UNMOTIVATING wondering if I'd ever catch up to him, and then when I finally did I kinda wanted  to "sprint" past so that I actually looked like I was running, rather than walking fast.  Never mind the heavy breathing sound - almost like a gasping - that they have to endure for eternity while I slowly pass them on the left.  :-)  Anyhoo...

Completed W9D2 today.  I started off by going a little later than normal - probably around 11:30am vs 8a-9a, which allowed it to warm up above the freezing mark.  I also had a pretty good breakfast, so wanted to wait before going.  I normally haven't been eating beforehand because I get cramps.  Finally, I wore a different pair of shoes today for the first time since I started running.  Mind you, the normal pair and these are both just cheap walking shoes since I haven't yet invested in a good pair of running shoes yet.  Well, I think these shoes were better for me because I didn't have nearly the left knee pain as I normally do, which was nice. 

I ended up running 3.09 miles today.  My pace was much better, at 9:36 min/mile average.  That's about as good as I've done which was encouraging.  Having said that, it was just a struggle at times to keep from letting myself stop.  I don't know why but the last week or so I've struggled more than before in that area.  I have to really force myself to keep running.  Maybe that's normal, and maybe if I continue running that will diminish, but nonetheless it is not the best feeling in the world. 

Well, I have one more run on Thursday and then my 5K on Saturday.  The weather shows a low of 33 and a high of 44 that day, with partly sunny skies.  I just looked at the weather stats and so far in December we have had .03" of rain in Seattle, versus the normal total of about 2.5" at this point.  What a blessing it's been in that regard! 

Have a great week!

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

• pbacbell Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 12, 2011
    215. Dec 14, 2011 6:04 AM (in response to fyrfyter535)

After finishing W8D1 I passed a kidney stone.  Found out I have one more stone waiting to rear its ugly head.  I haven't run since. I am so sad...so close to the end and hit a set-back.  However, I made it this far and I know I will finish.  I think I am going to start at W5 again and see how I do.  Congrats to everyone who has made it this far.  You have been an encouragement and I wish you the best on all of your future runs!!

Oct 22, 2011
    216. Dec 14, 2011 9:41 AM (in response to fyrfyter535)

W9D2 done today.  I ended about the same as D1 at about 3.1-3.2 miles in the 30 minutes.

Everyone is doing so well! Ryan, I'm impressed that you even did your run after the Five Guys burger!

Dave, you are doing great!  Both of my runs this week I felt like I wanted to just stop, but after I hit the halfway mark I kept going.  I wasn't tired or anything, it was just a motivation issue for me.  Running 6 circles around my neighborhood is not all that exciting.  Good luck with the 5K and please report back to us how it went.  I have not signed up for a 5K as of yet.

pbacbell, sorry to hear about the kidney stone.  Glad to hear that you are continuing with the program.

I wonder where Kimmee is too!

What are you all going to run next week when W9 is over?  I'm debating on running 3 miles/3 times a week or 2 miles/2 times and 3 miles on the 3rd.  I don't know if that will set me back.  What I'm struggling with is that it keeps getting darker and darker in the morning and I feel like I'm rushing to get the run done and then rushing to get to work.  Running in the afternoon or evening is not an option right now.  I guess I'll see how it goes, but I need a motivation to keep me pushing on to something more.

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    217. Dec 15, 2011 11:18 AM (in response to kathruns)

Well, it went fast, but at the same time I thought it'd never happen:  I finished W9D3!  What a journey this has been. :-)  I'm proud to have stuck to it and I'm thankful for having this site to share with since I really don't have anyone doing this with me. 

Today was (thankfully) my best run yet, which is encouraging going into the 5K on Saturday. 

My stats for today:

Distance:           3.15 miles

Duration:           28:32

Ave Pace:         9:04

Ave Speed:        6.62 mph

Cal's Burned:     411   

This is the info that I got from my RunKeeper app on my phone.  Anyhow, it was definitely a good overall day, maybe because it was actually drizzling and in the low 40's - felt like normal outside!  I also think the switch in shoes before my last run is paying off a little.  I'm just so thankful that it wasn't a run where I was dying the whole time - we all know THOSE runs!  I'm expecting Saturday will be slower because it will have more hills/grades and there will be a lot of people probably getting in each other's way (I should just apologize to them now!)  Regardless, it will be an achievement. 

Have a great final week everyone.  I was reading back through the first posts in this thread last night (Ryan, we are supposed to ask how you are doing with your weight I think - I'll just say right now I've gained 2 lbs since starting this program!) and to see how we were so challenged just a few months ago and now here we are - wow!  Congratulations to us! 

I'll let you know how it goes with the 5K. 

-Dave :-)

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 13, 2011
    218. Dec 15, 2011 4:40 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

W9D2 is done!  I took my daughter to ballet with the whole family today.  Watched her performance and then my wife drove all the kids home and I ran home.  The total distance was about 3.7 miles and I ran 3.4 of those miles in just under 34 minutes.  I had to stop at a couple lights and wait for the light to turn in order to cross the street...I simply ran in place or in circles while I waited for the lights to change.  So, I bet I did that 3.4 miles in about 32:30 real time when you take away the waiting at lights which feels really good.  Like Dave, I can't believe that we have done it.  W9D3 on Saturday!  Can't wait!

Dave: CONGRATULATIONS AND GOOD WORK!  This forum has been a real boost in motivation for me.  Please let us know how your 5K goes and what your "official" time is.  Regarding my weight, I haven't weighed myself in a long time.  I will do that in the morning and keep you all posted.  I will say that my strength training has not been as consistent since starting the C25K.  I need to find a good balance...I can tell that my legs are stronger, my cardiovascular strength is MUCH better, but my core strength and strength in my upper body has dropped off a bit.  I just talked to a good friend of mine who is doing crossfit 3 days a week.  I might try that with running the other three and then having a rest day.

Kat2run: To answer your question about what I am going to do to keep going.  I think I am going to follow the ten percent rule that I have seen people write about on this forum.  I am going to up my time by ten percent each week until I am running 5 miles consistently.  Then when I reach the five mile mark I want to work on a faster pace.  My end goal is to be able to run 5 miles three to four days a week at about a 8:30 minute per mile pace.  I know that is going to take some time but it gives me something to work toward.

-Ryan

The Thin Blue Line!

Oct 17, 2011
    219. Dec 15, 2011 11:04 PM (in response to RTeps)

Ryan, you are blowing right by 5K!  I'm curious about the stop lights.  I'm an introvert by nature, and have NO desire to let anyone see me exercise, so for me, running along a busy street and across intersections (however small) has been a new experience.  I've had to do the jog in place thing a few times, and I feel like a different person.  Like "Hey, look at me, I'm actually exercising!".  lol  Having said that, my garage is slowly turning into a weight room so that no one - and I mean NO ONE - can see me struggling!  :-)  I just bought a used Olympic bar and weights as well as a squat rack to add to my other weights and bench, and again, I'm asking myself "Who are YOU??"  I'm sore every day, though, because between running 3 days a week and doing a 5x5 program with squats 3 days a week (and increasing in weight each time) I'm slowly falling apart.  I'm just hoping that I can finish that 12 week program too.  Time will tell...

As far as weight, I only brought it up after rereading your post.  It was more of a co-misery thing, as I've always been overweight.  I'm currently 190 ish (I'm not a big guy like you, I'm only about 5'8"), but was 230 last Christmas and 225 in March.  As of Fathers Day I was at 190 and have managed to stay around there since then.  After Christmas/New Years/Birthday I need to try to lose another 20 pounds.  I was hoping that by running the weight would just fall off of me.  Instead, between running and weight training I feel hungry all the stinking time!  I'm gonna have to figure that out........again........

How does the 10 percent plan work?  Is it time or distance-based?  That sounds like a good next step. 

Well, off to bed.  One more run, Ryan!  :-)

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 22, 2011
    220. Dec 16, 2011 3:35 AM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Ryan, that is awesome how far you ran!  And very creative getting your run in after ballet. Most men would want to go home to sleep..:)  That's a great goal to get up to 5 miles.  I won't be attempting that anytime soon. If only there were more hours in the day!  Or should I say more daylight in the day!

Dave, congrats in finishing W9D3!  What an accomplishment.  Can't wait to hear how your 5K goes tomorrow!  You will do great!

I'm doing my final W9D3 tomorrow.  I need a change of scenery for my run instead of my neighborhood.  Don't have time to change my scenery before work today.

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    221. Dec 17, 2011 11:22 AM (in response to kathruns)

Well, did the 5K today.  I was really nervous - not sure why - but I just felt a lot of anxiety.  When I got there, there were a LOT of people, easily in the hundreds, and I started to feel like a fish out of water.  I also felt shaky, probably because I didn't want to eat before running and of course feeling the anxiety.  I was dressed different than most people, too.  However, after putting on the theme t-shirt, hat, and gloves that they offer, I felt like part of the event more. 

When it was down to just a few minutes I started to get anxious again, and when it started I was like "Ok, here we go...".  Well, fortunately it all went well and it was actually enjoyable.  Time flew, too, probably because I was busy people-watching, train watching, boat watching (it was on the Tacoma waterfront) and just focusing on getting done.  There were a few hills - one at the beginning and one at the end (which kinda bit) but all in all I thought my running was fine and I never really noticed any knee pain.  I also would get motivated "passing" people because it made me feel like I was actually moving.  Usually I'm on a paved trail and pass at most 3-5 people (going the other direction) during a run.  Today it was just about gridlock.  In fact, my first mile was a very slow pace because of so many walkers, different paced runners, dogs (it was a humane society fundraiser), etc. 

Anyhow, I will know later what my "official" time was but on my RunKeeper app it said the following:

Distance:  3.15 miles

Time:  30:04

Ave Pace:  9.32 min/mile

Ave Speed:  6.29 mph

Cal Burned:  464

Total Climb:  700 ft (not sure how that is computed - probably all of the inclines put together)

My goal was under 30 minutes, so I'm sure that adjusted to 3.10 miles that I'd have been under 30 minutes.  I think it could have been somewhat better (perhaps 30 sec-1 min) had I held back until some of the crowd thinned out and then started.  Not because I was "fast", but because it was just so congested for the first mile or so. 

Anyhow - YAY!  I'm so thrilled to have stuck to it with you guys and also feel fortunate that the 5K race dovetailed with the end of the 9 week program.  Perfect timing.  :-) 

Thanks again for all of your support and encouragement!!

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

• migolf Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 16, 2011
    222. Dec 17, 2011 3:20 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Just completed W8D3 and it went very well. Earlier this week I struggled with W8D2, and I suspect it has something to do with bad news we received at the office. Even though I am a week behind all of you I am still hanging in there and my goal is to complet W9D3 by Dec. 24. What a great Chirstmas gift.

I am totally impressed by Dave's accomplishment: wow 5k in 30 minutes! This is simply really fast!

What are you planning to do after? I am curious becasue I want to pursue that quest for fitness and do not want to revert to the couch:))

Have agreat week-end everyone!

Michèle

La vie est belle!!!

Oct 13, 2011
    223. Dec 17, 2011 4:13 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Dave: Congratulations and good work!  It is amazing that you already did your first race.  I haven't even signed up for one yet.  Good to know about that congestion at the front of the race for the future!

Kat2run: Looks like you and I will finish on the same day! Good job!

Migolf: One more week!  That is cool that you will finish on Christmas Eve!

Okay, Dave, the ten percent thing as I understand it is that you add 10% to your time or distance each week.  They say that is the way to do it without overdoing yourself.  I would like to do the ten percent thing until I am running 5 miles about 3 days a week.  That being said, a friend from work (who is a runner) is bringing me Insanity next week.  He thinks I should start that.  I am debating about it because I would like to keep running.  I will figure it out I guess.

You asked about my weight loss.  I hit a plateau at first.  I had stopped the intensity of P90X and was not getting in a lot of mileage on the running the first few weeks of C25K.  Since we hit the 20 minute runs and longer I have lost 4 pounds (in about 4 weeks) so that feels really good.  I know that as you add muscle your weight can fluctuate, but I am happy with 4 pounds since this is new to me.  Thanks for asking.  I still have about 30 to go, but some of my friends think that would be too skinny.  My goal is not to be super skinny, just to be fit and healthy!

Anyway, are you all going to keep posting on this thread or move to a different thread?  Congratulations to all of us for finishing!  I really can't believe it!

-Ryan

The Thin Blue Line!

Oct 22, 2011
    224. Dec 18, 2011 9:15 AM (in response to fyrfyter535)

I've been having so much trouble trying to post. I was getting several different error messages and it wouldn't let me post....(now I'm editing this post because I was actually able to post now!)  I wonder if that is why so many have dropped off this thread. 

Congrats to you Dave on your first 5K!  That is awesome! I always wondered if having all of those people would slow you down in a race, but your time was great!

Ryan, congrats for finishing W9 and you have some great goals.  You mentioned about losing weight since the runs were 20 minutes and longer.  I did not need to lose any weight, but I did notice that I lost a few pounds as the runs got longer.  I cannot afford to lose anymore, so maybe I get to eat more now!

Migolf, you are doing great and you will make it soon to W9!

I finished W9D3 yesterday and am thrilled that I stuck with this program for 9 weeks. My goal was to be able to run 3 miles before I turn the big 5-0 (yikes!)...so I started this program right before my 49th birthday. I hope to continually improve my running even though I don't plan on adding mileage. I can say now that I am actually enjoying the running.  I didn't a few weeks back, but once I pushed through it became more enjoyable. I'm going to continue with my W9 podcast next week, but I would like to find some good running music.  If anyone has found a good site for this, please let me know!

Thanks everyone for your support through these 9 weeks!

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...