Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

42006 Views 260 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 11:19 AM by DaveInAuburn Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next
  • DaveInAuburn Expert 54 posts since
    Oct 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Dec 19, 2011 1:23 AM (in response to kathruns)
    Starting C25K on 10/17 anybody else?

Congratulations on finishing, Kat!  It's fun to be on this side of the goal thing, as I often have given up before reaching that point.  I think that's why I wanted to sign up for the 5K quickly - otherwise, I would have been able to stop.  :-)  Wish I was losing weight, though.  I need to lose a good 20 pounds but I've been eating like a horse - again. 

Got my "official" results for the 5K. 

Time:  30:08 (was hoping for something starting with a "29")

In my sex/age group I was 22 out of about 45-50 ppl. 

Interesting facts:  The person who finished 309 was a 25-29 year old male, so I kept up with a younger fellow.  :-)  BUT - the person who finished 311 was a woman in the 70-99 year age group.  So, I'm not exactly sure how to feel about that.  ha ha

I'm enjoying a few days off.  I haven't worked out since Wednesday due to a busy pre-Christmas schedule, and after the 5K Saturday I am taking a few days off of running as well.  I'm hoping that my body will stop being sore, but that may be wishful thinking of an almost-45 year old.  We'll see....

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

• kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    226. Dec 19, 2011 1:36 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Interesting stats there on the 5k!  People are in all different fitness levels at any age!  That was a wide age range for the woman - 77-99..wonder if she was closer to 77 or 99?!  Hope I can still run 5K at that age!

I just ran my 3 miles again today.  I found it easier than last week, so that is a good thing!

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

Oct 17, 2011
    227. Dec 20, 2011 2:45 AM (in response to kathruns)

That is a good thing for sure!  Progress is a great motivator.  :-)

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

• RTeps Expert 51 posts since
    Oct 13, 2011
    228. Dec 21, 2011 5:35 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Well, no run yet this week.  I came down with a nasty cold and with the cold weather I didn't want to risk making it worse.  I am feeling better tonight, so hopefully I will get my run in tomorrow and can at least get two runs in before week's end.  Hope you all are doing well!

-Ryan

Started C25K on 10/17/2011, Finished C25K on 12/17/2011!

Completed and continue to do P90X

Goal is to lose 30-40 pounds!

The Thin Blue Line!

Oct 22, 2011
    229. Dec 23, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Ryan, hope you are feeling better and got your run in.

I did 3 - 3 mile runs this week.  This morning it was so humid I wanted to quit at 2 miles, but I kept pushing to finish. I've been stopping right at 3 miles each run at 29 minutes. 

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a great weekend!

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

• superbuffbob Amateur 16 posts since
    Dec 21, 2011
    230. Dec 23, 2011 10:10 AM (in response to fyrfyter535)

I started this week and stumbled on your thread.

Was over 320lbs and have slowly lost the weight and am done to 190. Been doing some strength training this year and decided to treat myself to a treadmill for xmas. Have not run since I left school in thirty years ago but looking forward to completing the 9 week programme and running for a solid 30 mins at the end of feb..

Cheers

Almost 50 years young - was about 340lbs, now about 180 lbs and just started running for the first time in 28 years

Started the c25k dec 2011 and will move onto b210k once I have completed it

First 5k booked for 18th March 2012 - Malaga Spain

First 10k booked for May 27th 2012 - London UK

Super Buff Bob

Oct 17, 2011
    231. Dec 26, 2011 1:45 PM (in response to superbuffbob)

Ryan, I hope you are feeling better.  I've been lucky to have dodged the illnesses so far this year.  Knock on wood! 

Kat2Run, great job!  It's a busy time of year and those longer runs can kick your butt a little.  Keep it up.  :-) 

Bob, welcome to the thread!  Impressive weight loss!  I am around 190 from a high of 230, so you've really surpassed my achievement.  This program has been great for me as a non-runner, and with a treadmill you'll hopefully be able to fit the runs in regardless of weather.  Let us know how you are doing!!

Well, after my 5K on the 17th, I only ran once last week (Tuesday) for 2.15 miles.  Interestingly I thought I wouldn't even be able to finish that, which was disappointing.  I honestly think that completing the program and doing the 5K gave me a mental "pass" for doing less.....and after 1 mile I was ready to take the pass.  I stuck it out but boy were the mindgames at play. 

Today I made it out for my second run in a week and a 1/2 and was able to do 3.1 miles in just under 30 minutes, which I considered a victory given my poor discipline the past week.  Frankly, I wondered if I'd be able to do it following Christmas cheer (read lots of food, snacks, and a few cocktails).  Glad to be over that hump, so to speak.  It's pretty clear that unless I have a goal and expectations on myself that I'll simply not do it, so I will probably try to at least do a 5K distance 3 times per week until I decide what's next. 

Well, Merry Christmas+1 and enjoy your week all!

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 22, 2011
    232. Dec 27, 2011 3:21 PM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

Dave, I hear you on the mind games and not having the same motivation to run...I only ran 2 miles yesterday.  I was ok with that.  I'm still thinking I'll do 2 runs at 2 miles and then 1 run at 3 miles each week.  I don't know how that will affect me long term, but I don't have any plans on a 5K race in the near future.  I think we all need to find our balance and what our goals are.  I've been reading different running articles on increasing speed and I know I'm not ready for that yet.  But, I also think some kind of challenge is good.

Have a good week!

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    233. Dec 27, 2011 11:35 PM (in response to kathruns)

Kat2run, the speed thing is funny.  I think "Ok, now to improve my speed."  Except that I'm struggling as it is at the current speed!  lol  I need to get through the holiday's before I make any decisions, so for now, just running and doing perhaps what you are doing will be a good place to be.  :-)

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 22, 2011
    234. Dec 28, 2011 5:27 AM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

I decided to do my 3 mile run this morning because it was so cool out today.:)  I'm stopping at exactly 3 miles and I was happy that I did 3 miles in 28:42.  I don't think I can run any faster than this for now.  I would like to be able to do a 9 min. mile eventually, but that will take some time to get there!

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    235. Dec 28, 2011 9:11 PM (in response to kathruns)

Wow, that's a great time Kat!  Way to go!  I need to run in the morning and I can only hope to do so well.  :-)

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 17, 2011
    236. Jan 3, 2012 9:26 PM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

Well Kathy, you inspired me to really push myself the past few runs.  My next 3.00 mile run was 27:47, but then my next was 26:46!  I don't know where that came from, but I was thankful that 2011 was over!  Once again, the whole time I'm just telling myself to throw myself down on the ground, but so far I've not done it....so far.  :-)

Today was a real bummer.  I decided to run just one mile using my RunKeeper app on my phone, just to see what I was capable of for that distance now.  So I busted my butt for what seemed like an eternity!  My phone will announce certain points during the run, so at 1/2 mile it announced my time as exactly 4 minutes, which I was excited about.  At .60 mile it said my pace was 8:17, so I was excited to see how it ended at 1.00 miles.  However, after selecting "Save Activity" on my phone, I promptly dropped my phone on the ground (because I could barely stand lol) and the battery popped out.  After restarting my phone, the app won't work, and when I go to the website it posts to, it doesn't show me having run today.  I'm bummed, because I could have read the screen when I was done to see the stats, but was just too spent to even focus. 

I really don't want to have to do it again, but I guess I'll have to.  Oye.  :-)

-Dave

PS Ryan, where are yoU?  Hopefully feeling better. 

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 22, 2011
    237. Jan 4, 2012 3:48 AM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

Dave, Wow!  Great time on the 3 mile runs!  You really pushed yourself!  Very impressive!

Bummer on dropping your phone though!  Sounds like you were doing great!

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing...I ran 2 miles on Sunday and did really well with a time of 18:53 - a 9:27 pace.  That was good for me.  Then yesterday it got really cold here (relatively speaking) and ran 3 miles in the afternoon after work.  I decided to not push myself with the wind and cold and did the 3 miles in 30 min.  Nothing to write home about, but I wanted to try running at just a comfortable pace and it felt good and I never felt like quitting.

I don't have a phone with any apps...just a basic phone.  So I time myself the old fashioned way with a stopwatch on my watch.  I check my time at each half mile to see how I'm doing.  I am usually slower the first half mile and then I pick up, except yesterday I stayed even the entire 3 miles.

Ok, I think I will push myself a little more on the next run!

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    238. Jan 4, 2012 7:05 PM (in response to kathruns)

Well, Kathy, I think there's a lot to be said for running at a comfortable pace.  I am probably pushing myself too hard, particularly when I'm huffing and puffing like a ....well, like whatever huffs and puffs profusely.  :-)  I don't need to end up a statistic, that's for sure. 

I did go back out today to try the one-mile run with a new app on my phone.  It was raining on a running day for the first real time since I began C25K - and this is Seattle!  I tried to wait it out for about an hour sitting in my car, but I finally just went for it.  I will say, it felt miserable as I got wetter and wetter.  I also felt like I started out too strong, and soon faded.  In any event I pushed through the mile and did it in 8:27.  I really felt like I had pushed myself a little too hard, though, and when I got back in the car I actually just sat there with my eyes closed for a few minutes until I caught my breath good.  I'm thinking I'm probably needing to do like you and do a run at a more comfortable pace and then build from there. 

Anyhow, hope you have a great rest of the week! 

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 17, 2011
    239. Jan 5, 2012 2:56 PM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

Ok, a much more normal run today.  Had a decent headwind for the first half, which is unusual (it's been so calm around here) so that slowed my roll, so to speak.  Nonetheless, I set a goal of doing a good-paced (not breathless the whole time) 3 miles and not having a coronary.  In the end, I did it in 28:59 (no, I'm not going to round up ) and felt good overall.  That's probably a much healthier way for me to run, too. 

Have a great weekend!

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...