Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

39973 Views 260 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 11:19 AM by DaveInAuburn RSS Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next
  • kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Jan 5, 2012 5:44 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)
    Re: Starting C25K on 10/17 anybody else?

Dave, 28:59 is great!  I'm sure it felt better that those previous runs.  I was doing some reading and ...not in anyway an expert...but it seems that variety is good in training.  It's good to mix up those harder runs with the comfortable ones. It's like any training, your body gets used to running at a certain pace if that's all you do.  It needs a push to get stronger and faster.  I'm sure there are some specific methods of doing the training depending on what your goal is.  In a  few months you will be comfortable at a faster pace for your 3 miles. 

I was going to run after work today, but ended up working way later than anticipated.  I'm going to squeeze in a shorter 2 mile run before work tomorrow.  I'm not sure how much I'll push the run tomorrow though!

Have a good weekend!

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

Oct 22, 2011
    241. Jan 6, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to kathruns)
    Starting C25K on 10/17 anybody else?

So much for timing my run this morning.  Running in the dark, I thought I hit the stopwatch, but apparently did not when I checked at the end of my 2 miles.  Oh well...I felt like I had a good pace, but I'll never know!

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

• DaveInAuburn Expert 54 posts since
    Oct 17, 2011
    242. Jan 9, 2012 1:05 AM (in response to kathruns)

I hate when that happens.  :-) 

I haven't ran since Thursday, so I'm feeling like a "couch potato" again!  I am coming down with a cold (can feel it in my throat and glands), so tomorrow I might just work out in the garage and then do a run on Tuesday.  We'll see what happens. 

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 22, 2011
    243. Jan 9, 2012 6:57 PM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

Well, I was going to increase my run and run about 3.2 miles yesterday.  I went online and mapped it all out and figured I knew where to turn around since I looked at the map on "sattelite"view.  It was a very pleasant run and I enjoyed the scenery and was thinking I am making great time and I feel great... and then I end at 29:24 and think hmmm...there is no way I ran 3.2 miles that fast and didn't even huff and puff! I had to go do a drive by and then recheck my map at home. I think it was only 2.9 miles, which means I ran pretty slow, but hey...I enjoyed the run!

I'm going to try the "real" run another time soon because it was a nice area to run. 

Hope you feel better for another run soon, Dave.

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    244. Jan 10, 2012 9:47 PM (in response to kathruns)

Thanks Kathy.  Still have a cold, but it's pretty darn minor.  Today was my birthday, but since I hadn't ran since last Thursday I decided to suck it up and go out and do my 3 miles.  It was a good run, with a slight headwind on the second half, and I did it in 28:30.  My body definitely prefers the 9:00-9:30/mile pace (if not a little slower).  Well, we wouldn't want our bodies to be upset, would we?  :-) 

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 22, 2011
    245. Jan 11, 2012 5:23 AM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

Hope you had a great birthday Dave!

Are you listening to music when you run? I'm just not happy with my pace lately and wonder if my music beat is too slow.  I ran only 2 miles yesterday in 19:35.  I feel as if I'm getting slower instead of faster.

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    246. Jan 18, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to kathruns)

Hi Kathy :-)

Been a little under the weather, and now we are experiencing weather (snow in Seattle) so I haven't ran since the 13th.  Looking forward to getting out there again in a day or two.

You know, I've never listened to anything when I run.  Odd, I know.  I work out in my garage three days a week as well, and it's pretty much dead silent.  I seem to do a lot of thinking.  I have some bible verses I've been wanting to memorize so I'm thinking of putting them on index cards and studying them between sets of weights, but for running I seem to just listen to the cars and trucks going by. 

Not sure if I'll add music to my runs yet. I have an iPod but had a hard time getting the earbud to stay in my ear.  Maybe if I get a better one (or maybe a 70's style "headphones" set) I'll give it a whirl. 

As for times, my last time I ran was about 27:30-ish for 3 miles, which I thought was pretty good since I was battling a cold.  However, I seem to struggle as well at times, and I haven't really made good progress like I thought would happen.  When Ryan was on here, we talked a few times about "what's next" after C25K.  I'm wondering if I should just start adding 10% per week and see what happens? 

One question:  Did you plan to run 2 miles yesterday?  The reason I ask is because the times that I've "let" myself run a shorter distance, I sort of mentally burn out faster.  I wonder if you have the same experience? 

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

• RTeps Expert 51 posts since
    Oct 13, 2011
    247. Jan 18, 2012 2:15 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Hey everyone,

I am here!  Haven't been running, but I have been doing Insanity.  My goal was to run while doing Insanity, but I realized after I started that would not be possible.  My friend that is letting me borrow Insanity was a runner (7 - 10 miles, 3 - 4 days a week).  He started it and realized it was such a cardio workout that he stopped running while doing it and will pick up running again when he is done.  It is the same for me.  The cardio workout through Insanity is really good and really hard.  It is six days a week, so mixing in a run is not feasible at this point.  Don't worry, I didn't give up, just trying something different.  I am in week 3 and it is 8 weeks long.  I will keep you posted as to how it goes.  After I am done I will more than likely continue to mix in runs with some sort of strength training.

It sounds like you (Dave and Kathy) have kept it up and that is great.  I am obviously exercising consistently and that is what matters.  I will check in from time to time.

Dave: How is the snow up in Seattle...I bet it is making everything treacherous!

Anyway, I'll be in touch.

-Ryan

Started C25K on 10/17/2011, Finished C25K on 12/17/2011!

Completed and continue to do P90X

Goal is to lose 30-40 pounds!

The Thin Blue Line!

Oct 22, 2011
    248. Jan 18, 2012 4:31 PM (in response to fyrfyter535)

Ryan!  Good to hear you are still around and well!  I have not heard of Insanity, but it sure sounds as if it is and intense workout! I couldn't imagine adding running to a workout like that. 

Dave:  I was wondering how you were faring in the snow there!  Looks pretty crazy on the news. Your time on your last run was great though!  I still feel like I'm getting slower.  To answer your question about the 2 mile run...yes, it was planned.  Some days I just plan a 2 mile run.  If I plan a 3 mile run, I will do 3 miles and not quit. I may feel like it, but I don't.  I have definitely found out that I do not have the stamina to run more than 2 miles after working all day. I ran 3 miles after work on Friday (and struggled with it)  I ran 2 miles yesterday at about 5:45 pm and was not feeling my best.  I need a morning run here to test this theory.  Maybe it's just hard to get moving after sitting at a computer all day. Oh and I ran with no music yesterday too.  It didn't seem to make me run any faster or slower. If you need earbuds that stay on, there are ear buds that have a behind the ear hook.  I found cheap ones at Walmart for about $10.  My daugher gave me really good ear buds for Christmas (with no behind the ear hooks).  They stay in really well, but I feel like I'm under water or something because all I hear is my breathing (and the music).  I prefer a little outside noise.  I need some new music though. I just pulled some CD's...Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns and Chris Tomlin and made a little mix, but I've been using the same mix for a few weeks now.  Variation would be good!

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    249. Jan 18, 2012 7:59 PM (in response to kathruns)

Hey Ryan, great to see you here again!  But Insanity?  I don't know what that is, but it sounds....well, insane!  I'll have to look it up as I need to lose some pounds and I'm not sure if running alone will do that for me.  I'm impressed, though. 

It was pretty white here in the Seattle area today.  I live about midway between Seattle and Tacoma and had about 4"-5" of snow.  Other areas to the south had 8"-18" so we were spared their totals.  I manage a nearby quick service restaurant, and when we decided to open in the afternoon I had to go in and shovel snow - does that count as my running for the day?  :-)  Anyhow, it's now just all turning to ice overnight, then probably rain tomorrow.  The kids are loving it of course, as the slightest hint of snow shuts schools down right away. 

Anyhow, great to chat with you both.  I'm glad to see that we each are plugging along with our fitness goals.  Ryan, I'm going to look up Insanity.  No promises, though, on actually doing it! 

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 22, 2011
    250. Jan 20, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

I ran 3 miles this morning.  I have to get back to 3 miles again.  I did feel the morning was easier, but today was my slowest pace yet.  My 3 miles time was 31:52.  It was definitely an easy run at conversation pace.  I didn't listen to music either.  When it's dark in the morning, I can't see on my stopwatch to see how I'm doing with my pace. I normally check each half mile (that is one loop around my neighborhood).

At the end of the C25K program, my 3 mile time was 29 minutes.  Maybe listening to the podcast helped me with my pace.

Dave, since you have improved your pace, how are you keeping track of your pace?  Are you trying to run an even pace, or do you pick it up at certain points in your run?

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    251. Jan 21, 2012 11:58 AM (in response to kathruns)

Kathy, I use an app on my phone that displays a constant readout of my pace, as well as announces periodic updates of pace, speed, time, and distance.  Now, originally I had been using RunKeeper, and that one was great for glancing at the screen to see while running.  Now that that app isn't working on my phone, I've been using Endo-something and it's a little harder for me to see while running.  It also makes less frequent announcements.  Regardless, I basically get an update every mile currently telling me what I'm running, or I can look at the phone and see my current pace. I liked the more frequent call-outs of the RunKeeper app because I feel like if I'm trying to look at the screen too much I start to get distracted. 

Well, I haven't ran for days because of the weather here in Seattle.  We had snow Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (especially), but then we got freezing rain for much of Wednesday and that created a whole new set of problems.  We lost power for most of the day on Thursday and then for a few short spurts since then, but many, many people have been without power for 2-4 days.  For running, the sidewalks (and in some cases, roads) have been impassable due to snow, ice, trees, and power lines.  Quite a little mess.  The gutter on the back of our house is hanging down onto our deck from ice build-up, and a lot of branches are broken off of our trees.  Just cosmetic stuff, but irritating.  :-) 

It's all been a blur, though, because the quick service resaurant I manage has been in an area with power surrounded by large areas without power.  For the past few days I've been working pretty much open to close, with lines of people and no shortage of things to keep me busy.  Today I am hoping to stay home and will work out in the garage now that it's out of the 20's/30's, but probably won't have a chance to run until early next week. 

Well, here's hoping for better weather, and I hope you have a great weekend!

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 22, 2011
    252. Jan 22, 2012 7:33 PM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

Dave, thanks for the info on the apps.  I don't have a phone for apps, but it would be nice to get those kind of updates when I'm running. I'm going to have to figure out something better than what I'm doing, but I don't know what without spending too much.

It's been so mild here (upper 70's) that I can't imagine the snow and all that goes with it.  Hope things clear up soon and you can get back to running!

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 22, 2011
    253. Jan 23, 2012 6:26 AM (in response to kathruns)

Well, I'm making some progress in the right direction.  I ran my 3 miles today in 29:55.  I felt I could have pushed a little more, but I'm strictly going by how I'm breathing and how I feel since I can't see how my time is going when it's still relatively dark out.

Who needs hi-tech?! ;=)

- Kathy

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Oct 17, 2011
    254. Jan 26, 2012 2:50 PM (in response to kathruns)

Sometimes the "tech" is more trouble than it's worth.  :-)  Also, if we are listening to our bodies, we likely know how we are doing - though if I listened to my body, I'd likely not be running at all!  ha ha

Well, I went out today for the first time in two weeks or so.  The weather and my schedule have been lousy lately, but today dawned relatively dry so out I went.  After two weeks, my body quickly started telling me that 2 miles instead of 3 would be good enough!  However, I was very surprised that my times were good.  My first mile (blustery headwind) was 8:25 and my second mile was 8:07 - a miracle for me!  Actually, I think my body was telling me 2 miles was good enough because I was running at a faster pace and into the wind. 

Since the run this morning my knee has been sore, so obviously it will need to get back up to speed with the running thing.  I think my next run will be Saturday or Sunday, so maybe I can get back up to the 3 mile mark?  We'll see....

Have a great weekend!

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...