Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

38288 Views 260 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 11:19 AM by DaveInAuburn RSS Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next
  • kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    255. Jan 29, 2012 7:28 PM (in response to DaveInAuburn)
    Starting C25K on 10/17 anybody else?

Dave, very impressive pace...especially after not running in awhile.  Hope you didn't hurt your knee too badly and were able to get back out for a run again.

I'm pushing more and passed the 3 miles at 28:58 yesterday and continued on to 3.25 miles finishing at 31:03.  I was able to run in the daylight since it was Saturday and kept a watch on my time.  That did help to know how I was doing! I'm going to try to increase my 3rd run each week a little at a time.

Back out tomorrow morning in the dark though!

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

• DaveInAuburn Expert 54 posts since
    Oct 17, 2011
    256. Feb 4, 2012 10:14 PM (in response to kathruns)

Well, I've still been challenged with schedule in getting out and running the past week.  My main issue has been that instead of having my morning's free I've been working more daytime shifts at work.  I have never ran at night (and really don't want to) so I need to figure out a better discipline for making it happen.  When faced with doing a run or doing a workout in the garage, I've been doing the workout because I'm in week 11 of a 12 week plan I started while running.  However, I am getting close to switching to more of a weight-loss and muscle build phase (however that works???) and running will be an important element. 

Life's been busy, but once things settle down it should be easier to get out.  I did run once since my last post.  Going back to the "tech" issues, my phone app showed I was running an upper 7:XX pace early on, so I figured I'd just do my best one mile run and see where I ended up.  Somehow, kicking butt (or so I thought) I ended up being in the 8:30 or so range, well off my previous run.  It made me lose confidence in my current phone app because it seems to have me all over the board.  Not sure what to do about that, but it doesn't motivate me like I need to be. 

Well, kathy, good for you for carrying the torch!  I will get back out there soon, hopefully by Tuesday unless I can get myself up early before church tomorrow.  It was close to 60 here in Seattle today, but I was completely booked so never got the time to enjoy it.  Maybe manana! 

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    257. Feb 8, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to KimmeeA13)

Kimmee,

Great for you and good luck!!

Something to consider:     A small water bottle in a hand-held strap (about $10 in our local running store), or the sport belts with the bottle holders.    Or, if you're running in your neighborhood, can you keep a water bottle on someone's lawn or in your car by the road so you can just grab a sip or two? Or, run laps around your block so you can stop in your driveway for sips from your water bottle. Or, try chewing gum or use a mint or some hard candy to keep your mouth moist.

Whatever you do, if you keep up with the training, you will notice you can go further and longer without water. It does get better and you don't feel so thirsty as your endurance builds up and your body becomes used to the rigors.

One other thing, just don't drink so much before or as you run that you're bogging yourself down during your run. There are many articles on how to hydrate and re-hydrate during running. Google some and get what you want out of them. Some say one thing and some say another, but at least you can see them and make up your own mind which ones work for you and which ones don't.

• satcoucou Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 8, 2012
    258. Feb 8, 2012 12:07 PM (in response to KimmeeA13)

That and of course a ridiculously busy schedule with kids and jobs;

http://plombier-express.fr/

Oct 17, 2011
    259. Feb 8, 2012 10:42 PM (in response to satcoucou)

Made it out on Sunday and did my 3 miles.  Thought I was going to die (when will that feeling end???)  Time was 27:27, which wasn't bad so I guess there was a silver lining.  Really need to get myself out there more.  :-)

-Dave

-DaveInAuburn

Oct 17, 2011
    260. Mar 8, 2012 11:19 AM (in response to DaveInAuburn)

Well, a month later I figured I'd check in.  With the C25K challenge over for those in this thread, it might be that we are all moving on to our next thing, whether that be to just get in the groove for 3 miles, improve our distance, or try something new.  Whatever we all are doing, I hope it is beneficial and that it motivates each of us to continue to improve in our physical health and wellness.  :-)

For me, I've really struggled getting out more than once a week, but my wife and I just booked a 20th anniversary cruise for the end of April so that is a motivator.  Also, my wife, who has been an avid walker for years, recently started jogging/running during her walks.  While not fast, per se, she did ask me if I would like to do a 5K with her, so that's definitely an encouragement for me to get back out there. 

Armed with those two motivators, I've started a new 8 week period of focus on my running and weight training.  I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm hoping to lose 10-12 pounds and to get my running up to as much as 150 minutes or 15 miles per week (whichever comes first!!).  This week, I actually have ran four times since Sunday, including the last three days straight.  My times have slowed since completing the C25K and slacking off so I am suffering for transgressions, but the last three days I've ran a combined 8.75 miles with an average pace of about 9:15 per mile.  Frankly, that's good for me and I figure I've got 6 1/2 more weeks to improve. 

I'm not sure who is still tracking this thread, but a big THANK YOU goes out to everyone who stuck it out for the 12 weeks and encouraged each other along the way.  I'm personally in shock that I was able to do my 5K at the end of the program, and am equally in shock that I'm still running today.  I have so much appreciation for the people in this forum who took their time to come in and post their experiences, challenges, successes and failures.  It really kept it real and helped encourage me along the way. 

I'll try to post my progress occasionally through the next 8 weeks, if for no other reason than to provide myself with some more motivation and accountability.  It'd be nice at the end of the period to be running 5 days a week and to not be miserable the whole time - I'll settle for one or the other!  :-) 

Have a great week!

-DaveInAuburn

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...