Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2350 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2011 6:49 PM by Ogr44 RSS
Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
May 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2011 2:15 PM

Destination Runs:  Suggestions, experiences, recommendations

Greetings all:

As a confirmed middle to back of the pack runner, I have started to branch out from my local area and have started to look for "destination" races that are slow runner friendly.  As an example, I put forth two examples;  first  Virginia Beach Rock&Roll 1/2 marathon.  My wife and I made this a extra long weekend, stayed beachfront, and explored the local area including hiking in the first landing state park.  Second example:  My Son and I ran Coconut run 8K in Honolulu back in July 2010.  We had planned the vacation before finding the race but had a great time none the less. 

I am interested in what others define as destination race - one persons destination is anothers hometown. 

Suggestions, recommendations, and reminisces welcome!!!

Norway26.JPG

On the trail outside Bergen, Norway!

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010

I hear the Disney races are fun!  http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/sports/rundisney/

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Disney, Big Sur, Antarctica, the Great Wall, 500 Festival Races, Bryce Canyon, Niagara Falls, Pikes Peak (serious uphill), Grand Canyon, Alaska (mayorsmarathon.com). Most are known for their marathon but all have shorter races, either accompanying or at other times of year.  Also check marathontour.com for other ideas.

Len

Len

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

Also check out   http://www.kathyloperevents.com/   Here is their international run schedule for the next year:

Victoria Falls Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K - South Africa, Aug 2011

Angkor Wat Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K - Cambodia, Nov/Dec 2011

Kilimanjaro Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K - Mt. Kilimanjaro, Feb/Mar 2012

Great Wall Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K - China, May 2012

Solar Eclipse Marathon, Australia, Nov 2012

I haven't done the international races, but they also have destination races closer to home. They sponsor a number of San Diego area races = great place to visit any time of year! For me, it's a weekend trip from Los Angeles. I've done the Coronado Independence Day races (both the 5K and 15K) and the Bolt to the Q 5K. Extremely well organized and lots of fun.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011

Ogr44 I'm midpack runner also and the Virginia beach half was my first hm. Loved it too. Did the inaugual Maui Half in 2004. It was my 20th anniversary gift from my wife. It's my favorite of the islands. Highly recommend this one. Well run and great scenery as you run along the coast most of the way. Also did the Niagara Ultra. I ran the marathon but they also have a 10k, a half, and a 50k same day. I really enjoyed this one with the falls and all there is to do and see there. It was on the canadian side. I also hear the Disney one is great too. This one is on my bucket list. You mentioned you hiked at Virginia beach. If you like a good challenge and a great time you may want to give the Magatransect in Lock Haven Pa. a try.It's 25.5 ran through Bald Eagle Mountain State Forest. It's a small town so don't look for alot to do other than the forest but if you like this sort of thing you wont have to. Awesome race with unbelievable scenery. The people are the greatest anywhere and the post party is amazing too. Registration for this is January 1 and this year filled up in 48 hr. Over 900 people can't be wrong. Hope this is a help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...