Skip navigation

337 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 12:34 PM by ValerieAlbanese RSS
ValerieAlbanese Amateur 24 posts since
Jul 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 18, 2011 12:34 PM

Setbacks and Victories

Ok people, sorry to sound like a broken record, but I cannot believe the NYC marathon is now less than three weeks away. What?! It's insane to me. What an incredible journey training has been for me overall, even with my setbacks.

I'd mentioned in my last post that I had to miss a couple of long training runs due to various circumstances and I've had to fight the mental battle of 'you'll never be ready for this'. I will say I was proud to have completed the marathon tune-up 18 miler and was feeling pretty ready for my big 20 miler the following weekend. I was running the Grete's Gallop half marathon and turning it into 20 miles but, sadly, I pulled a groin muscle at mile 10. I went on to complete the half marathon but I was truly in pain at that point so I decided to take care of myself and stop. It made for a very frustrating and long walk home due to, once again, beating myself up mentally. I was just feeling like nothing at all has gone my way with this marathon training and it's really tough to find the positive side of that when you're feeling that let down.

I went to PT and saw the sports doc who determined loosely that yes, I had pulled a groin muscle. Sadly, the only thing you can really do is rest so I took myself out of the running game for two weeks, iced my leg, took anti-inflammatory medicine and simply did what I could to heal up. You can imagine how nervous I felt this past Saturday when I set out for what would be my last attempt at a 20 miler before marathon day. I made a commitment to myself that I'd operate out of patience and focus so, when I hit the road, I am extremely pleased to report that I did awesome. Giving my body the chance to rest is the best choice I could've made because everything felt terrific - legs, groin, breathing - I really found my focus. I realized that all the time I've spent beating myself up has taken away from just how tremendous this training can be. Truly taking things 'one step at a time' is all you can do and it's amazing what victories can result when you just let go and see what happens. I'm far more encouraged for marathon day now and it's a really great feeling.

Being a part of the New Balance digital team has totally helped me up my game too and I'm grateful I was picked as a representative. I'm even more grateful that my shoes have been the one part of training as a whole that has not been a setback but rather a bright spot, no joke. I know that everything happens for a reason and I'm humbled by both the setbacks and victories I've had throughout training. I feel like a better woman for it all.

Hoping anyone else who's running NYC this year is doing fantastic and feeling prepared. Less than three weeks to go...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...