Skip navigation

1498 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2011 1:58 PM by JoeLoureiro RSS
JoeLoureiro Expert 44 posts since
Apr 21, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2011 1:33 PM

Long Slow Run

Got up early this morning, with a little less enthusiasm to get this 23 miler started. It took me a bit longer to motivate myself out the door! Maybe it was because it was going to be a long 23 miles, or perhaps, because I was going to be doing it solo! I finally gathered my water and snacks and made it out. I started the run slow, still trying to wake up. I did get plenty of sleep, but was still a little tired from yesterday's workout. That included a 3 mile bicycle ride to boot camp class, half hour session of boot camp, and 7 miles back home. I also went for a 4.5 mile trail run at lunch time. So not that much rest there, with 77 miles over the last 7 days, and 200 for the month so far! Looking forward to the next two weeks of taper.

I did finish the run in a little over 3 hrs with an 8:06 overall pace. The hardest part was getting started. I also experimented a little with the food consumption by trying a different energy bar than I normally use in past long runs. I felt the energy drain at about mile 19. For NYC, I plan to stick with what worked for me in the past, which are the Power Bar gels. The NB 890's now have 204 miles on them, and are still very comfortable.

How is your training going? Have you started your taper? What's your motivation for getting out to do your run?

Stay healthy & fit.

See you in NY - Joe

• raubalazs Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Oct 22, 2011 6:51 PM (in response to JoeLoureiro)
    Long Slow Run

What is your target marathon pace ? I read that you're supposed to do long runs 30 to 90 seconds slower than marathon pace, but I find that excruciatingly slow, especially for shorter runs that last 60-75 mins. I could probably do a 24-minute 5k, which is a 9:30 long run pace even if I take the fast end of the range from McMillanrunning.

Dec 14, 2007
    3. Oct 25, 2011 8:56 AM (in response to JoeLoureiro)
    Long Slow Run

For a noob like me it's hard to imagine that you can run a 1:45 half marry off of 9:30 m/min long runs, but you have way more experience. Is that 3-2-1 ratio in terms of distance, time or number of workouts ?

• Coach Ken Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 1, 2008
    4. Oct 25, 2011 9:56 PM (in response to raubalazs)
    Re: Long Slow Run

An effective training plan focuses on both skill and energy.  Skill comes from proper form and efficiency training. Energy development comes from balancing out speed,strength, stamina, and threshold workouts.

Here are some good stamina, threshold, strength, and speedworkouts.   Readers who do not know theirspecific training paces, this tool will help you.

Personalized Workout Calculator >>>>   http://www.freerunningcalculator.com

Courtesy of Coach Ken at 5 SpeedRunning

Have Fun and Get It Done!

Online Running Coach

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Oct 26, 2011 9:34 PM (in response to JoeLoureiro)
    Long Slow Run

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. Which of the days are high intensity for you ? I assume that high intensity means that you get really tired, right ?

2. What kind of training do you suggest for somebody who only runs twice a week. I was thinking to do one long run and one either Yasso 800 or fartlek. My goal is to be in decent running shape in the spring to specifically train for anywhere from a 5k to half marathon. I hike a lot so I have a recent base of fittness.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...