Skip navigation

676 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2011 10:04 AM by JNugBballer14
WarriorsforLife Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 23, 2011 3:15 AM

Help

I am 13 yrs old. chubby, and about 5'6.

What can i do to lose the fat and gain muscle  for next year for when im a freshmen?

(with dumbells)

• BeatTheBest Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    1. Oct 23, 2011 6:35 PM (in response to WarriorsforLife)
    Help

I'm gonna be a freshman next year too so ik how you feel. Here are the things I'd reccomend you to do.

1) Run 4-5 times a week for about 30 minutes each. (Should be the same pace for the entire run so you can lose some fat if you have any)

2) If you only have dumbells. (SAME HERE) You have more than enough to gain muscle. http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/index.html This website has MANY great exercises with dumbbells.

I reccomend working with dumbbells at least 4 times a week with 2 different muscle groups each time. Every day I do about 70-80% of my maximum lift weight. 3 sets of 7 reps each. I go through the whole workout with 7 reps, then rest for about 1 minute then go through it again, rest...etc...

Here's a sample of my workout.

Monday- Exercises for the Chest, (Bench Press on my Bed+Fly), For shoulders (Shoulder Press+Lateral raises), Biceps (Curls), and Abdominals (I just do 60 crunches and lying down and lifting both of your legs 6 in of the ground for about a minute.)

Wednesday-Triceps, and Legs

Friday- Same as Monday

Saturday- Same as Wednesday

PS: I dont do exercises for the back because it's very easy to hurt your back. If you want to it's your choice, but it's not that important.

3) Practicing basketball. I didn't say playing basketball, I said practicing. Practicing dribbling and shooting by yourself are usually more useful than playing in a game for the whole day.

PSS: Message me if you want to know more

• JNugBballer14 Pro 101 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    2. Oct 24, 2011 10:04 AM (in response to WarriorsforLife)
    Help

The only way to lose fat and gain muscle is to work hard. Here are my suggestions for you:

1.) RUN! RUN!! RUN!!!!!

- Running is one of the best excercises for you to get in shape.

- Builds stamina

- Good for leg strength

- Contributes to your overall health

- Improves breathing

- Makes you quicker, lighter on your feet, and more agile.

- Try running 2 miles a day - yes, i know this may seem like it's a lot, but it will definitely help and I PROMISE it will get easier the more you do it!!!!

- Also try some 40-50 yard dashes (sprints), and do a few of those a day/week as well.

2.) Dumbell Training

- Arm curls

- Pectoral Flies

- Tricep Lifts

- Deltoid Lifts

- For demonstrations of these exercises, search Google/YouTube, very easy to find

3.) Practice makes perfect

- Along with doing fitness training, practice basketball 2-3 times a week

- Dribble drills

- Shoot around and do some shooting drills

- Practice driving to the basket

- Passing

4.) EAT RIGHT!!!!!

- What you eat has a HUGE effect on your body, how you breath, and your stamina while playing sports.

- The saying "You are what you eat" is so true

- If you eat right (ex. fruits, vegetables, organic foods, natural foods, NO FAST FOOD, little bread, fiber, NO SUGARY DRINKS JUST WATER/SELTZER, etc.) you will feel much better, be able to play sports better, AND you will be able to shed the fat off of your body A LOT easier.

If you can remember to do these things, you will be in great shape by the time you are a freshman. It takes self discipline and is not easy, but if you really follow these guidelines and put the work in, it will pay off, i promise. Stay focused on your goal and just do it! Hope this helps, and good luck!

"Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better, and your better is best." ~Tim Duncan

* "Dare to be great." *

"Hard work, a positive attitude, confidence, and a smile are the keys to success."

Basketball is life....#14

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points