Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

681 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2011 7:38 PM by skypilot77
speedingturtle Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 27, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 23, 2011 6:07 PM

I'm new to running. . .

Hello everyone,

I am starting to get active again after a year of being a couch potato. I don't have any flat trails near my home to train on. This leaves me to either asphalt or concrete. I've noticed after my runs that my knees start to hurt. What can I do to stop and prevent the pain?

P.S. I don' want to drive my car to the local high school because I am trying to save on gas.

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    1. Oct 23, 2011 6:34 PM (in response to speedingturtle)
    I'm new to running. . .

It may just be mental, but I find that, given the choice between asphalt or concrete, the asphalt is easier on legs over the course of a run. I do mostly road running, but can mix in the occasional trail run or dirt road.

The knee pain could be due to a lot of things. Running on hard surfaces can be one of many things which can contribute to it. I have very recently started to put ice packs on my legs (mostly knees) after running and it seems to be helping. As people and situations are different, you may want to provide more information about your running habits and post in the med tent forum.

Best of luck!

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    2. Oct 23, 2011 7:38 PM (in response to speedingturtle)
    I'm new to running. . .

There is a reason buildings are built out of concrete and not asphalt -- density.

In regard to your knees -- if I can assume something from your post -- if you are just starting out running and your knees are already hurting I would not think the surface is the reason for the hurt.

I would check your running shoes first. You may have a pair of shoes which stabilize the feet and not need that type of shoe -- or just the opposite could be true.

Knee problems/hurt usually begin with the feet.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...