Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2564 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2011 5:07 PM by lenzlaw
GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
Sep 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 24, 2011 7:02 PM

Water

At what distance do you start carrying water on your runs and how do you carry it?  How much do you carry?

So far I've only done 3-4 mile runs in cool weather, so it hasn't been an issue, but as I increase my distance, I know I'll need a way to hydrate.

• Colddistance Amateur 4 posts since
    Apr 7, 2011
    1. Oct 25, 2011 4:42 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)
    Water

GinnyinPA,

I have been running about the same distance and the cool weather has kept my hydration requirements down. It is almost more important to hydrate before your run then during but as your milage increases you will need some system to keep from getting dehydrated. I wasn't sure what the requirements were so I looked it up. The following is an excerpt from ask.com. "

The current advice about running and hydration is very simple -- try to drink to thirst. Scientific evidence says that drinking when you're thirsty can help prevent underhydrating (which can lead to dehydration) and overhydrating, which can lead to hyponatremia (low blood salt level due to abnormal fluid retention).

If you're looking for a general rule of thumb for fluid consumption during your runs: You should take in 4 to 6 ounces of fluid every 20 minutes during your runs. Runners running faster than 8-minute miles should drink 6 to 8 ounces every 20 minutes. During longer workouts (90 minutes or more), some of your fluid intake should include a sports drink (like Gatorade) to replace lost sodium and other minerals (electrolytes). The carbohydrates and electrolytes in the sports drink also help you absorb the fluids faster.

If you don't have access to water on your running routes, you'll have to carry your own fluids with you. Here are some fluid carriers that you can use to hold your fluids while you run. However, if you're running in a race, you shouldn't have to carry your own fluids because they should have water stops on the course."

Hope this helps, keep pushing.

Coldistance.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Oct 25, 2011 6:55 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)
    Re: Water

Generally speaking, most of us start carrying fluids when the run is an hour or more.  More to the point is to stay hydrated 24x7, which makes it easier to hydrate on your runs - that is, you don't start your run already in a dehydrated state.  The most frequently and easily used measure of this is the color of your urine - it should be pale yellow or straw colored.  Do your best to keep it that way all day, every day.

The information above quoted from ask.com needs some context. 

The current advice about running and hydration is very simple -- try to drink to thirst. Scientific evidence says that drinking when you're thirsty can help prevent underhydrating (which can lead to dehydration) and overhydrating, which can lead to hyponatremia (low blood salt level due to abnormal fluid retention).

This first part is intended for long races/long runs, at least 10 miles, more often half-marathon and above.  Plus "drink to thirst" is nice to say but can be hard to figure out.  Unfortunately, experience is the best teacher.  Experiment as your runs get longer.

If you're looking for a general rule of thumb for fluid consumption during your runs: You should take in 4 to 6 ounces of fluid every 20 minutes during your runs. Runners running faster than 8-minute miles should drink 6 to 8 ounces every 20 minutes. During longer workouts (90 minutes or more), some of your fluid intake should include a sports drink (like Gatorade) to replace lost sodium and other minerals (electrolytes). The carbohydrates and electrolytes in the sports drink also help you absorb the fluids faster.

If you don't have access to water on your running routes, you'll have to carry your own fluids with you. Here are some fluid carriers that you can use to hold your fluids while you run. However, if you're running in a race, you shouldn't have to carry your own fluids because they should have water stops on the course."

This is good general advice for longer runs (i.e. when you start carrying fluids on your runs) and races.  Of course, there will be differences from one person to the next, but it's a good place to start. 

You won't need this for a while, but there are ways to get a more accurate measure of your fluid needs on long runs.  Basically take the difference in your weight (naked) before and after the run and add in the weight of the fluids you drank during the run (1 ounce of fluid equals 1 ounce of weight).  This gives you your fluid needs over the time the run took.  So if you lost 2 pounds (32 ounces) and drank 20 ounces during the run, your fluid needs are 52 ounces (32 plus 20) for that length of run.  And, of course, this will vary somewhat due to weather conditions.

Len

Len

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    3. Oct 25, 2011 7:24 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

I carry a palm-held water bottle (Fuel Belt Sahara model) for runs of 5+ miles.  I sweat pretty heavily, and like Len suggested I've done the fluid needs test.  My weight loss during the run is normally a lot higher than what my thirst indicates, though, so I generally hydrate based on thirst.  For me, this comes out to 2-3 ounces per mile.  My water bottle holds 24 ounces, so this will last me somewhere around 8-12 miles depending on effort level.  For longer marathon-training runs, I will navigate myself to a park where I can fill up my water bottle so I can keep going.  I drop a Nuun tablet in the water to help with the electrolyte loss, too.  This may be of concern to you as your runs extend beyond the 8 mile mark.

For races of any distance above 5K, I'll always have my water bottle on me.   Because of adrenaline and other pre-race anxiety, my mouth tends to get dry, even if I am well hydrated.  Having the water bottle handy at all times helps keep me comfortable, plus I can roll right through the water stops, which I have a tendency to stroll through anyway.  This way I can sustain a nice even pace throughout the run.

I hope this is helpful to you.  Best of luck as your distance increases!

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    4. Oct 25, 2011 8:46 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)
    Water

I carry water for runs of about an hour or more. For me, this is runs that are 5 miles or longer.

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Oct 25, 2011 9:51 AM (in response to Leadville Fan)
    Water

Lots of good advice above I would just add, don't be fooled by cool low humidity you still need to hydrate!

• Runnergirl0707 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 16, 2009
    6. Oct 25, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)
    Water

I am also in the 5+ mile group.  But I hate to carry my own water.  So I figured out a few things that worked for me.  I looked for parks that had drinking fountains along my route that I could stop at to get a drink.  There is one exactly 2 miles from my house.  During a long run I will run directly to this park, get a drink then run one mile in one direction and then head back, stopping for another drink.  I do this, going one mile in a different direction so I don't get bored, for the entire long run.  Once I added sports drinks into the mix I would just carry a bottle for two miles to the park, then hide it at the park once I stopped for my first water break.  Then I had the option to alternate water/sports drinks the whole time.  Works well for me.

Upcoming Races:

Gambler Half Marathon~4/22/2012

Warrior Dash~6/10/2012

9/25/11 Omaha Half Marathon~ 2:23:38

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    7. Oct 26, 2011 10:01 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Water

Thanks so much for posting this answer. I've been wondering about this myself as my long runs are just now getting to be in the 1 hour+ range and will be 5 miles this weekend. I've heard conflicting things like whether it's 1 hour or whether it's 6 miles. I felt okay this past weekend but have realized that I might need to think about 5 miles as being the point I will have to worry about taking water with me.

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    8. Oct 26, 2011 10:23 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)
    Water

I pre-position water bottles out on my course -- egs - next to a sign post, a telephone pole; guard rail, etc.; I put the empties where I can find them, and pick them up later.

• Run4Choclt Pro 80 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    9. Oct 26, 2011 12:28 PM (in response to skypilot77)
    Water

Just hope you don't have neighbors like mine that like to drive around town on their Rascals and pick them up!!!!

-2011 Races-

8/28/11 - Pekin, IL Greater Area Peoria 5k (1st ever 5k!) - 37:05

9/3/11 - Kewanee, IL Hog Stomp 4m - 45:23

9/10/11 - East Troy, WI Historical Society 5k - 34:02

9/17/11 - Morton, IL Pumpkin Classic 10k - 1:06:22

10/1/11 - Morton, IL St. Jude Road Race 5k - 31:56 - PR

10/8/11 - Peoria, IL United Way 5k - 32:50

10/22/11 - Peoria, IL Boo Run 5k - 32:50

10/29/11 - Chicago, IL Monster Dash Half Marathon (1st ever HM!) - 2:40:06

- Training For 2012 Races-

3/3/12 - Peoria, IL Gaelic Gallop 5k -

3/10/12 - Morton, IL Cactus Classic 10k or half ? -

3/24/12 - Pekin, IL Saints 5k -

3/24/12 - Peoria, IL Interplanetary 5k -

3/31/12 - Peoria Heights, IL Half Marathon -

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    10. Oct 26, 2011 9:04 PM (in response to Run4Choclt)
    Water

great topic and good info here all, as only two weeks ago i ran my farthest distance (Half; 13.1 miles) and had NO water or gels. I felt i needed something after mile 9, and i missed a sprinkler by about 4 seconds, ouch.  So it was my first Half, and i did it in 2hrs 1min. I weighed before and after the run and lost 4.8 lbs, but consumed no water.  yeah i know, not good, that's why ive posted on another thread i'm trying to figure out what to try for water.  Not sure i can leave little bottles around. but like Terranss does, i think i might get one of those small hand-held bottles.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    11. Oct 27, 2011 5:48 AM (in response to AlfNiner)
    Water

I wear a belt with 4 bottles for my long runs 2 or 3 with water and 1-2 with sports drink.  At 1st the belt sucks but you get use to it.    I don't use it during races.

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    12. Oct 27, 2011 6:52 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)
    Water

I love my FuelBelt.  It really depends on how hot it is outside.  When it's 90+, I'll bring water on 3 miles + just in case.  Lately, I haven't needed water for my shorter 4 mile runs, but do bring it for 6 miles plus. 

• Davhorsley Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 31, 2011
    13. Oct 31, 2011 1:55 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Like a few other folks here, I've run my last three longer races and never stopped once for water or gatorade. One was rainy and colder-OKC Memorial 1/2 last April, one was cooler-KC Wadell and Reed 1/2 Oct 15TH (even had to stop around mile 10 and lose some water), and one was just colder/cooler, Tulsa Run 9.3 mi. last Saturday. I've also never carried water on any of my training runs, all the way up to 12 miles. But my sister almost always carries water, so I think it's more of a personal choice, and how well you hydrate before your races/runs. I can also say that I almost never think about hydrating in the days prior to my longer (8,10,12) training runs, and do just fine. I just got into running about two years ago, I'm 43, a male, and weigh around 175 (clydesdale class). I feel like I sweat a lot, but still never really feel the need to carry water. I've noticed a dry mouth feeling on a couple rare occassions, but I can't say that it was after I had run all that many miles? I'd say just keep building up your distance and see how you feel. Don't feel like you've got to strap something on, just because you see other people doing it. I'm looking to possibly start training for my first full marathon, so I may be carrying water in the future as my runs exceed the 12-14 mile distance. I may also start using Gu, and other aids as the distance increases. If it will help me improve performance, feel better running, recover faster, or any noticable benefit, I'm all for it. Good luck and good training.

P.S. I forgot that I do actually take a water bottle with me when I do training runs on a treadmill at the Y. It's just more convenient and easy, so why not. Sometimes I drink from it when I'm running, but a lot of times I'm just drinking before and after.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    14. Oct 31, 2011 5:07 PM (in response to Davhorsley)

Davhorsley - let me just say that the first couple years I didn't pay much attention to hydration, and I ended up with kidney stones for my trouble.  You may want to start paying it more attention.  BTW, I've never seen a race that considers 175 to be clydesdale.  Most don't even classify my 190 as clydesdale.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points