Skip navigation

861 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 12:25 PM by CoachingPower1111 RSS
CoachingPower1111 Amateur 11 posts since
Apr 10, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 29, 2011 12:25 PM

Tex Winter's Triangle Offense

"Tex Winter, until 2007 a consultant of the Los Angeles Lakers, is one of the most respectful basketball coach in the world and the innovator of the triangle offense, learned from coach Sam Barry of the University of Southern California, where he played."??

I was not the inventor of this offense, but an innovator of this style of play. I think this is a great offense for every level of play, from the high school to the pros. To describe it, I would say it is a sideline triangle on one side of the court and a two-man play on the other side, where the offensive options are dictated by the moves and the reactions of the defenders. The system Winter used with the Bulls and now with the Lakers let the players takes shots out of the flow of the offense. This "method of play", as I like to call this offense, is a unique concept in basketball, the one that gives a team the option to play unselfishly and still be creative in their offensive decisions. Naturally, this style of play demands the players to be disciplined and to submit their own will to that of the group. Therefore, it is necessary to ask the players to be as complete as it takes to perform the tasks demanded to them, to be able to execute the fundamental skills necessary to make the offense effective, which is the key to any system of play.

Interested in the Triangle Offense? Learn More

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...