Skip navigation

2733 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2011 7:56 PM by gnagel60 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
gnagel60 Amateur 14 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2011 3:28 AM

Suspended or completed game?

Pony baseball game, OBR applies...

At the end of the sixth inning, the home team was winning by a score of 5 to 4.  In the too of the seventh, the road team scored two runs to take a one run lead.  But, with two outs in the top of the seventh inning, the teams were forced off the field due to a thunderstorm.  Within minutes, the fields were flooded and unplayable.  The umpire called the game.

What happens next?  Is this game suspended and to be continued from where it left off?  Or, is it over with the score reverting back to the last complete inning of play with a home team win of 5 to 4 ?

Thanks,

Glenn

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Oct 31, 2011 5:13 AM (in response to gnagel60)

Score reverts to end of 6th, Home Team wins 5-4.

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Oct 31, 2011 7:15 AM (in response to Lou_B)
    Re: Suspended or completed game?

I know that's true for LL.  But Glenn said it was PONY ball.

According to PONY Rule 11(F), any game that is called in an uncompleted inning where the visiting team has tied or taken the lead, and the home team has not tied or retaken the lead, is considered a suspended game, to be completed later.  This is in line with OBR 4.12(a)(5).  There is no "revert back" rule that I could find in the PONY rule book.

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Nov 1, 2011 7:07 AM (in response to Manny_A)

Pony has a supplemental blue book that covers that type of question. I don't have one right now so I'm not sure if they are a revert league or not.

Michael S. Taylor

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Nov 1, 2011 7:11 AM (in response to Manny_A)

Manny, I believe the rule you cite in PONY, is for games that are suspended for darkness of some sort of unique event.  The game called because of rain or some other weather event, does come under the MLB rules and reverts back to the previous completed inning.   TM

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Nov 1, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to Manny_A)

Re Little League:

The applicable rule as applied to LL  regular season play vs.LL  tournament play, begs mentioning.

LL regular season play-- score reverts to last completed inning, game over 5-4----as noted by Lou and reiterated by Manny.

However--due to a LL tournament  rule change, effective  2011-----the game would be suspended; continued the same day if possible, OR, continued another day.  T-Rule #13(b)  applies to all LL tournament division levels----at least it did for the first time in the 2011 T-games.

[I, and others locally, wait for the time when LL Inc., applies that T-rule change for regular season play also----eliminating the "gnashing of teeth" by a visitig team, and their fans, when their team  scores "umpteen"  go-ahead runs in the top half of a regulation game inning and loses the game when score reverts to previous inning as a result of the game being stopped, for good reason, by the umpire]

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    6. Nov 1, 2011 1:23 PM (in response to TheMouth__1)

If I could do a "cut-paste", I would provide the exact language.  Instead, I will paraphrase from the rule book.

On page 21 of the 2011 PONY Baseball Rules and Regulations, under Rule 11 - Length of Games, it says this under paragraph F:  If a game is called for any reason in an uncompleted inning, after having reached complete-game length [which, in earlier paragraphs, are described as "regulation" games] and the visiting team ties or takes the lead in the uncompleted inning, and the home team does not tie or retake the lead, the game shall be considered a suspended game and shall continue where it left off.  Note that there is nothing that differentiates the game being stopped by weather, curfew, darkness, mechanical problems with sprinkler systems, etc. etc.  It says "for any reason."

Now, if there's a supplemental book that Michael mentioned, I am unaware of that.  I'm just going with what I found in the rule book.  Here's the link to the book:

?http://www.lamvpb.org/pdf/PonyRules2011.pdf

BTW, there is no revert back rule in MLB.  It, too, becomes a suspended game to be completed later.

May 25, 2007
    7. Nov 1, 2011 1:26 PM (in response to Frank_B)

Frank, I don't envision LL HQ enacting the tournament rule for regular season play.  The reason they put this rule into effect for tourney play was because the games are too important to have a revert-back rule.  For regular season, those games don't have the emphasis to require such a rule, at least in the minds of those in W-port.

Of course, I could be wrong.  LL HQ has done some strange things before....

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    8. Nov 2, 2011 7:47 AM (in response to Manny_A)

You are probably right Manny--but it sure took W'port many years to realize the international implications of the "revert" rule in T-play.

As far as invoking the T-rule for regular season play-----the implications are *local, and depending on whose ox is being gored, I wish I had a dollar for every time my phone jumped off the hook when the score reverted to the previous inning and I heard the refrain..."It's a stupid rule."

*Local--- meaning----league division playoff standings  are (sometimes) affected when an apparent win for a team becomes a loss when reverting to a previous inning score.

Frank!

May 30, 2007
    9. Nov 3, 2011 7:07 AM (in response to Manny_A)

Manny, you are quite correct that this is the rule in Tournament play.  I was citing the MLB rules during regular season play.  PS:  you say there is "no revert back rule" in MLB?   I don't agree with this.   There certainly is.   TM

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10. Nov 3, 2011 7:33 AM (in response to TheMouth__1)

There was a revert back at one time. There is no longer.

See 4.12(a)(5) specifically and 4.12 in general.

May 30, 2007
    11. Nov 4, 2011 8:24 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Rich when was it changed?   TM

May 25, 2007
    12. Nov 4, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to TheMouth__1)

Many years back.  The oldest OBR rules I have is from 2004 and there was NO revert back then.

May 30, 2007
    13. Nov 4, 2011 11:44 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

Rich, I just looked up the latest MLB Official Rules on line and Section 4.10 (a) and (c) still state that a game is official if 41/2 innings (home team) or 5 innings (visiting team) have been completed before the game is called.  This would mean that if rain halts the game in i.e. top of the 6th the visiting team scores 3 runs to take a lead, but the home team doesn't get to bat because of the game being called, the game reverts back to the previous inning, and is not suspended.   I'm confused.   TM

May 25, 2007
    14. Nov 4, 2011 2:23 PM (in response to TheMouth__1)

Read the rule I told you to read:

4.12 SUSPENDED GAMES.

(a) A game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date if

the game is terminated for any of the following reasons:

(1) A curfew imposed by law;

(2) A time limit permissible under league rules;

(3) Light failure or malfunction of a mechanical field device under control of the

home club. (Mechanical field device shall include automatic tarpaulin or water

removal equipment);

(4) Darkness, when a law prevents the lights from being turned on;

(5) Weather, if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and

before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more

runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead; or

(6) It is a regulation game that is called with the score tied.

The games are suspended - not reverted.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points