Skip navigation

611 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2011 1:27 PM by JoeLoureiro RSS
JoeLoureiro Expert 44 posts since
Apr 21, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2011 10:53 AM

Mother Nature Strikes Again!

Here we are, marathon week! I had planned to run 10 miles this weekend, with the last 6 at marathon pace. However, I had been up on my feet all day Friday and Saturday prepping and cooking a 5 course meal for about 100 donors in celebration of the 5 year anniversary of the Cor Unum Meal Center. So I didn't go for the run Saturday morning, and thought that I could fit it in Sunday afternoon after the anticipated snow storm. Well the storm arrived Saturday afternoon, and by the time I got home late that night, the weight of the snow on the still leafed branches knocked out the power lines in most of the town that I live in. After cleaning the snow, and the broken branches that fell in the yard, I didn't have much rest. I finally went out Sunday evening, and ran 5 miles versus the planned 10. I did run about 4 miles at marathon pace. I ended up taking a freezing cold shower after that. This morning, the power is still out, and not planned to be back up until late this week. I got up from my nice warm bed to an unheated house! Went out for 4 easy miles, and again finished it with the "nice" freezing shower. I finally warmed up when I got to work!!!

Hope your week is going better! What are your challenges leading to marathon day?

• SJRUN Expert 55 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 31, 2011 11:31 AM (in response to JoeLoureiro)
    Mother Nature Strikes Again!

You have my sympathies...and admiration for getting out to run at all in that mess.  I hope your power is restored quickly.

I'm liking the sound of 60 and sunny on race day.  It sure beats your scenario.  I know that's a little warm for very competitive runners, but since my last rainy, cold long-run a few weeks ago when I strained my knee, I get tight and achy whenever it's wet and chilly.

Hoping my knee holds on is my biggest challenge I think.  I've lost a little fitness resting it, but if my gracillis and sartorius hang in there I think I can too!

(My other big challenge is laying off the Haagen-Dazs during the taper!) 

Good luck Sunday!  See you on the Verrazano!

"If you think you will fail or that you will succeed, you'll be right."

Recent and Upcoming Races:

New York NY - ING NY Marathon, Nov. 6, 2011 - Finish time 4:53:24

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...