Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1205 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2012 12:11 AM by ManikSona RSS
Larryphoto Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2011 8:45 AM

Mixing in Weight Training

Hello everyone!

I'm in Week 5 of C25K and loving it.  I would like to start mixing in some weight training, but wondered when was the best time to do that?  Better to do it on my running days or on the rest days?

I generally run Sun/Tues/Thur mornings.  When would be the ideal time to do my workouts?

Thanks for any advice!

• RTeps Expert 51 posts since
    Oct 13, 2011
    1. Nov 4, 2011 4:10 PM (in response to Larryphoto)

Hi,

If I were you I would talk to a professional trainer to determine what kind of weight training you want to do and how it will work in with your schedule.  From my own experience, I work my upper body and core on the off days of running and then on the days of running I also do a few leg routines like squats, lunges, wall sits and calf raises.  That way I am working my legs all on the same days and my upper body and core on the other days.  By doing that I ensure that my legs get the rest they need between runs.  Just my 2 cents on that.  Hope that helps.

-Ryan

Started C25K on 10/17/2011, Finished C25K on 12/17/2011!

Completed and continue to do P90X

Goal is to lose 30-40 pounds!

The Thin Blue Line!

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    2. Nov 5, 2011 5:17 AM (in response to Larryphoto)

I have some knowledge on this topic and i'll say this: If you want to lift weights you can't be the strongest and the fastest at the same time. You either go for speed or power or half and half!  I have friends that are powerlifters and they can't run alot if they want to be good at it... Same from the opposite direction.

Don't do any leg training other than running walking and stretching if you want to go for max speed! ( in distance running)

• Irun100s Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 29, 2011
    4. Dec 29, 2011 12:13 PM (in response to RTeps)

Mixing in weight training is a great idea.  A lot of people are intimidated by weights and machines and do not know which is better.  I find that I like free weights over machines, but there are those machines that I really enjoy using.  Here is a great article now Free Weights vs Machines that really explains weight lifting in detail.

Irun100s

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    5. Jan 2, 2012 12:11 AM (in response to Larryphoto)

I believe weight lifting in between runs can help build your strength and endurance.  On my off days of running I like to do some other type of strength training, whether it is weights or just pilates, I find I am a lot stronger in my running when I do this.  Good luck to you.

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...