Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1264 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2011 10:26 AM by rbird
freetshirts Amateur 8 posts since
Jun 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2011 11:21 AM

Transition to forefoot strike -- help!

Hi all,

Because of recurring knee problems, i'm trying to make the switch from a heel-strike to more forefoot/midfoot strike, or so-called "natural running." I am going to start slow. I am prepared for my feet and calves to hurt.

My question is this -- will I hurt myself if I try to run like this in my current light-stability running shoes? (I wear Mizuno Inspires)

And if I need to make the switch to a more "minimalist" shoe for this to work, does anyone have recommendations?  I do not want to run barefoot, and "ground feel" is not important to me. I just want a shoe that will make it easier to transition to a forefoot strike, and not hinder my form or put extra stress on my feet or calves.

Any feedback or suggestions would be most welcome. And if anyone else has tried this transition, I'd love to hear what worked for you!

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Nov 9, 2011 11:39 AM (in response to freetshirts)

Danielle,

I am not a minimalist nor do I run in Newtons.  Search Newton shoes they assist you in running up front.  I have friends who run in them and love them, they have great form. I am a mid foot/heel striker and also would love to get more on my forefoot but taking it slow, I am a fairly healthy runner my coach does not want me to switch yet.  When you do make sure you do it a little at a time so you don't get hurt.  Good luck

• goals123 Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 23, 2011
    2. Nov 9, 2011 10:11 PM (in response to freetshirts)

Hello Danielle, I am not an expert or anything, I have only been running for nine months, but I do not mind sharing my experience with changing foot strike.

I started out running with a heel strike. I was just proud to be running. Then I got to where I wanted to get faster. So I did some reading and found that mid to forefoot striking was much more efficient. So I started about two months ago focusing on efficiency all together, posture, breathing, decreasing the amount of steps I would take in one minute. I have increased my time tremendously this way! I went from a thirty minute 5k nine months ago to 25:22. I found that when I ran with short, quick turnover I naturally started striking on the forefoot. I have not changed shoes for fear of injury, but when I feel I am consistent enough to change I will go to a specialty store and get their advice. I run in the very cushy saucony ride 4 now, so I know the shoe I go to for forefoot striking will be a big change. I never knew I would be soooo afraid to change shoes in my life! LOL. So far, I have only experienced what I think is normal pain from transitioning. My forefoot was a little sore for about two weeks.

Good luck! I hope everything works out well for you.

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Nov 22, 2011 10:26 AM (in response to freetshirts)
    Re: Transition to forefoot strike -- help!

I recently started experimenting with minimalist shoes.  I ran an ultra marathon in Merrell Trail Gloves and lately have been doing most of my running in sandals -both homemade huaraches and Invisible Shoes.

Can you hurt yourself? - Definitely.

I know you said you don't want to run barefoot, but in my experience, running barefoot or in extremely minimal shoes will help you make the changes to your stride that you are seeking.  For me the change was automatic and I was up on my forefoot within a few steps.  I just couldn't maintain that form for very long at first.

It's important to start slow, as if you were a newbie runner, and build up your distance gradually.  Rushing into it is a recipe for disaster.

I've been having a lot of fun in the process.

Check out some of the recent posts in my blog (the link is in my sig) to see how it has been working for me.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points