Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8435 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2011 7:43 AM by Kouripoulavi RSS 1 2 Previous Next
kpenter Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2011 7:19 PM

Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Hi all,

Last week I completed Week 1 of Couch to 5K. It was brutal. I've always considered myself atheltic but running for long distances has never been my strong suit. I'm a hefty gal weighing in over 200 lbs. I won't divuldge the exact number because it is not good.

Week 2 started out rough. I was very sluggish on day one. Day two was tonight. I logged on to make sure I was doing it right and lo and behold I was not. I was running for 90 seconds and walking 60 seconds. Where I got the 60 seconds, no idea. Tomorrow I will do better at running 90 and walking for two minutes.

My pace is very slow and sometimes I just want to pass out at the end of the 90 seconds but I push through.

Any other fellow fatties trying out Couch to 5K?If so, how is it going for you? WE CAN DO IT!

Much love,

K

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    1. Nov 17, 2011 9:55 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

I am also a big girl.  I am also over 200 lbs.  I am on w3 of the C25K. I am battling shin splints right now that are related to my back being out and so haven't been able to run this week, but will be going to the chiro tomorrow and then back on track on Saturday. 

One thing that I have learned is that your running speed can actually be as slow or slower than your walking speed.  THat has helped me a lot. Byt aking it slow I am still getting the running in, but not having the injuries or pain that I had when I tried to do the c25k before. 

You can do it!  I am going to be back in week 2 on Saturday to make up for my missed week so we will do this together. 

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• txtnneon Amateur 29 posts since
    Nov 21, 2011
    2. Nov 21, 2011 7:10 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Hey y'all

I've been doing c25k for awhile, but not on a consistent basis.  I exercise six days a week either walking, doing hot yoga or c25k.  I've lost 40 pounds, got below the 200 mark (198) and thought that would help me overcome my struggles.  I just can't seem to get past the 90 second mark. I am literally gasping for air just before 90 seconds.   I feel like I'm never going to get beyond week 2.  I'm doing week2 again. Augh!!!!! 

I've signed up for another 5k in January that I'd like to run more of it than walk.  I really want to do this!!!!!  I guess I should be more focused and get out there three times a week!!!!

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    3. Nov 23, 2011 6:35 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Yes, larger folks can do this!  Some of us just take longer. I'm 5'6" , 38 and over 200.  My BMI was way over 30 when I started - and while I've lost weight I'm still obese.  It took me months to graduate and every run is still a challenge-

A few things that I learned:

- find the newbie thread for 200+, it's a supportive community,

- join or create a thread for people who all started the same week as you  

- make a choice do the program for time (30 minutes) or distance.   I recommend time first, since is larger folk tend to be slow- than go back a few weeks and do the diatance 

- i had learn to run very slow to complete all the week 1 segments.  (and yes my run pace was very close to my walk pace).  I just kept reminding myself that progress was anything faster than a couch.  the speed comes after the endurance is built

- if your doing this to loose weight, you have to make changes to your diet. 

- trust the program but don't be afraid to repeat weeks or days.

- there are apps that you can use for smartphones so you can listen to your own music and just wait for the bells. 

- stretch well after your runs.

- find a running store and have them fit you for a pair of running shoes- not a sporting good store, a running store.  The extra weight makes us injury prone and the correct shoe can help us with our form and balance

- their is a difference between aches an hurt- listen to your body.  If you ate hurt, stop for a few days.  And start back slow.

Take baby steps and don't be afraid to land on your a**- you can always get back up and try again

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

Nov 21, 2011
    4. Nov 27, 2011 2:34 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

I decided to start C25K over again and today did W1D1.  It went so much better than the first time I did it!!!  I was very prepared for the 60 second runs!!!  I'm so proud.  I"m going to do this program like it suggests, every other day.  I will do W1D2 tomorrow and then get on the MWSat plan.  It was cooler than I"m used to so I don 't know how that might have affected what I did, but I do know I"m going to have to learn how to dress appropriately! 

All in all, this has been one of the best Thanksgiving's in recent history.  My refrigerator is NOT full of left overs, I did NOT gain any weight over the holiday and I'm committed to doing the c25k!!  Watch out January 5K, I might make it after all!!!!

• bawxie Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 20, 2011
    5. Nov 30, 2011 10:30 AM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

i am also big and considered myself athletic. however when i began the c25k i thought i  was going to die from being unable to breathe! by w1d2, i couldn`t believe how much easier it was to breathe! i am on w2d3 today and i am actually looking forward to it which is odd because i`ve never been a fan of running. but i have seen a few friends that were very overweight begin to run and they have now lost a lot of weight. that`s very motivating to me.. to know that if i try my hardest.. i might have comparable accomplishments!

also.. what has helped me is that i downloaded the c25k app for my ipod touch. it beeps in my ear signaling me to run/walk. i still have yet to get some actual running shoes, but i think the ones i`m using now are okay for now. when i get closer to graduation and near the time of my very first 5k run, i will look into getting some!

good luck everyone!

"in running, it doesn`t matter whether you came in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. you can say, 'i have finished.' there is a lot of satisfaction in that." - fred lebow.

• ElizabethAnnNH Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 30, 2011
    6. Nov 30, 2011 1:25 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

I am a newbie on this forum and will be starting the C25K program tomorrow.  I'm super nervous because I am over 200 pounds - 220 to be exact.  I'll be doing this program on a treadmill because I am too self conscious to do it on the road.  And, I'm thinking the treadmill may be a little softer than cement.  Thus, less chance of injury. 

I'll be signing up for a 5K this spring (not sure which one yet).

I hope to utilize this forum as a sounding board and to read any advice and words of encouragement y'all have to offer.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    7. Nov 30, 2011 2:58 PM (in response to ElizabethAnnNH)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Congrats on starting the program Elizabeth!

Think about starting outdoors with brisk walking and progressing to slow jogging in areas along the route that are most comfortable for you.  When I began running, I was also nervous about moving along outside in certain areas, so I structured paths in more secluded sections.  You will become more confident in your abilities and just remember to focus on your overall goals for the future. 

Nov 21, 2011
    8. Nov 30, 2011 4:10 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Great job getting started Elizabeth. I started walking at 240 pounds and decided that I couldnt worry abut others...I'm bettering my health and outside is so much nicer than inside. I walked early in the morning when it was cooler. With the help of Weightwatchers and exercise I've lost 40 pounds since Aug 1.

I was doing C25K intermittently and wasnt getting better so I started over last Sunday. I just completed week one and it has been much easier than the first time around. I'm ready for week 2!!!!!

• firebirdsfather Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 1, 2011
    9. Dec 1, 2011 9:54 AM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

kpenter wrote:

I'm a hefty gal weighing in over 200 lbs. I won't divuldge the exact number because it is not good.

Just had a thought about this, numbers aren't good or bad... just an indicator of progress.  I'm 6'2" and I weigh 312 and my weight loss is over the last 10 years, that's about when I was my heaviest at over 400lbs.  (I figure a weight without a height is not a good indicator of progress, so that's why I'm giving both).  I've recently been really kicking the progress into gear with some intention that I hadn't had in the past.  Last time I got down to this weight, I did it without community and pretty much on pure willpower going to the gym.  The problem was I didn't pay attention to or change my other habits.  Since I was losing weight while working out, why change how I ate?  Bad plan.  Now I'm starting with a can-do mindset, changing my beliefs about food and exercise and have a supportive community of friends in real life and on facebook and MyFitnessPal.com supporting me.  Reach out for help and support (like you did here) and you'll find that its right there ready for you!

I just found out about c25k and did my first walk/jog last night.  It was hard and so rewarding - thanks to the afterwards walk-it-off I'm not even all sore today.  Small victories are so rewarding.

I used the podcast from c25k to handle timing, the author prompts you when to run or walk and plays some workout appropriate music.  If you want to use your own music, maybe use an app like RunDouble for Android, or I'm sure there's iPhone apps as well.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

---

Emmanuel

emanp - Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Kouripoulavi Expert 44 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    10. Dec 1, 2011 2:01 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Hi All...

I am new to posting on this.  Tomorrow I do W2D3.  I am 5'7'' and weigh 234#.  This is the heaviest I've been by about 15 pounds.  I was recently married last summer, and well...because of various reasons am now the weight that I am.

I am pretty active.  I like to swim laps and swim a mile in about 30 minutes.  I have been doing this pretty faithfully since August, however I don't seems to be dropping much weight.  Part of it was because of meds I was on...but I am off of those now and I just decided to throw this C25K thing into the regimine again. 

I would really love to try a triathalon someday, but I am just not a runner/jogger/runner or anything like that.

So...we'll see how good this program is!  C25K, I accept your challenge. 

Week one didn't seem to be too big of a problem.  Week two has seemed ok...my big problem is the discomfort/pain I feel on the outside of my lower leg about halfway throw the jog/walk.  I know some of it is because I'm carrying around this extra weight, and some of it is because of the way I walk/run.

I have a good shoe, and I've started stretching more.  I think my body needs to get used to this kind of movement.

On my off days I am lifting weights and swimming from time to time. 

I'm most nervous about the point where you jump into the 20 minute run, but I'm happy that I have a few weeks until I get there!

Good luck to all.  I'm hoping to check in here often.  Happy running/walking/jogging/wogging...whatever it is you do!

R

Nov 21, 2011
    11. Dec 1, 2011 7:11 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Just signed up for a Jingle Bell 5 mile race. Don't plan to run all of it, but will do more running than walking!!!!  I've done three 5k recently, so I'm not worried about the distance. Should be fun!!!

• runnermommy3 Pro 139 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    12. Dec 1, 2011 7:53 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Hi there!

I started C25K 1/14/11, and when I started I weighed in at 184.4 lbs. I had never, ever been a runner. Heck, running a block was a stretch for me! But I kept pushing through the program, and ran my firsr race (Shamrock Shuffle 8K) on 4/10/11. My goal at the time was just to finish before the course closed . I did that, and I was hooked! Since then I've run several 5Ks, a 4 mile race last week, and a 10K at the end of October. I LOVE it now, and can't believe I can actually run 4 miles without stopping.

My recommendation is to go slow when you first start out. As you keep running, you'll be building your endurance. Then you can start working on your speed. When I first started my running, my mile was closer to 16 minutes. Now I'm down to about 11:30/mile.

Good luck!

Carolyn, wife to Chad and mom to three boys

Started WW and C25K on 1/10/11

Starting Weight: 184.4 lbs

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

Current Weight: 131.4

Rookie runner

Race results for 2011:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 4/10/11 - 1:10:26

Bridge to Bridge 5K 5/7/11 - 39:59

Graham's Sundae 5K 7/31/11 - 38:48

Eagles Run 5K 8/6/11 - 38:28

Run for the Athletes 5K 8/17/11 - 39.04

Pumpkin Run 10K 10/30/11 - 1:12:24

Hot Chocolate 5K 11/5/11 - 34:24 - PR!!!!

Fox and the Turkey Trot 4 miler - 44:34

Snowflake Shuffle 5K - 35:11 - last race of 2011

Race results for 2012:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 3/25/12 - 56:42!!

• babydollinman Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    13. Dec 1, 2011 9:59 PM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Just thought I'd chime in here.  I am 5'4" 230lbs 38 y/o.  I have never, ever been a runner.  I can remember back in middle school in P.E. avoiding anything remotely similar to running (I was an asthmatic kid so I talked my way out of running fairly easily!).  Lately, I have started having other health problems, many of which are related to my weight.  I started looking for an activity to promote health and hopefully help me lose some weight.  I talked to my sister who is a very committed runner to find out what she would suggest and she immediately said C25K.  So I went home and looked into it.  I started the program the first week of Oct.  I absolutely thought I was going to die right there on the street!  The first 3 weeks, for me, were torture.  But, I kept getting up and getting out there and getting it done (I did repeat week 2 and took one week off for a back injury that flaired up).  Then something strange happened Week 4, I found myself looking forward to the running .  I found I could meet the next days goals.  I was feeling more energetic.  I have since completed W6D3 (did this on Thanksgiving Day). Unfortunately the next day I was sidelined by a very bad cold.  I took a week off and today I ran.  I dropped back to W6D2 because my breathing is still being affected by the cold.  This Saturday I am signed up for a 5K run with my sister.  I may not be able to run the whole thing but the fact that I can run any of it is a miracle in my book.  I haven't weighed since I started (in the past, getting on the scale has derailed many good efforts at healthy activity, so I decided to avoid it for a little while this time) but I can tell my clothes are fitting better.  Doing this program has given me an overwhelming sense of accomplishment that I haven't felt in a very long time and I really encourage all of you to give it a try.  You can do it.  Don't let your weight hold you back.  Take your time, slow down when you need to, feed your body properly.  I can't wait to finish and say I am a graduate of C25K!  I already have some races planned for this summer....

Sarah

• MManzo6577 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 2, 2011
    14. Dec 2, 2011 7:36 AM (in response to kpenter)
    Couch to 5K- Fatty Style

Hello!  I'm new to here but wanted to throw my two cents, I'm 6-4 and started off around 300pounds.  I just competed my first 5K ever after completing the C25K app.  I must say that app very well may have saved my life!!!  The first few weeks were hard....ok they were MURDER!  As the weeks progressed I really started to notice a difference not only in my weight, but my attitude and outlook on life as a whole.  My original goal was just to finish the 5K, then it progressed to finishing it under 35 minutes.  Eventualy I set my time goal at 30 minutes with two weeks left in the program.  I finished at 28:18!!!  Now I can officially say I have been bitten by the runners bug and can't wait to complete my first 10K, which I'm using the Bridge to 10K app for that.  So as a fellow "huscular" runner I must say this app is THE BEST RUNNING TOOL I have ever used!  All I can say is that even though the workouts seem to get harder as the weeks go by, you'll see yourself actually straining less to complete then...I recommend as a change up when you are in week 5 or 6 to run W1D1 again.  You will be AMAZED at how easy it is, then you'll be stunned with your progress comparing it to when you first started and wanted to pass out!   Good luck and stick with it, it turns into a life style that is so much fun!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...