Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3243 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2012 11:41 AM by BOSNPM
MrsMargieLee Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2011 1:28 PM

How to continuously train for half marathons?

All -

I will be doing Dodge Latin Music Miami Beach in about 2 weeks and just registered for ING Miami in January.....these will be #2 and #3 half marathons, respectively, for me.  How do people continously traing for back-to-back marathons?  My goal is to do a half marathon each month next year.  Is that too much??

• davidmcw Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    1. Nov 29, 2011 10:46 AM (in response to MrsMargieLee)

I guess it can be done...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Izzard

Marathons

On 27 July 2009, with only 5 weeks' training and no significant prior history of running, Izzard began seven weeks of back-to-back marathon runs (with Sundays off) across the UK to raise money for Sport Relief. He ran from London to Cardiff, to Belfast, to Edinburgh, and back to London carrying flags of England, Scotland or Wales depending on which country he was in, and carried a self-designed green flag bearing a white dove when in Northern Ireland. The blog Eddie Iz Running was a document of his road running marathon, in which he ran 43 marathons in 51 days. He completed the run on 15 September 2009, after having run at least 27 miles each day, 6 days a week for 7 weeks straight, covering more than 1,100 miles across the UK.[37]Izzard received a special award at BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2009 for his achievements.[38]

Izzard ran his final marathon in five hours and 30 seconds, narrowly outside his projected time. However, had he not stopped and waited 20 minutes for his film crew to catch up with him he could have finished well under his target time. In March 2010, Izzard took part in the Sport Relief Mile event.[39]

Following the completion of the marathon runs, Izzard has started training to take part in an Ironman Triathlon, saying he has become fascinated with fitness "because there's no point in throwing away all that training".[40

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Nov 29, 2011 11:49 AM (in response to MrsMargieLee)

That is a hard question to answer correctly.  Can it be done I am sure plenty have. 

Halfs are a lot more forgiving than fulls, a questions to you would be running or racing?  Not sure what your weekly miles are or how long you have been running, but for me I would take a easy week after, 2 hard weeks and the last week easy before each half.  For me the mental part of racing/running a 1/2 every month would be harder than the run ( as I do a training run at least 13 miles every month).  Good luck listen to your body, if you can (it's hard).

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Nov 29, 2011 3:44 PM (in response to MrsMargieLee)

It is highly individualized and doing back-to-back races can sometimes be motivational and necessary to remaining focused on your goals.  Just remember that you are your own best advocate and the ultimate coach making choices about training, endurance and the best methods to achieve performance.  Every race should add confidence and preparation for the next challenge, and if scheduling those consistent events maintains your personal objectives, then do as many as possible.  I certainly share your passion for entering races whenever available.  If you are doing a half every month next year, add in some 8k and 10k competitions to assist in your training. 

Best of Luck!

• ydiez Pro 125 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    4. Jan 3, 2012 10:46 AM (in response to MrsMargieLee)

more on this topic,

I am about to complete a 9 week half marathon training plan. I have done surprisingly well, have not got inured and am looking forward to running my first half in February 5.

The only thing is that when I started the plan I picked one that was shorter than the actual time I had because I am injury prone and never really expected to complete the whole thing as smoothly as I have.

In short, I have two "extra" weeks before my race day and was wondering what I should do.

Week 7: Rest / 1 mile, 2x1200 CI (600), 4x400 SI (200), 4x200 SI (100), 1 mile / 4 miles / 1 mile, 3 miles PI(800), 1x800 CI(400), 2 miles PI, 1 mile / Rest / 4 miles + 6x100 S / 13 miles, incl. 8:00 TUT TOTAL 36 miles

Week 8: Rest / 1 mile, 2x1200 CI (600), 4x400 SI (200), 4x200 SI (100), 1 mile / 4 miles /1 mile, 4 miles PI (800), 1x800 CI (400), 2 miles PI, 1 mile / Rest / 6 miles + 6x100 S /6 miles (total 31 miles)

Week 9: Rest / 1 mile, 4x400 CI (200), 2x200 SI (100), 1 mile / 2 miles PI + 4x100 S / 1 mile, 2x400 CI (200), / 1x 200 SI, 1 mile / Rest / 3 miles easy /Half-marathon race

I am currently in week 7 and this is what I have left to do, I was wondering if I should maybe repeat weeks 7 and 8 before week 9 or if I should go for something different, I have been running 30-35 miles a week for about two months now (before that I averaged 20-25).

Thanks for your help!

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Jan 3, 2012 11:41 AM (in response to ydiez)
    Re: How to continuously train for half marathons?

Make week 9 your last week, and  do week 7  and 8 twice. You are not going to lose or gain much you just don't want to be flat or injured on race day.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points