Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1262 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 12:26 PM by cyndi t RSS
MTG24 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2011 9:07 PM

Sports Bra help!!!

I have been recently increasing my milage and I have been getting chafing along the bottom of my sports bra.  I am currently running in moving comfort brand sports bra, and have tried the body glide.  The chafing is getting worse everytime I run and my skin is now raw and looks like road rash.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

• amcgee16 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    1. Nov 28, 2011 9:27 PM (in response to MTG24)
    Sports Bra help!!!

I basically found that it depends on each run.  Chafing from my bra (all 20 brands I have) is just part of the norm.  During runs over 10 miles, I do apply vaseline to where I normally chafe.  That helps!  I don't normally chafe if the run is under 8 miles. 

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. Nov 29, 2011 7:38 AM (in response to MTG24)
    Sports Bra help!!!

I think Amcgee's mention of 20 bras is important. Try using a different one for every run, so the same spot is not continually irritated.

• hrsegirl Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 4, 2011
    3. Sep 24, 2012 4:48 PM (in response to MTG24)
    Sports Bra help!!!

I would try going to your local running or athletic store and get fitted.  80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra just walking around, of course this is going to cause more difficulty when you are active!  It sounds like there might be too much bounce in your bra - either your band or cup size (or maybe both) are too big, moving around and causing chafing. 

Also, maybe try washing your bra with every use.  If there is any lingering bacteria from your sweat, that is definitely NOT going to help already irritated skin.

Hope this helps!

Suzy Meathrell

hrsegirl@aol.com

2010: 289 lbs.

2011: 3 5ks, PR of 24.54 (now 23.54!)

2012: 3 10ks, PR of 50.10

Gonna do a 1/2 in December 2012

2013: Wildflower Triathlon (Olympic Length)

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    4. Oct 5, 2012 12:26 PM (in response to MTG24)
    Sports Bra help!!!

I'm a big fan of Moving Comfort Juno bra's but also chaf pretty bad in certain area on long runs.  I did tighten the straps and that does seem to thelp and over body glide...I mean really slather the stuff on.  I also purchased body glide that is tiny and can come on a run if that will help.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...