Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

48909 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 7:44 AM by KD8FQM RSS Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 Previous Next
  • Shrewsberry Expert 53 posts since
    Dec 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Feb 13, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to flatwatertx)
    Any December 2011 starters?

Post c25k - w2d1

Last week I ran intervals - this week I decided to push for long runs. Did 49 minutes today - at a very easy pace.

It felt absolutely fine - no joint or muscle effects so far - we'll see what tomorrow brings!

Can't believe after just 32 runs I'm running for 49 minutes straight. Crazy.

As usual the dogs got theirs after I got mine!

iphone 048.JPG

Dec 19, 2011
    241. Feb 15, 2012 5:54 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Great run today - did w2d1 of c25k running all through - including the warmup and cool down -  but picking up speed on the "runs". Felt like a good workout.

Then went for a very fast 60 minute hike up a steep snowmobile trail - a climb that used to really wind me. That is the fun-est thing of all - seeing the progress in the other activities.

I plan to do another long one on Friday - probably over an hour but most likely with some walking as the route I'm planning has one absolute killer hill at the end.

Hope everyone is still running!

• littleTortoise Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012
    242. Feb 16, 2012 5:40 PM (in response to Shrewsberry)

My first 5k race is Saturday. This was my goal all along but I'm very nervous. I pickup my bib number tomorrow. I had a great run today- 3 miles in 34 minutes, slightly better than my regular 12mm pace. I have to remember to go slow and steady. Recently I'm pretty excited about hitting the road and start too fast then have to walk. I'll have to draw a tortoise on my arm to remember. Today was a great run though and I snapped a picture. It had rained so I splashed puddles and dodged squirrels on the path Squirrel-photo.JPG

Dec 19, 2011
    243. Feb 17, 2012 2:06 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Post C25K

Did another long 'run' today - about 65 minutes. Put run in quotes because I had to walk (hike) the final 15-20 minutes. It was a killer hill - 350 ft gain over a relatively short stretch - parts were so steep it seemed I could extend my arm and touch the road surface in front of me. KILLER! But fun.

I ran down very steep hills today for the first time as well. That was odd. Totally different sensations.

Not sure what I'll do next week - might find a flat route and do some speed work - proper fartleks. Its hard to do them consistently with the hills. And I'm finding that running 'fast' is a sensation you have to get used to - you might have the muscle and cardio ability to do it but the body still has to get used to the extra impact et al. So all in all I think it would be best to work on it on flatter terrain.

Then the following week I think I'll start 'East into 10K'...

Hope everyone is training well.

• littleTortoise Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012
    244. Feb 19, 2012 9:56 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Shrewsberry- thanks for keeping up the posts! I'm in for En210k!

I completed my first 5k yesterday! I even finished under my expected time. I just tried to keep pace with someone in the crowd and tried to stay slow and steady. I passed people on the hills slowing to a walk but then got passed by people on the downhills! It was nice to see so many people out to an event like this, old and young! It was amazing to run through a finish line to a cheering crowd. I think I'm ready to try the Ease into 10k program now. It's hard to think about being a "freshman" again for a new goal. I do look forward to my runs though.

Day 1 will be Monday or Wednesday. Anyone else?

• Lanawhit Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 19, 2012
    245. Feb 19, 2012 11:36 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Ok.... Hi all...  I just heard about this 'couch to 5K' thing a few days ago from a friend of mine, so I googled it Earlier today and somehow ended up at this site... I'm still not understanding what exactly to do, and can't seem to find the/a site where there is a step by step (plan) list of what to do each day.

I am a 54 year old woman who basically has never exercised in my life. Well, short of the occasional walk

Here and there. I did join a fitness center a couple of weeks ago, and have been going up every few days to walk on the treadmill. I don't mind tellin ya... I HATE exercise, BUT I would love to get to the point of not only enjoying exercise/running, but actually craving it. I would be a dream come true for me to be able to participate in a marathon someday, and at this point- just finishing a 5K run would be somewhat of a miracle!

If anyone could please point me in a direction of hoW to go about getting started in this program, that would be so great! I'd love to start as soon as possible... Maybe sometime this week?

Thanks!!!  -Lana

• Sharly Q Pro 92 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    246. Feb 20, 2012 5:38 AM (in response to Lanawhit)

Hi Lana! I saw your post and I'm thrilled that you have a question I can help with! I'm very new to this and just started the C25K plan on Saturday, myself.

You can find the plan located here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. There is also a plan laid out specifically for the treadmill here: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html, which is the one I am using. I have only done the week 1-day 1 session and found it completely doable. I plan to mix in some outdoor sessions as well.

I can relate to a lot of what you said. I am 51 years old, and up until about two years ago, I was obese.  I lost around 65 lbs. by counting calories consumed and burned, and walking. I set my goal to 10,000 steps per day, and eventually found that easy to achieve. I've been able to maintan my weight for quite a while, but have pretty much become bored with walking. (I've always done mine on the treadmill in front of the TV). So, I guess it was a natural progression to develop an interest in running. I watched my neice complete her first 10K on Saturday and that got me fired up! Last year, we joined a 5K for charity that we walked and it was a lot of fun. We got a medal and everything!! This year, I plan to run that same event. Ironically, it is 9 weeks from this past Saturday - EXACTLY the length of the C25K program.

Like you, I hope to get to the point that I CRAVE this, like so many people do. Please do give it a try - if you woul like to contiue with it we can be C25K buddies!

Take Care!

Sharly

Sharly

• Completed C25K April 2012
    • 51 year old female, who spent most of my adult life obese - now 65 lbs. lighter and looking for new activities

• Will participate in any event that has a finisher's medal - I'm in it for the bling!
    • Currently following a weight training program, Jamie Eason's LiveFit through bodybuilding.com
    • Goal: Return to running in a few weeks stronger and better, then focus on increasing speed
    • Currently sidelined by health concern - no strenuous activity until speicalist visit June 14th
  • KD8FQM Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 24, 2011
    247. Feb 20, 2012 6:02 AM (in response to Lanawhit)

Hi Lana, welcome aboard. I was in your position just 2 months ago. I'm beginning week 7 of the program today. I can run (slowly) for 25 minutes continously and I've lost over 25 pounds along the way. It is a great program.  I see that Sharly has provided links for you, so I won't bother.

You will need some way to time the intervals. There are a multitude of watches, runner's GPS units, pedometers, etc. available. What works best for me is an mp3 player with one of the various podcasts that are available. It plays music and has voice prompts telling me when to run and when to walk.

I am the original couch potato, in my 67 years, I have endeavored never to break a sweat. As a result, I found myself 100 pounds overweight, easily out of breath, unable to put on my socks without a struggle. I quit buying shoes with laces because it was a chore to bend over to tie them. I'm still looking for the "enjoy running" part, but I believe it will come. Again, welcome aboard. Check back in after your first run, let us know how you did. There is a ton of help available for you. Just ask.

Bob

Mar 15, 2011
    248. Feb 20, 2012 1:35 PM (in response to KD8FQM)

Wow, Bob, what an encouraging and inspirational post! Congratulations on your great accomplishment! I will be sure to follow your progress through future posts! Thanks so much for posting about the podcasts - I wasn't aware of them, but I'm in the process of downloading them right now and look forward to my week one day two workout with the snazzy music and lilting Austrailian (?) accent of the narrator!

Thank you for sharing!

Sharly

Sharly

• 51 year old female, who spent most of my adult life obese - now 65 lbs. lighter and looking for new activities

• Will participate in any event that has a finisher's medal - I'm in it for the bling!
    • Currently following a weight training program, Jamie Eason's LiveFit through bodybuilding.com
    • Goal: Return to running in a few weeks stronger and better, then focus on increasing speed
    • Currently sidelined by health concern - no strenuous activity until speicalist visit June 14th
  • hegnessevents.com Pro 58 posts since
    Dec 9, 2011
    249. Feb 20, 2012 3:57 PM (in response to KD8FQM)

Good for you Bob, way cool! Best of luck to you Lana, feel free to post any questions you have, there are plenty of folks on board here that are happy to help you in your journey. The couch to 5k program offered here on Active is a GREAT way for you to get started. Keep us posted how you both progress in your running!

Home of the City Challenge Urban Race! http://hegnessevents.com/

Pasadena, CA March 3, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/pasadena-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-pasadena-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Huntington Beach, CA April 13, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/huntington-beach-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-huntington-beach-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Santa Barbara, CA May 4, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/santa-barbara-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-santa-barbara-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Big Bear Lake, CA June 22, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/big-bear-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-big-bear-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Hegness Events Twitter http://twitter.com/hegnessevents

Hegness Events Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hegnessevents

• clockersfancy Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 30, 2011
    250. Feb 20, 2012 4:40 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Hi guys, just checking in and actually looking for Kouri. I did a couple of weeks of long runs when I finished the program, and then re-did some of the C25K, and am now in the first week of the ease into 10K. It's basically running for three minutes, walk for one, repeat five times. To tell you the truth, each day I have continued on to run maybe eight or nine 3:1 intervals. Next week I think it's 4:1 but it seems slow going after C25K. I made the mistake of looking ahead to later in the program, so I think I will just enjoy where I am for now. I did add an 8 mile hike to my week on Mondays and that's been fun. I miss hearing from everyone and welcome to all the new C25K folks, you're going to love it! I am older too and never thought I would run, but it sure is fun. Best of luck to all.

Dec 24, 2011
    251. Feb 20, 2012 6:37 PM (in response to Sharly Q)

Sharly said: "I wasn't aware of them, but I'm in the process of downloading them right now and look forward to my week one day two workout with the snazzy music and lilting Austrailian (?) accent of the narrator!"

Sharly, I'm using the podcasts from UK's NHS. I tried to post a link, but was denied by the server for "objectionable content" whatever that means. The narrator on these is Laura St Quinton, with a British accent. There is a video showing her progress with C25K.

I thought everyone used the podcasts, I can't imagine remembering all the intervals, checking my watch, etc. Much too complicated for me.

Today was W7D1 for me, a 25 minute run with no walking breaks. 2 weeks ago, I was dreading the 20 minute run at the end of week 5. The program really does work, you need to have confidence in yourself, and in the program. Trust me, if I can do this, anyone can.

Bob

Mar 15, 2011
    252. Feb 21, 2012 7:45 AM (in response to KD8FQM)

That's the one I got, Bob I'm looking forward to W1D2 this afternoon using the podcast! I was referring to a print out and using a timer on my iPod. This will be so much better! I will check out the video, too!

I love hearing about your progress (you are almost to the end!) - it really does give me the inspiration to do this!!

Thank you again!

Sharly

Sharly

Dec 24, 2011
    253. Feb 21, 2012 8:12 AM (in response to Sharly Q)
    There is a Beginner's Forum on Runner's World, and a new thread each week for C25K people. I have received tons of inspiration from that group. I find myself now thinking about my time for a 5K. Or what comes after C25K. There are a couple of programs: Ease into 10K and Bridge to 10K. i find that I do better with some sort of a plan, a structured program. If left to my own devices, I'd probably just run down to the corner ice cream store. I really think this running stuff becomes infectious after a while. I'm not to the WETSU stage yet, but definately beyond "God, just kill me now, I hate this."

Bob
  • offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    254. Feb 21, 2012 8:12 AM (in response to flatwatertx)

@ Sharlyq:  You will love using the Podcast.  It's so nice not having to pay attention to a timer or clock  You will be running along and before you know it, 'the voice' will tell you it's time to walk.  I also used the NHS version.  The music isn't really my taste, but I like her voice. 

I ran outside for the first time since I started/finished this program.  Since I have been using the treadmill for this entire process, I was a bit leary about how it would go for me outside.  I must say that running outside feels a lot different than the treadmill runs. 

It was sunny and somewhere between 35 and 40 dgrees.  The streets that I live on are rather hilly, but even the flat parts, I felt like I was running in the sand.  Ugh.  I really have to try and get outside to run more often.  I went 'around the block' which is 4 miles and walked ang jogged.  I did it in 50 minutes which is only a few minutes faster than I did the same route at the end of last summer.  I felt a wee bit discouraged as I thought I'd be able to run more than walk.  Or maybe, I just jogged slower??  But I will keep my head up and keep on telling myself that it will only get better and better.  With a little more outdoor running, I will be ready for a 5K this spring.

Another item that I wanted to bring up:  I have days where I can run 30 minutes non-stop (on the treadmill) and feel great and a couple days later, I will struggle to run 15 minutes.  Is anyone else going through that too?  Good days and bad days?  (Not sure why I have 'bad' days....)

Glad to see everyone is still plugging along.  It makes me want to keep going too.  I thank you all.

Kris

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...