Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3419 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2011 5:22 AM by Joseph Tree RSS
RunGoddessBA Amateur 24 posts since
Dec 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 9, 2011 9:34 AM

Chi Running

Started to read about Chi Running this year and partially incorporated the principles of it in my last marathon, has anyone else tried Chi Running and what do you think?

RunGoddess developer of the finest temporary tattoos for runners and triathletes. Free shipping to Canada and the US on orders $13.00 or greater.

• DavidBlunt Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 28, 2011
    2. Dec 11, 2011 11:43 PM (in response to RunGoddessBA)
    Chi Running

Chi running combines the powerful movement principles from T'ai Chi with running, to create a revolutionary approach to run faster, farther and injury-free.

• Justanoldman Amateur 10 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    3. Dec 12, 2011 10:07 AM (in response to RunGoddessBA)
    Chi Running

I discovered chi running about a year ago...back then I had just about thought my running days were over due to pain just about everywhere from the knees down. I was never a real running fanatic....usually about 2-4 miles 3-4 days per week. But as I passed 50 yrs old, and started to suffer from arthritis etc., I just figured my running days were numbered. My doctor helped with some medication for the pain and I was able to increase my running, but I then fell to running injuries. When I read about chi running, I began to change my form and things have never been better. I now run 5 days per week and about 20-25 miles per week. Last Saturday I set an all time distance record of 10 miles. My weight has gone from about 218 to 194...although the weight loss seems to have come to a screetching halt for some reason.

Focus on keeping an erect spine with a full forward body lean.....do not push off with your feet, but rather just lift them, and keep a cadence of around 85-90 steps per minute. When I first started chi running, I was bending at the waist which is not good and I fell to calf injuries....you have to be sure the forward lean is from the ankles...once I got that down, my injuries have all but disappeared.

• arr22 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 4, 2010
    4. Dec 15, 2011 11:35 AM (in response to Justanoldman)
    Chi Running

I started using the Chi running technique several years ago, and I can't say enough about it.  It has been a godsend as far as allowing me to run greater distances more comfortably.  The lean actually helps!  I focus on my cadence and go from there.  I would and do recommend it to friends, new runners, and people wanting to get back to running all of the time!

• NickKline Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 17, 2011
    5. Dec 17, 2011 9:21 AM (in response to RunGoddessBA)
    Chi Running

I had the same experience as Justanoldman.  I couldnt run more than 3 miles without acute nervous and skelletal pain.  I had back surgery 9 years ago and assumed it was related to that. 

but i started running in minimalst shoes and found that you cant really run the same way.  My brother-in-law suggested Chi running.  I youtubed the videos and that totaly transformed my approach.  Eventualy we bought the book and CD but really the Youtube videos were sufficient to get the point. 

I dont run fast, but i can run pain free for a lot longer distence.  and when i start getting tired, i can usualy recover energy by going through a self examination of running form. 

whats my point?  yeah, Chi running - give it a try. 

but leave the new-age hippy dippy stuff on the side. 

nk

• 7rider Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011
    6. Dec 17, 2011 2:40 PM (in response to RunGoddessBA)
    Chi Running

I've tried it.  Or rather, I am currently trying it.

I bought the DVD recently and watched it a few times in my home.  Then, last week, I signed up for - and took - a nearby workshop to get some views and pointers and tips from someone who could watch me run.  I'm still working to incorporate the drills into my form.  I've done a few runs now since - it's a constant thing for me to be mindful of my running form, at least here in the beginning.  I wish I could say "don't overthink it and run," but for me that results in injury so I really need to focus and have this become more second nature.

I have some longer running goals this coming summer (20K in a duathlon, maybe a half marathon), so I really want to improve my form and avoid injury.  For me...it's my lower back that gets it when I run.

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    7. Dec 19, 2011 5:22 AM (in response to DavidBlunt)
    Chi Running

DB, Good for you for not giving up. 

I have heard that for some people the structured approach that Chi (and Pose Method) uses is just right, while for others it's a bit much.  I fall into the latter group.  I just went into running completely barefoot, which achieves a lot of the common goals of the other mentods, in that one learns to run very gently and to focus on how feet touch and how the body is held.  As mentioned by others, this style of running has saved me from running oblivion and I now run quite happily about as far as I care to go. You might try it or to integrate some of it into your workouts.

Oh, and I think you understand that JustanOldMan's recommendation of 85-90 steps/minute refers to "steps per foot per minute" not total.  I've also seen it written as 180 steps per minute cadence. Just to clarify...

Good luck and run well!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points