Skip navigation

1641 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2011 5:11 PM by ad32mh
ad32mh Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 9, 2011 4:35 PM

How can you guard an insane player when they are their team?

I'm heading into my playoff tournament and my team has already played this school and they have this player who is like LeBron or Kobe and can just dominate the game. Last game I was stuck guarding her and we got blown out, this kid is at least 3 inches taller than me. She's as big as a center and she handles the ball like our starting PG. I'm a PF and I'm horrible at playing perimeter D and I'm slower and got burned a ton of times by this kid. Please give me some tips!

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010

Well...it is a tough task anytime you play someone who is better than you...

There are a few things you can do:

Try to not let her get the ball.  Often times with good players, it is easier to not let them touch the ball than it is to guard them once they have it.  If you work on denying her the ball this is one good strategy.

If she blows by you frequently, maybe play off here a little bit and make her beat you with her jump shot.  If she makes a few in a row, then go back to playing a little closer, but often times a bad shooting day can be a bad day for a great player.

Be smart.  Don't try to block her shots...just put a hand in her face and make it tougher to shoot.  Box her out everytime so she doesn't get 2nd changes.  Take a charge if she lowers her shoulder.

If she guards you, make her work really really hard to get her tired (sprint everywhere, set screens, run the floor).  If you are in better shape than she is, maybe you can wear her down.

I have tons of great basketball info on my site: Basketball Training

Check it out...there is a lot of good info on stuff like guarding good players, quicker players, post players, etc...

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points