Skip navigation

3301 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2011 2:22 PM by majorhoopsbasketball
Kzai01 Amateur 30 posts since
Oct 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 11, 2011 7:56 PM

How do u play on a team with more than one point guard

Hey I've been wondering  how to play and not act selfish playing with other guards, me i'm a guard and love having the ball in my handsand create oppertunites for me and for others. When i play with other point guards i always seem to kinda fade back and not play as aggressive, how can i be productive without always having the ball in my hands, also i've been told i dribble to much how can i get to the basketball with a couple of moves?

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    1. Dec 12, 2011 5:59 AM (in response to Kzai01)

I think this identifies a little bit of a gap in your game.  As you go through grade school, high school, college, and beyond...you could always be put in a situation like this.  What you need to work on is things like moving with out the ball, setting screens, getting open, running the floor, and finding open spots to spot-up for a jumper. 

A few pointers:

When they say you are dribbling too much...work on surveying the floor before putting the ball on the floor.  Some of the best moves in basketball are non-dribble moves...jab-steps, etc... Here is a link that will help you with some of those non-dribble moves: Basketball Moves

As much as you like handling the ball and creating for your teammates...your teammates probably also like having the ball in their hands.  It isn't fun for other players if there is a guy that always has the ball and is pounding the dribble and running around....everyone likes to have the ball and create offense...keep this in mind

Work on your screening, cutting, as well as your spot up shooting

You need to be adaptable as a basketball player...if you can figure out a way to create for yourself and your teammates WITHOUT the ball in your hands, you are going to be a MUCH more valuable basketball player...and al your teammates will love playing with you.

Check out this link: Basketball Training

For tons more basketball info from The World of Hoops

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

• CoachLewis20 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 13, 2011

I think it is more on your coach to recognize what both guards does best, and implement it into his offense. I run a 3 guard line-up and it just so happens that all 3 of my starting guards are more of a point guard than a 2guard.

1st off the coach has to be able to sell himself to his players to earn their trust. If a player doesnt trust that the cach will do whats best for him, their is no way he will accept taking more of an off-guard role when he feels he is a true point guard. Especially when their are a lot of people in his ear saying he is to small to play the 2guard in college so he shouldnt accept playing it in high school.

I make this work offensively by putting each player in position to do what they are best at. 1 player is the best floor general so he is the point guard on the floor. He gets us into our offense and takes control of the game's tempo. He has a great shot off the dribble so he thrives in my pick and roll offense. The second guard is great in the open floor. So he comes back for the ball on all missed shots and starts the fast break which is where he is best. The original point guard gets out on the wing during fast break opportunities in order to take advantage of his deadly 3-point shooting. The 3rd guard is more of a pure scoring guard a la Allen Iverson, so I try to get him the ball in great positions to score to keep him happy while not being on the ball as much as he would like. You also have to see that there will be a small forward trying to hold a point guard, which should work in the point guards favor more often than not.

But in order for this to work, that 3rd guard has to be a pest on defense. He has to be able to give bigger opponents fits on defense by being very physical with the bigger player.

I talked more about the coaching aspects than you personnally becuase I truly feel th coach has to make you comfortable with playing with another point guard.

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    4. Dec 15, 2011 2:35 PM (in response to Kzai01)

No problem, keep working hard!  Never let someone else determine your fate.  Own it...Adapt...Work Hard

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

• majorhoopsbasketball Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 18, 2010

Great question. I think this shows you are not a selfish player and trying to do what is best for your team and yourself. By seeking out advice on this topic you are already on your way to reaching your goal. ONe of the best ways to keep yourself active as a guard is to remember there are more things than just shooting and passing. Being a PG is not all just dribble penetration and kicking it out to the open man, nor is just breaking your man down and dropping a sweet no look pass or as my son says a "dime" to the big for a dunk. The most over looked skill in guard play is the ability to set screens and gets players open. I have coached for 15 years at the high school or college level. I have always stressed to our teams that our PG must be out best screener. As a PG you have to be selfless. You ahve to be able to play without the ball in your hand. A big problem with this is most coaches put the ball in the hands of the best ball handler and let him run loose. When playing with other guards see how many people you can get open by setting a screen. Usually as everyone knows the screener is always the most wide open player. So what will happen is you will be creating an opportunity for your teammates as well as yourself. But you must commit to getting them open first or else no one will be open. I hope this helps. Keep asking questions and working hard. I really respect you for seekign advice on this topic! Way to go!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points