Skip navigation

1053 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2013 3:08 PM by KAytch RSS
Rivera2014 Rookie 6 posts since
Nov 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 15, 2011 4:14 PM

help changing positions

back in middle school i was about 6' and they put me at center, now im in high school and theres players taller than me even thou i grew 2 inches more. how can i work on being more of a guard or foward.

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    1. Dec 16, 2011 1:04 PM (in response to Rivera2014)
    help changing positions

To start, you could focus on ball handling. You can always become a better ball handler. Also, develop a good jump shot and also have the ability to drive in the lane. Hope this helps!

• majorhoopsbasketball Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 18, 2010
    2. Dec 16, 2011 2:03 PM (in response to Rivera2014)
    help changing positions

Great question! This happens to so many players in fact I too was in a similar position many years ago. I played center from 5th-8th grade but never grew. You need to work on it every day for at least 20-30 minutes. Get a routine ASAP.

My coach AAU coach made me focus on two things....Dribbling, and passing. He said these two skills link all the rest together. He also let me know shooting from the perimiter would take some time and patience since most of my shots previously were closer to the hoop therefore the timing and rythym of my shot would completely change. Shooting off the dribble requires an entirely diff footwork than in the paint. We worked on several ball handling drills, not moves to score but overall general moves to become more confident and show control with the ball. As he explained and as I explain to my players today moves to score are very diff from moves to get to an open area or to break a press, or to get the ball to a hot player. Use the drills you see on the ihoops section for players and drills. These offer great drills. Don't overwhelm yourself with too many drills 6-8 drills is plenty. Today I use both stationary drills as well as drills while we walk to warm up for ball handling. We start this way to focus on keeping your hand on top side of the ball to avoid a carry or turnover. We then build up to full court moves at half then full speed. Two coaches to look up on both youtube and the internet for ball hanlding and guard play are Forrest Larson-100 trips full court workout, and my favorite coach Ed Schilling Head coach at Wright State. Good luck to you and remember its not the drill that makes you better its how you do the drill that will help you improve!

• KAytch Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 4, 2013
    3. Aug 4, 2013 3:08 PM (in response to Rivera2014)
    help changing positions

practice your handles and then practice a jump shot farther out so you would be ready to play but first ask the other team pg's to show you some pointers

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points