Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2772 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2013 8:36 AM by Greenbelt9 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
HenvY Rookie 18 posts since
May 31, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 31, 2007 6:11 PM

Shin Splints & C25K

I'm doing the Couch-to-5k program and i'm at the end of my second week - however, i've already developed pretty bad shin splints...by the end of my run I will be in agony and will have slowed down immensely because of them. Anyway, because of this and because I live in an area of central london where I would have to travel for over half an hour to reach an area of soft ground, I want to switch to cycling until my shins are better. How much cycling would be equivalent to the running i'm doing and will be doing on weeks 2 and 3 of the C25K? I've already cut out the other high impact stuff I was doing to try and make them heal, like skipping, jumping jacks and the jumping part of burpees AND i've been leaving the maximum gap possible between runs but i'm still having the problem. Does anyone know?

Cheers
Henry

• muzicgrl Amateur 219 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 31, 2007 6:58 PM (in response to HenvY)
    Re: Shin Splints & C25K

While cycling is good crosstraining, it will not be able to replace running. In order to improve your running, you actually have to run. You are not going to progress in the C25K without actually running. There is no equivalent between cycling and running because they use different muscles and running is a much higher impact sport. That being said, you may be able to help solve your shin splint issues. Have you been fitted for shoes at a proper running store where they analyze your gait? If not...the first thing you need to do is go get fitted for shoes. You may be pronating or supinating and not know it, thus causing your shin splints.

Dec 14, 2007
    4. May 31, 2007 7:05 PM (in response to HenvY)

quote:

Originally posted by HenvY:

Nope, I wear gel-kayano 12's but I'm assuming that would cost money I don't have.

Although those are excellent shoes (for moderate pronators)...they might not be the right ones for you. Would you rather spend some money on shoes or end up injured? Shin splints can lead to stress fractures if you continue to run with them. The 1st rule of running is to buy good shoes. Would you go out and try to play another sport without the proper equipment?

There are also shin splint exercises that you can do along with icing. You can do toe taps whenever you are sitting. They are exactly what they sound like. You just leave your heel on the floor and tap each foot until you feel a burn on the fronts of your legs (~50 times). Over time this can help alleviate shin splints.

Dec 14, 2007
    6. May 31, 2007 7:13 PM (in response to HenvY)

well if you really cannot come up with the money...the service is generally free (I have never seen anyone charge for it). Generally you should buy your shoes there after they spend all that time working with you, but you don't have to. You can take their suggestions and look online for the same shoes cheaper. It is very rude to do that and it isnt encouraged if you want stores to still be around next time you need the service, but you can do it.

• RunZRun Rookie 54 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 22, 2007 10:47 AM (in response to HenvY)

quote:

trying that now, it was about 5 taps before the burn, lol.

How much would it cost to get assesed in a running store? I used an online anyliser based on my foot type etc

Where I go, it cost me the MRP of the shoe. $95 for Mizuno Wave Riders. After the first time, I get them online. Last pair I got was for $36 !

Before I got fitted for my shoes, I got lots of shin splints and this exercise worked.

Sitting on a chair, raise ur feet up straight to hip level. Then flex ur feet in towards ur knees, trying to touch ur toes to ur knees, then flex them out, trying to touch ur toes into the object in front of u.

Googling "shin splint exercises" will give u lots of results like this
    http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/1079-shin-splints.htm[/URL" target="_blank">

and ofcourse ice ice ice

[http://This message has been edited by zeba (edited May-31-2007).|http://This message has been edited by zeba (edited May-31-2007).]

• firefly094 Rookie 9 posts since
    May 27, 2007
    8. Jun 1, 2007 3:13 AM (in response to HenvY)

Since you're a Londoner, I've always found The Sweat Shop very good.  They have a treadmill too.  The one I go to is in Twickenham, but there may be a branch in Central London.
    Good Luck

• runawayjesse Rookie 538 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Jun 3, 2007 1:34 PM (in response to HenvY)

quote:

Nope, I wear gel-kayano 12's but I'm assuming that would cost money I don't have.

Bingo!! Get yourself into a simple shoe without all that unneeded cushion and see it that helps.

How much do you weigh?

• willbevan Rookie 51 posts since
    Dec 7, 2006
    10. Jun 3, 2007 1:41 PM (in response to HenvY)

I was getting bad shin splits, knee pain (still get a bit but a lot less) till i went to a local running and store and got fitted.

Cost me about 15 pounds on top what i could find them online, but its the service, and i am a happy man.

I was in London on Wednesday at the Shell Centre next to Waterloo station rather randomly, and up there again week monday near padington this time lol

Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jun 3, 2007 1:54 PM (in response to HenvY)

I guess I should elorborate. I had really bad shin splints before. The running shoe store and nemurous doctors all agreed that I need all this supprot and stuff. I spent $1000's on shoes, orthotics etc.. I had my gait analyzed by the best of the best.

Finally some runner guy who runs a sports message busniess out of his basement watched me run. He opened many doors for me. Excess cushion in your shoes can destablize your feet. Picture walking on air mattress. Also, all that cushion can cloud your normal footfall causing your feet to slam the ground. Try running barefoot and see how hard your feet hit the ground.

I can not say weather or not this will solve your problem but in my case it did. I spent a long time nursing injury after injury. My shin splints were just something I learned to live with. I iced and iced after every run. They just didn't go away. It only took 1 month of running in a shoe with little cushion and support and all my pains vanished(knock on wood). With shoe technology being convincing as it is I must say I was skeptical to put something so minimal on my feet. It was my last attempt before I just quite running.

Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jun 3, 2007 7:57 PM (in response to HenvY)

quote:

196, I'm running to lose weight. Does that make it worse or better for the cushioning?

At 196 some cushioning will be alright. The problem I had was and I was running in Kayano's is that their wasn't enough weight to compress the cushioning thus making my feet unstable on landing. This caused many injurys for me with shin splints being the biggest headache. I'm 120 lbs though.

Don't get me wrong thpugh. I only mentioned ONE thing shin splints can be caused from. A lot of times it can simply mean too much too soon, Faulty running mechanics, or just bad shoes. Perhaps those shoes are not right for you.

If I were you I would take a trip to the shoe store like others have mentioned. Have someone look at your running gait to see if you overstride. Overstriding can cause shin splints. Also stretch and strengthen your calfs and shin muscles. It can be a simple muscle imbalance. Aim to find the cause that will be the only way to rid them.

as for running. I ran with terrible shin splints. If I didn't I wouldn't have been running at all for I just lived with them. It took me some time to find the cause so in the mean time I just accepted them and treated them. After every run(right after)I would take an ace bandage and strap ice bags directly to my shins. I would leave them their till I went beyond numb. I would take ice cubes and run them up and down the inside of my shin bone with pressure a few times per day. When I ran I wrapped them tightly in ace banadges in a way that it would press the muscle against the bone(this worked well).

FWIW- I had them pretty bad. My symptoms were more that of a stress fracture(pinpoint pain, hurt to tap the bone etc..) MRI's kept coming up shin splints. Even doctors determine it wasn't impact causing the injury because it was all muscle damage. It was even so bad I felt it when I walked. I didn't miss many miles over it. It went on for over a year.

So in short my advice is to find the cause. Cut back on running and if it goes away you were just doing too much. That or bad shoes are the most common reasons for splints. I just wanted to throw out their that in some cases(such as mine)too much shoe can actually be the cause. Don't make the mistake I did and buy right into all that jargon shoe/orthotic hype because thats where this is about to go(come back and tell me if I'm right).

Good Luck

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jun 4, 2007 12:17 PM (in response to HenvY)

The exercise to help me rid myself of shin splints for good was the "Karate Kid" one legged stand exercise. Literally, like in the movie, stand on one foot and balance yourself as long as possible. Over the course of a few weeks, it strengthened my ankles, foot and possibly the shins(?). I haven't had shin splints since even though I am 50 pounds heavier than you and had a history of shin splints. It is worth a try.

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...