Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5749 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2006 7:05 AM by yo-sal 1 2 Previous Next
mlines109 Amateur 42 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2006 5:17 PM

hmm why?

Ok, so I am very good about hydrating, but this is what happened. I mostly run in the mornings before school and durring the day i drink up to 5 poland spring bottles of water, and one mixed with gatorade. But on saturday I went for my normal 2-3 mile run in the morning darnk and ate then went to work i was about 12 i got my normal post-run stomach ache, but then i got really dizzy and passed out before i got to the bathroom. Was taken away to the hospital, they did tests and i was there for 2hours, and they told me i was just dehydrated. But how can that be when i drink so much in a day? Now i'm kind of scared to go on run over 3 miles. anyone have any advice??

• mlb1153 Amateur 45 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 8, 2006 12:36 PM (in response to mlines109)
    Re: hmm why?

Dear mlines109, The reason for what happened to you is due to free radicals that are formed during an event. The body needs to get rid of these free radicals, and the only way it can do it is with an electolyte hydrating drink that contains large doses of antioxidants. If your hydration product does not contain any antioxidants (which most do not) then what happens is that your digestive system shuts down and you get the stomach cramping after and sloshing of fluid during your runs. A product that I like is called LowOz. Refer to hydration posts regarding this product. Also, you can read more information about it on this website www.xxtrafitness.com

Don't stop running but instead use something that will actually hydrate you and this will not happen again!

Try LowOz, it's guaranteed for 60-days money back.

Use #11564702 to order on website.

Ann

Personal Health Coach

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jun 8, 2006 5:23 PM (in response to mlines109)

Sounds all well and good. But how come this does not happen to everybody else? A "normal" post run stomachache? Never. Not normal. Your training program is not all that rigorous. You don't say if you eat anything in the morning. I would talk to a doctor. I usually have a Yogurt (no brand names, I am not selling anything)prior to putting in 5-6 miles and drink about equal or less than you do. I realize everyone is different, but this is not right.

• irungrl Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007
    4. Jun 13, 2006 12:41 PM (in response to mlines109)

i totally agree with beerpace. a post run belly ache after a few miles? you may need to get medical attention re. your symptoms because i have never heard of that type of chronic discomfort after a run. what are you eating? i usually eat a wheat toast with peanut butter after my morning 5-6 mile run & i sometimes may have the feeling of hunger but never an ache. happy running.

• madcracker22 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jun 13, 2006 6:55 PM (in response to mlines109)

I'm in agreements with them as well.  The one thing that you don't mention that does effect me is what I eat the night before a very difficult workout.  With that being said, whats a "hard" workout for me might be a cake walk for others.  Either way, I need to eat certain foods 1-2 hours before (for optimal performance) along with certain foods the night before.  Maybe, just maybe, this is something to consider. 

One other thing with dehydration, once you start to feel the first symptoms of it you're already way into it.  Prevention is sooooo important, I live a quarter mile from the sun here in south florida and it's a daily part of life for any athlete (or gardner, roofer, mechanic, linesman, surveyer, you get the idea) in this area.

• pgmanski Amateur 35 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jun 20, 2006 8:27 PM (in response to mlines109)

get to a doctor immediately you are in trouble! Please get a checkup before it's too late! Tomorrow may be your LAST run. Get help now.

• standert Amateur 25 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Aug 26, 2006 1:58 PM (in response to mlines109)

WRT your Dr not doing anything about it... get a new doc.  Talk to running friends or call your ins company and find a new doc that either runs or has patients that are runners.

a 2-3 mile run is (for most runners anyway) not a big deal and I have had an occasional upset stomach after a run, it is usually a 10+ mile run (in AZ heat/90+ deg) or a 5 mi run at a race pace (85%-90% max heart rate).  Note that I have never puked as a result of a running-upset stomach, I eat some pretzels, sports drink, cold water and sit down for a little bit and then the hunger hits and I eat a bagel, a burger, or a pizza.

Find a doc that understands what running does to a body and is willing to try and help you figure out what is causing your illness after running.

Good luck

Ok, so I am very good about hydrating, but this is

what happened. I mostly run in the mornings before

school and during the day i drink up to 5 poland

spring bottles of water, and one mixed with gatorade.

But on Saturday I went for my normal 2-3 mile run in

the morning drank and ate then went to work i was

about 12 i got my normal post-run stomach ache, but

then i got really dizzy and passed out before i got

to the bathroom. Was taken away to the hospital, they

did tests and i was there for 2hours, and they told

me i was just dehydrated. But how can that be when i

drink so much in a day? Now i'm kind of scared to go

on run over 3 miles. anyone have any advice??

• Jocelyn Rose Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Oct 17, 2006 10:03 AM (in response to mlines109)

I am an EMT at Grand Canyon.  I also am very active as well.  I have seen alot a cases of hyponatremia.  Have you heard of it?  It's when you over water your body causing electrolytes to dip down into a very deadly stage.  Although you maybe feel like you are hydrated this can actually cause dehydration by flooding your body. Therefore causing precious minerals in the body to be so over watered they are not used properly.  It also causes stomache cramps, nausea, vomiting and altered mental status or death!  In order to stop this deadly event you MUST eat!! Gatorade is good but it's not the fuel your body needs for a workout.  Eating an hour or so before a hard workout is key. They now make great electrolyte products such as Clif shots and bloks.  And although most of us don't eat salt, we need it to keep our body functioning properly. A handful of salty nuts is a good source plus the good fat! More energy for that run.  A good way to tell if your drinking to much water is bloating and loss of energy.  You may feel thirsty enough to down a bunch of water but sipping on electrolyte drinks would be much beter. Also gaining a few pounds is a good indicator, especailly if your not eating much.  Good luck and stay healthy!!

• Bcoleman01 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Oct 26, 2006 4:16 PM (in response to mlines109)

I have experienced very similar symptoms as you have described, however, I have never been taken to the hospital. I have been on runs where I get a severe cramping, and it feels like I am going to get sick (throwing up or otherwise). In addition, I can get extremely dizzy, where I have a difficult time walking straight. At times, I have had to sit down immediately, and lower my head. If I have the luxury of being near home, I immediately lie down, and it takes every ounce of energy to stay awake. Basically, I feel like my body instantly gets exhausted, and I get very neaseaus. Most people look at me like I am crazy when I explain it to them, but it happens. It primarily occurs after short runs (3 mi- and times shorter). Usually it is in the morning, but not always. I have not been able to find a pattern of what is affecting it (hydration/ food/ tiredness/ etc). I will take into consideration these suggestions, and others would be appreciated!

• loriRD Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Nov 19, 2006 4:16 PM (in response to mlines109)

I have to say that I completely disagree with the fainting episode being related to antioxidant depletion.  There is simply no biochemical or scientific rationale for such a claim. 

I don't know you but these are the questions that I would ask:

How long was the run and how did you hydrate during it?

How long did you go without eating after breakfast and the fainting episode?

Did your labwork show dehydration?  You will need to know your blood electrolyte levels and the serum osmalality to diagnose dehydration.

What were your blood glucose levels after the episode?

Are you undereating in general as some fainting episodes can be related to too little food in general.

You should have cardiac testing because a heart related problem MUST be ruled out.  That is the most important thing.

I hope this helps...

Lori Stevens, RD, LDN

• lauragood Rookie 15 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Nov 28, 2006 10:02 AM (in response to mlines109)

It sounds like you had a hypoglycemic episode.  What was your glucose level at the hospital?  It was probably normal by then because you liver kicked in and started putting glucose into the blood stream. 

About the stomach aches....it is common for runners to have more stomach issues than a nonrunner. Unless you are having other symptoms(nausea, vomiting, fever/chills, wt loss, diarrhea, presence of blood, severe pain....) and they are getting worse, I would not overly worry about it.  If you are primarily a mouth breather, you may just be swallowing a lot of air while you run.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...