Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1540 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2011 8:37 PM by Jimbles RSS
Jimbles Rookie 5 posts since
Dec 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 28, 2011 7:39 PM

Starting to run... in winter

Hi all-

I got my shoes, I'm researching running apps and reading forums, and now I wonder: should I start in a gym on a treadmill or outside in the cold? I live in south central Wisconsin. There's no snow on the ground yet but that will change. It's still cold, though - under 35 degrees (F) every day if not colder.

Any thoughts or advice about starting to run in the winter?

• VeganBeauty Amateur 25 posts since
    Oct 12, 2011
    1. Dec 29, 2011 6:50 AM (in response to Jimbles)

I live in Ohio. It's a few degrees warmer here than Wisconsin, but kinda similar with less snow and shorter Winter it seems to me.

Layers...here's a good video someone sent me awhile ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms&feature=fvsr

Good luck.

Started Couch to 5K (C25K) on 8/1/2011

Started C25K again around 10/5/11...stopped at week 6.

New Start Date - January 2, 2012

• erik-k Expert 36 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    3. Dec 29, 2011 9:37 AM (in response to VeganBeauty)

Good, and definitely layering a number of levels of wicking materials is the way to go. Agreed that the versions at the running stores are often overpriced for most of us when you can get something roughly equivalent at Target for 1/3 the price. I've used stretch gloves I picked up for a buck at the grocery store and been surprisingly happy with them down to about 20.

Repeat of the very old "you lose most of your heat through your head" myth is a little bothersome there at the end. Simply not true. And a hat made of some technical fabric is very nice at least above zero, a knit hat that gets soggy with sweat on your head isn't fun. You can get a nice running beanie that keeps your ears warm and doesn't leave you drenched in sweat for less than $20.

My only concern is that this, and most of the similar articles on active.com assumes that you're moving pretty fast. The normal advice is to dress for the second mile, not the first, because after you get going your body heat will keep you warm during heavy exersion. I've found this to work pretty well, and I was totally comfortable yesterday running at 40 with just running tights, shorts, a pair of long-sleeved tech shirts layered, gloves and a hat. But if you're just starting out and say you're doing the couch to 5K, it's a mix of medium jogging and walking. You probably need to dress a little warmer if you're walking half the time because you won't have as much body heat being generated.

Get some poly tights, and a fairly snug long-sleeved shirt of some similar wicking material, non-cotton running pants, add another long-sleeved layer or two on top, hat and gloves, and if you're out near or after dark be sure to wear something bright and reflective, probably a running jacket and maybe some clip-on LED lights. Wait inside after getting ready until you're almost too warm, and then go outside and go fairly hard. If you're a little chilly for the first ten minutes that's not unusual but if you're cold after that add another layer next time.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,337 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Dec 29, 2011 10:44 AM (in response to erik-k)
    Re: Starting to run... in winter

Good video.  Though I think he's wearing one more layer than I would, particularly on the legs.  Which is just a reminder that it still varies with the individual.  BTW, the research for the 'old "you lose most of your heat through your head" myth' (yes, it's based on research) has you dressed for the weather, other than headgear.  It's basically a reminder that wearing a hat in cold weather counts.  As the backpackers say "If your feet are cold, put on your hat."  And full head cover, like a hood, is very much warmer than just a hat.

Len

Len

• erik-k Expert 36 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    5. Dec 29, 2011 11:42 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

<body><p>Wearing something on your head is important, definitely.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>

But you   don't  lose  most of your heat  from your head in case anybody thinks that story is real.

Just a myth, the head is only 10% of your body's surface area and would have to radiate 4 times the heat for it to be true. The original study found that an uncovered head radiated about 40% of the body's total heat loss, but it doesn't suggest that there's anything special about the head.  If you covered your head and didn't wear any pants, you'd lose most of your heat there instead. </p>

<p>

Wear a hat, but for the right reasons. Keeping your hands and head feeling warm goes a long way to making the rest of you feel warm, even if some of it purely psychological.

</p></body>

• Irun100s Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 29, 2011
    6. Dec 29, 2011 11:48 AM (in response to erik-k)

Don't forget to keep your feet warm.  I find that if I can keep my core warm and my feet, I am good to go.  Winter/cold weather is not an excuse not to be running.  I live in Colorado and it sure does get cold.  Here is an article I found ????Cold Weather Running

Irun100s

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...