Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2333 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2012 6:21 PM by TammyDreher RSS
run4jaci Amateur 10 posts since
Jan 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2011 10:37 AM

BEST Treadmill for Home In Your Opinion?

What do you think the best treadmill for the home is?  If money was NOT an issue!

Also, What treadmill do you have in your home?  What kind of issues/maintenance has it needed? How long have you had it?  What would and wouldn't you recommend?  THANKS!

• bill kern Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    1. Dec 29, 2011 10:48 AM (in response to run4jaci)

Check runnersworld website. I'm buying one and there is a lot of good info and everyone seems to be honest.

I only have $2000 so I'm looking at either the Lifespan 4000/5000 or the LifeFitness T3 or F3.

• bill kern Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    3. Dec 29, 2011 12:06 PM (in response to run4jaci)

I live in Minnesota so I understand. I have been in clubs for a number of years and my Insurance no longer kicks in for the membership, therefore it's Treadmill time.

There are so many options.

I called a number of makers and found the Lifespan seems to be very customer oriented(sp). The local dealer will do the Service and they will kick in an additional 1 year onsite repair so I will have 2 years of full services. Lifefitness has a lot of Health clubs so they have a large number of service techs in any major metro area, however, I'm not sure where my One-Little-Treadmill will fit into their priorities. In talking to them, I didn't feel like I was very important. they also only have 1-year Labor.

Note - If you are like me and do a lot of research, be careful with some of the "Review Sites" like The Treadmill Doctor. They get their money from sponsors so the belief is that they are biased towards their sponsors.

I'm heading out this weekend to HOPEFULLY make a final decision and actually buy one.

Wich me Luck.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Dec 29, 2011 4:19 PM (in response to run4jaci)

Hi Run4,

Have you considered an elliptical as opposed to a regular treadmill?  I use a Precor EFX.  There are many different models available, but they provide a great workout, with better preparation for running in my humble opinion. 

Wishing you great success in finding the best equipment. 

• H Hersey Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    5. Dec 29, 2011 5:12 PM (in response to run4jaci)
    Re: BEST Treadmill for Home In Your Opinion?

Hi Run4.  I've run on treadmills extensively while travelling, at home, and at the gym and feel that Life Fitness is the gold standard.  I've got a HR 9700 in my house that I bought on eBay from a hotel in CA for $1500.  It's a nice heavy commercial unit, 4 HP motor, inclines to 15 degrees and actually does a negative incline for downhill training) and goes up to 12 mph (way too fast for me!)  When it arrived, I contacted LifeFitness and brought their factory tech in to tune it, and I've been using it for years.  It sees lots of miles and runs smoother than any other treadmill I've ever run on.  I like the commercial grade units vs. the consumer lighter models designed for home use.  My fitness center also has Matrix tmills which are nice as well, but the LifeFitness has a spring loaded deck that provides a somewhat softer run.  Good luck with your tmill search!  Contracy to prevailing oppinion, I find them a great way to train, especially in northern areas with long winters like New England!

• jeljohns Pro 106 posts since
    Jan 4, 2011
    6. Jan 10, 2012 1:40 PM (in response to run4jaci)

I bought a Lifespan treadmill six months ago. I can't recall the model number, but it was $1,000.  It works GREAT!  I love it. I bought it just for me, because my husband said he hated treadmills, but then he started liking it as well. So with two of us using it for six months no wear and tear yet. My only gripe is that it does not show pace. I have to calculate that in my head based on the MPH. I consider it the best investment ever!  I live in Iowa so our winters are COLD and our summers are HOT, I'll be able to use it year round.

• TammyDreher Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 8, 2010
    7. Jan 10, 2012 6:21 PM (in response to run4jaci)

I've had my TRUE for over 10 years. It's ultra quiet,super accurate and has never given me  a lick of trouble.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...