Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

58370 Views 825 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2008 7:49 PM by Texas_Runner84 Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 56 Previous Next
  • Cora5K Rookie 324 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Nov 17, 2005 1:41 PM (in response to GreenMan093)
    Re: DFW runners! New thread

Hey distance...congrats on your first place at the Squirrel Run.  I see those hills really slowed you down!  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|border=0!

I think you need to come do the Buzz Run this weekend and show these Johnson County boys what running really is...and you know, Paul and "Fathappy," the Buzz Run Quarterthon would be a great tune up for your half...

----

Cora[/URL" target="_blank">

• Serious Runner Rookie 56 posts since
    Feb 15, 2001
    181. Nov 17, 2005 5:05 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

I'm out on Cleburne this weekend. A new a/c condenser kind of took care of any "play" money. I will be at the Park Glen Turkey Trot as I've sent my entry on that.

I'll be slow. Hopefully, it create an incentive to get going with my training. Pulling myself out of bed at 5 a.m. is not much fun, and it's going to get worse as it get colder.

• Ray Andrews Rookie 226 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    182. Nov 19, 2005 8:37 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Hey, Cora!  How did the Buzz Run go?  It was a good day for running in FW/

Nov 24, 2007
    183. Nov 19, 2005 10:13 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Well...I hadn't made the final decision until this morning as to whether I would just do the 5K or the "Challange" (both races).  I opted for just the 5K...still do not have enough mileage under my belt to do a good, quality 10K or further... this one would have been slightly further.

About a mile into the 5K, I knew I had made the right decision. Wasn't feeling too terribly strong. I just started back to doing speed work (after almost two years of not doing any) and was kind of feeling it in my legs. This year, a high school cross country runner named Katie Shaw was there. She placed 10th at state. She was even with me at the start, but she moved ahead quickly. She stayed about 20 seconds ahead of me the entire race. She had beautiful form, and stayed strong the entire time. Another one of those brilliant runners who have mastered the fine art of negative splits...she got even stronger toward the finish, and ended up coming in 30 seconds ahead of me. Trying to keep up with her helped my time a little...at least it was a little faster than last year.

There were actually a LOT of fast runners there...or at least in the male division. The 17-18 year old (or 18-19?) men's age group all finished sub 19. Clint Bell won the 5K and the Quarterthon. I had forgotten how hilly this course was. Not steep hills, but seemed like the whole first half was an uphill climb. My goal was to come in sub 20, and I managed that (just barely) so I can't complain.

I had to laugh on my way home though...I had to stop at the bank in Cleburne, and as I'm pulling out, right there on the main drag in Cleburne, there's a CHICKEN running around in traffic....only in Cleburne....

• pesiv Rookie 246 posts since
    Nov 24, 2002
    184. Nov 20, 2005 8:51 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

That sounds like a great race Cora, good job!  Clint is a great runner he trains and runs well.  I was a bit ill all day Saturday.  I got in a run this evening though.  This chilly weather is great for any type of run.  I mailed off my registration for the WR half and i'm headed to Luke's to register for the trot tomorrow.  Keep up the great running distance, cora, and everyone else. 
    Watch out for those chickens y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----

"all of this pain is an illusion" maynard james keenan
    pesiv[/URL" target="_blank">

log[/URL" target="_blank">

• distancerun101 Amateur 46 posts since
    Mar 3, 2005
    185. Nov 21, 2005 10:06 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Cora, great job on your race this weekend!
    We went to San Antonio to compete in the Regional meet and now we are on to nationals in December. Rhode Island of all places....burrrrr. Our whole team qualified so it should be a lot of fun.

Anyone running the Ft. Worth Jingle Bell this weekend?

Nov 24, 2007
    186. Nov 21, 2005 11:44 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Yes, I'll be there.  Hope it doesn't rain...I think they're calling for it Saturday night, into Sunday.

• Pink Penguin Rookie 10 posts since
    Oct 18, 2005
    187. Nov 22, 2005 6:03 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Another Turkey Trotter here.  Can't wait, it's looking to be a nice day, but I wish it was just a bit cooler.  I'm new to running (only 7 weeks), so I'm just in for the 5K....it'll be my first Turkey Trot.  I have to run the whole thing, no walking.  I made a bet with my hubby that I can run the whole thing non-stop.....I have a facial and a pedicure riding on my success!!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

----

No worries.

• renalrd051 Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 28, 2005
    188. Nov 22, 2005 6:12 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

pink penguin:  are you doing the fort worth turkey trot?  I am going to try and do the 10K; I have come down with a bad cold but really want to be there!  The 5K is great, great fun, as I hope the 10K will be.  My half marathon is set for Dec 11, so I wanted to get this race in to "stretch my legs" (I'm a pretty new runner too and am quite nervous). 

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dianne

Oct 18, 2005
    189. Nov 22, 2005 10:07 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by renalrd:

pink penguin: are you doing the fort worth turkey trot? I am going to try and do the 10K; I have come down with a bad cold but really want to be there! The 5K is great, great fun, as I hope the 10K will be. My half marathon is set for Dec 11, so I wanted to get this race in to "stretch my legs" (I'm a pretty new runner too and am quite nervous).

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dianne

Dianne- I'll be running the Dallas Turkey Trot. From what my running buddies are telling me, I'm now wishing I was doing the Ft. Worth one! I'm hearing it's alot smaller and runs through some really nice neighborhoods where folks are just hanging out on their porch drinking their morning coffee and cheering you on. Sounds nice.

Is this your first 10K? Best of luck....especially with a cold!  I'm guessing you're running the Rock on the 11th?  I'm not quite up for running that distance yet....I'll be out there cheering for everyone, though!!  I can imagine you are nervous....hang in there!  My coach keeps telling me it's 90% mental, just keep on moving if it doesn't hurt!

Sep 28, 2005
    190. Nov 23, 2005 10:05 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Pinkpenguin:

Hey there!

Yes, I WAS going to run the Fort Worth Turkey Trot; I'm not going to be able to. The cold went to my chest so I really can't and I can't risk not doing the White Rock Half. I have to say I'm feeling much better tonight, but I'm going to skip the Trot. I plan to restart training on Sunday (I'll miss a week) with 6 miles; my last "distance" will be Friday Dec 2 (10 miles).

Do you ever run in Fort Worth? The Trinity Trails are great and easy on the joints; have fun at the Dallas Turkey Trot tomorrow; it should be lots of fun and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dianne

Oct 18, 2005
    191. Nov 26, 2005 12:48 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Hey Dianne,

You probably made the right decision...first and foremost, listen to your body and don't push it too hard. I read in my Runner's World magazine recently that 'ya shouldn't run with a cold, that you should rest, recover, then re-train. And your half is right around the corner.

I never really make it to Ft. Worth, it's about an hour drive from home. Heck, if we even go out there to catch some concerts, we usually just stay at a hotel for the night!! I'm such a creature of convenience...

The Turkey Trot was awesome, and I made my goal of running the whole thing, so I'm a happy penguin today !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Take care of yourself and recover! I'm off to run off that pecan pie I ate yesterday....

Keep on keeping on.

Oct 18, 2005
    192. Nov 26, 2005 8:05 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Anyone running the Life Time Fitness 5K Saturday, Dec 3?

Sep 28, 2005
    193. Nov 29, 2005 10:04 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Hi

Pink penguin: Congrats on the great Turkey Trot. Wish I could have done it! I'm back at training. My last long "run" will be Friday; 12 miles, then I taper for the half on Dec 11.

I have to say I'm glad it finally cooled down; so much more pleasant to run; wish the wind would calm down (but we can't have everything!).

Nov 24, 2007
    194. Dec 2, 2005 4:00 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Anyone doing the Arlington Winter Run tomorrow?

Distance...I finally got to see you at the Jingle Bell Run, but it was when you were getting your award, and I was far enough away that I couldn't really see you.  So, if I see you again, I won't recognize you.  I told my kids and my husband before the race that you'd be coming in around 17:00 though, and sure enough.  I was behind another of your team members (I think) named Isaac.  Someone called his name at some point in the race.  How much longer till Nationals?  Ought to be nice and icey in Rhode Island by the time yall are there!

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 56 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...