Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

55366 Views 825 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2008 7:49 PM by Texas_Runner84 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 56 Previous Next
  • Serious Runner Rookie 56 posts since
    Feb 15, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Jan 8, 2006 10:31 PM (in response to GreenMan093)
    Re: DFW runners! New thread

quote:

Originally posted by Cora5K:

Wearing the gps on my bicep did the trick. I couldn't be happier.

Good. I wore mine today on the bicep for an out-and-back trek. I went out 3 miles and came back. Right at my starting point, the unit turned over to 6 miles. Can't argue with that accuracy. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I've been messing with a tight hamstring and sore knee. Left leg for both of them. To give myself a break from the pounding, I've been Xtraining at LA Fitness. People tend to freak when you really hammer the elliptical or stepclimber for an hour. I guess they're not used to seeing people sweat like that. I'm trying to do a run one day/xtrain the next. As the leg gets better, I'll add to the running.

BTW, they caught some kid setting fires just south of where I saw a group of kids trying to start one. Hopefully, it's the same kid.

• 2percenter Rookie 46 posts since
    Aug 23, 2005
    226. Jan 12, 2006 1:58 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

This is mainly just a bump.

Anyone doing the Bold in the "Cold" on Saturday?

• Cora5K Rookie 324 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    227. Jan 12, 2006 4:05 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

I'm doing the 5K.

• pesiv Rookie 246 posts since
    Nov 24, 2002
    228. Jan 12, 2006 9:32 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Have a good race Saturday Cora.

How's your leg feeling serious? I got in 53 minutes or so pain free today. We'll see. I'm thinking about doing a couple of Austin races. Has anyone done the Austin Half, the capital 10,000, or the Classic Ten miler? I'm considering all three.

----

"all of this pain is an illusion" maynard james keenan
    pesiv[/URL" target="_blank">

log[/URL" target="_blank">

Nov 24, 2007
    229. Jan 13, 2006 10:30 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

And what ever became of that 10K Willie Nelson used to host in Austin?  Before I coud do that distance, I really wanted to check that race out.  By the time I built my endurance up enough, they stopped having it.

• Serious Runner Rookie 56 posts since
    Feb 15, 2001
    230. Jan 13, 2006 12:58 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by pesiv:

How's your leg feeling serious?

It's still sore. I think it's the pirformis (spelling). I can crosstrain without any problems, but it doesn't like the pounding of running. I tried this morning, and it was an uncomfortable 4 miles.

I've heard it can be released by sitting on a tennisball and rolling over it. Sounds painful, but it's worth a shot.

Nov 24, 2002
    231. Jan 13, 2006 10:43 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

I'm not sure what ever happened of the Willie 10K.  I had afriend who had done it a couple of times and said it was a lot of fun.  Of course with Willie how could it not be a good ole time.

Serious, try your tennis ball or a foam roller in both instances you are imitating deep tissue massage to a certain degree. I'm not sure on the tennis ball but with a foam roller you roll back and forth across the roller (not going beyond the knee) and if you come across an area of discomfort you hold the position until you have a 50% or so decrease in pain. I use it infrequently in the store for general tightness. We have referrals regularly from some Cooper center therapists and trainers who recommend it as well. Its worth a shot if things don't improve. Be patient and remember, listen to your body.

----

• igo2wake Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 12, 2005
    232. Jan 17, 2006 3:29 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

any college aged, post-college runners around Dallas looking to run in groups?  I'm new to Dallas and looking to connect with some runners more or less my age.

Nov 24, 2002
    233. Jan 17, 2006 9:23 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by igo2wake:

any college aged, post-college runners around Dallas looking to run in groups? I'm new to Dallas and looking to connect with some runners more or less my age.

I'm always interested in someone to run with. What type of distance, pace, and training are you doing? What part of town are you in as well?

----

• bburgoyne26 Rookie 245 posts since
    Jul 9, 2003
    234. Jan 17, 2006 10:10 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by Cora5K:

And what ever became of that 10K Willie Nelson used to host in Austin? Before I coud do that distance, I really wanted to check that race out. By the time I built my endurance up enough, they stopped having it.

I did the first one he had out at his ranch at Pedernales......that was in the late 70's......were you even born then?..... !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

I actually had my picture in People magazine running beside Willie.....I staged it so my girlfriend could get a shot, but didn't expect it to be in People......very hilly course

• begaw Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 18, 2004
    235. Jan 18, 2006 7:33 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

I'm registered for The Cowtown (the half) but I'm not 100% sure I'm running it yet. Do any of you DFWers have any experience with the race? Is it a good one? Fun? Good support?
    The only race report I can find here at coolrunning is one from 2004 and it sounded like the race wasn't organized so well.
    Anyone have any encouraging words. I'm looking for a little arm twist. 

Nov 24, 2007
    236. Jan 18, 2006 11:02 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Just curious...why did you register for it if you're not sure about running it?  I've never done the half, but have done the 5K for the past few years.  I don't have many complaints.  Probably as many flaws as any race that size.  I liked it a whole lot better when it was in the stockyards, but Sundance Square has it's advantages too I guess.  Parking seems to be better downtown.  I was thinking about moving up to the 10K this year, if I can get my mileage up enough before then.  Anyone have any input on the 10K for Cowtown?
    I'll be the first to twist your arm...you *have* to do it...you already registered.  I'm not sure, but I think it would have an adverse effect on the Earth's gravitional pull or something if you didn't actually run a race that you've registered for.  Definitely bad karma.

• 2percenter Rookie 46 posts since
    Aug 23, 2005
    237. Dec 22, 2007 5:46 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

I have only run the 5K at Cowtown in the past, but this year I plan/hope to do the half.  As far as the 5K course goes, I preferred the new downtown route over the one in the Stockyards.  Just better scenery downtown than in Northside.  I can only speak to the atmosphere as it is pretty good.  People are normally pretty friendly and I've started many conversations at the start and finish with strangers.  More-so than other races.  There's quite a bit set up down there and since it's early morning everybody is there either to run or watch people run.  You get all levels at this race (well, no world-class athletes) which makes it fun. 

The half was new last year, so if there were kinks in it last year, I would suspect they are better this year.

You must run the race so I can look around and try to guess who begaw is.

[http://This message has been edited by 2percenter (edited Jan-19-2006).|http://This message has been edited by 2percenter (edited Jan-19-2006).]

• begaw Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 18, 2004
    238. Jan 19, 2006 11:16 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

Thanks Cora and 2%er. I'd hate to screw up the Earth's gravity or my karma so I guess I'm officially twisted. My arm, that is. 
    I registered a couple months ago after seeing an ad in Runner's World. I have some airfare and hotel costs to cover for the trip so I was trying to talk myself out of it before committing fully. If I back out now, I'm only out the $40 registration... but, I'm all trained up and it sounds like fun so I'm going to just go for it. Thanks for the twist. 

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 56 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...