Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

58465 Views 825 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2008 7:49 PM by Texas_Runner84 Go to original post 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 56 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    765. Nov 2, 2007 1:34 PM (in response to GreenMan093)
    Re: DFW runners! New thread

Carol, that is certainly not a nitpick in your case.  You have every reason to use great care regarding nourishment in a race, and good for you that you are running.  My neighbor has the same condition and bless her heart for getting out there and checking insulin levels during a half and other events.  Same goes for you.

Ray, that is a great vision for why you run and compete.  A great story.  It makes me envious I have few dreams or missions in running.  I am secretly hatching a plan for 08 that may get me excited again, but all has to go well with my recovery.  Tomorrow I am going to do my first ten-miler since my injury.  Little by little.  Spareribs

• carol40 Amateur 207 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    766. Nov 2, 2007 6:22 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Thanks spareribs.  I need to meet your neighbor!  I keep thinking that someday I'll come out to LGRAW.  Tried to find Cleveland Ray's tree one day on the trails, but didn't find it.  Got any slowbies out there?  My long run pace was around 11:00 and "pushing it" 10K pace 9:40ish.  Would I be left in the dust?

----

Progress, not perfection.

Dec 14, 2007
    767. Nov 2, 2007 6:59 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Carol, you must come and join us.  The club is so non-elitist.  We have super fast runners who are well-known in the metroplex, if not in the U.S., who just run and do what they like.  We have many walkers.  And of course we have many slower runners, and people always find ways to connect with someone going at their own pace.

Sat and Sun a.m. group run, 8 a.m. Announcements are made. We ask if anyone is new: "How far are you going today? What pace? Do you know the course? Okay, who will go out with (name of new person) and make (him/her) feel at home."

We have a clubhouse, hot and cold running water and of course a toilet and sink, snacks and drinks available, a course measured every quarter mile. And every organized run, volunteers put out water and sports drink at a couple of stops along the way.

You don't have to join to have the experience.  But come and jump in one day as a guest runner.  I assure you that you will be welcomed.  The course is beautiful and the people are really super.   Spareribs

• carol40 Amateur 207 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    768. Nov 3, 2007 12:07 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

LGRAW sounds great! Thanks for the info and invitation.  Nice touch to send newbies out w/ someone out who knows the group and trails.  It is beautiful out there.  I've got another couple of weeks before the doc recommends running again, so once I rebuild a little, I'll plan on coming out. 

Any fellow slowbie gals out there like to run in / around the trails at Parr Park? That's my main stomping ground during the week.

BTW -- if anyone wants to impersonate me (41 y/o female) in The Half tomorrow or the White Rock Half on December 9, I've already paid the entry fees!     Maybe I could trade you for an entry into the Cowtown Half  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

Progress, not perfection.

Dec 14, 2007
    769. Nov 4, 2007 7:39 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

I volunteered at The Half today.  Anyone else run it or have a story to share?  I thought it went off perfectly.  I think many people aren't prepared for how hot TX can be in November, and it is certainly no easy course.  I was careful to congratulate all finishers.  Two years ago it was hot, and I sure felt sorry for runners who were not prepared for it.

Signed up late as a volunteer, but I had a ball. They put me in that bbq line (translation: hamburgers and potato chips) to tear off bib strips.

This means, "You ain't got a number? No hamburger for you!!" So I was kinda the hamburger nazi in intent, but actually I gave everyone a hamburger if I knew they ran. There were a whole bunch of kids and moms from Bishop Lynch who worked that detail, and it was fun to meet new folks. They did a great job.

At one point one of the race officials said to me, "This guy has already changed and doesn't have his bib. Will you allow him to get a hamburger? He won the race."

Of course.

I said to him, "What was your time?" He said, "One oh six." I said, "You kidding? I can beat that!" He looked at me funny. I said, "In the tenK." He thought a second, and then roared.

Before the race, I jogged 30 minutes over the Norbuck high school X-country course on the grass. I watched my son run this course many times when he was in high school. I thought, "hey, this is harder than it looks from when I was a spectator." Duh.

I also saw many good runners in the various AG and sex categories. Although I am on the sidelines now, so many people said kind things to me and shared how they are doing. All in all, this was a blast.

I registered on Team Gazelle today. I enjoy the site a lot. Thanks Sprkle.

Spareribs

• Cora5K Rookie 324 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    770. Nov 5, 2007 1:00 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Sheila, congratulations on your Master's win at the Half.  Ray, read your race report on your marathon in Arkansas so know that while you didn't necessarily meet your time goal, it was still a very meaningful and fulfilling race for you. So congrats on that.
    "Really", you didn't mention a particular goal for yourself at the Half, other than to complete the distance, so I hope that you reached your goal as well.
    Ray, are you going to be up for the Squirrel Run this Saturday?

• Currently Being Moderated
    771. Nov 5, 2007 8:34 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Thanks Cora….I was WAY happy.

OH Really….hope you had a good half as well.

Where is Ray’s report…sorry new to this forum and where all of ya’ll post stuff???

Nov 24, 2007
    772. Nov 5, 2007 9:53 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

It's in the "Run and Race Reports" forum.  Here's a link:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/010761.shtml[/URL" target="_blank">

• Ray Andrews Rookie 226 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    773. Dec 22, 2007 5:47 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by Cora5K:

Ray, are you going to be up for the Squirrel Run this Saturday?

Maybe. If I do it'll be a race day registration, and that would be contingent on how much cash is in my wallet Saturday morning. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

[http://This message has been edited by Ray Andrews (edited Nov-06-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Ray Andrews (edited Nov-06-2007).]

• pesiv Rookie 246 posts since
    Nov 24, 2002
    774. Nov 8, 2007 2:16 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

wow...  I need internet at home.  we have gotten active on here.  great to see.  Great job to everyone at the Half and your run in Arkansas Ray.

Maybe I'll see some of you at Rockledge Saturday.

BTW who did I meet off of here in the store the other day? Sarah, was it? anyhow it was a pleasure.

have a great day all!

paul

----

"all of this pain is an illusion" maynard james keenan
    pesiv[/URL" target="_blank">

log[/URL" target="_blank">
    my page[/URL" target="_blank">
    Run On![/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    775. Nov 9, 2007 9:38 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Paul, my PT has moved me off all neutral shoes, like my Nike Pegasus, etc., and to all stability.  I stopped in RunOn Coppell today, bought a pair of Brooks something or other, a good stability shoe.  You younger folks won't remember this, but my first good pair of running shoes were Brooks in the mid-70's, the Brooks "Villanova".   Great people in that store.  Spareribs

Nov 24, 2007
    776. Nov 10, 2007 8:10 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Congrats on your trail race today Paul.  Was it as much fun this year as it was last year?  A lot warmer today, wasn't it?

Dec 14, 2007
    777. Nov 11, 2007 1:21 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Cora, nice win yesterday.  I know you are quicker than a 42 at the tenK, but I also know it was not a pleasant day to race, a mite warm.  Was the course a tough one?  Don't want to take away from your success of course.  I heard from some of the Rockledge folks that the heat and humidity made it a tough day.  Your thoughts? 

I got in 11 slow at Grapevine today, pain free.  Feeling good about that.  Spareribs

Nov 24, 2007
    778. Nov 11, 2007 3:28 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Naw, 42 is not too far off what I usually do, and I'm not running terribly fast this year.  However (and this will sound like I'm making excuses, I know) I did take a wrong turn adding on about a tenth of a mile.  The reason I took a wrong turn was because Norman Roper and Mark Miller were WAY ahead of me-out of my sight.  And no one in between us.  So, I was running alone.  I was having a hard time pacing with no one around me.  The turns were not marked well, and no one directing traffic or runners at over half the questionable intersections.  So I was having to slow down and either look, or ask (if someone was present) if I was on the 10K course.  It was a hilly course.  Nothing major, but lots of little hills.
    The times/awards were all messed up, and I finally left at 11:30 empty handed.  The woman who was working her tail off trying to get all the times straightened out kept telling me there were two women ahead of me.  She was getting short with me because of the frustrating situation, so I figured I should just head home.  But, I won't be going back to that particular race.  There are too many other ones to chose from on that date, and it seems like something always goes wrong at that one.  Did you hear about the locked gate the 5K runners had to deal with??  And yes, it was hot by 9:00 when the 10K started.  I wouldn't say it was a factor though.

Dec 14, 2007
    779. Nov 11, 2007 3:51 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

A tenth of a mile!  Well, there is half a minute, and a 41:30 or so.  You are quick Cora.  I saw Mark's and Norm's times in today's paper, and Mark is prepping for White Rock, so I am not sure if this was an all or nothing race for him.  Last week he ran a 24-miler at the Lake with the last four miles very hard, tough to do on a run of that distance, but he really knows what he is doing when he trains.  I have an awful lot of fun with him about his training.  I will ask him what he did that day and after he tells me he did some killer workout, I will say something straight-faced to him like, "Well, you're going to have to work harder than that if you want to make a success of yourself."  He has me figured out now and just laughs it off.  He's a terrific guy.  Spareribs

1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 56 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...