Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

52803 Views 825 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2008 7:49 PM by Texas_Runner84 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 Previous Next
  • pesiv Rookie 246 posts since
    Nov 24, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    780. Nov 13, 2007 4:50 PM (in response to GreenMan093)
    Re: DFW runners! New thread

Thanks Cora!  I ran about 10lbs heavier this year and boy did I feel it the last two days  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Hey y'all I will have internet at home after Saturday so you should see me post more frequently. Until then....

happy trails

paul

----

"all of this pain is an illusion" maynard james keenan
    pesiv[/URL" target="_blank">

log[/URL" target="_blank">
    my page[/URL" target="_blank">
    Run On![/URL" target="_blank">

• Teatime Rookie 24 posts since
    Jan 5, 2006
    781. Nov 14, 2007 1:35 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

Hi all, I'm a recent arrival in the DFW area, living in Melissa.  Have laid off about 6 months and trying to get going again.  Gained about 20 lbs back...argh.  Selling our house in NC, moving and getting settled has been really stressful and I just sort of fell off the wagon, so to speak.  Is there a running club in McKinney/Allen/Plano area?  Might be interested in joining.  Look forward to hearing from my fellow Texans.

Ed

• Texas_Runner84 Rookie 50 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    782. Nov 14, 2007 10:18 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Was anyone that post on this board at LGRAW on Sat 11/10/07....? I don't know anyone there but I ran with them.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    783. Nov 16, 2007 1:54 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Cake, I was there.  I ran six miles but I started at 7 a.m., so you wouldn't have seen me at the morning announcements.  I'll be there tomorrow as well.  I am always there, so next time you come, just ask anyone you see "Who is Spareribs?" and they will find me and introduce us.  Then I will see to it you are properly welcomed. 

To anyone else who is reading this thread, just know that on Saturday and Sunday at 8 a.m. are our group runs and we always take a minute to welcome newcomers during our morning announcements, get their name, find out how far they wish to run and at what speed, so someone will go with them to show the way.  It's a wonderful, warm group of people.  Hope to see you at the lake again Cake.  Spareribs

• Currently Being Moderated
    784. Dec 22, 2007 5:47 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Hello fellow DFW runners!  My wife and I are from Waxahachie and  just started the Couch to 5K program last Thursday.  We just completed our first week of the program!  Currently I'm running in some "basketball" shoes and my wife is probably wearing even less optimal shoes.  What is a good store in the DFW area with a well trained staff that can help determine what kind of running shoes we should get?  I figure if we're going to be doing this, we might as well make it as comfortable on the body as possible.  Thanks!

[http://This message has been edited by magnav0x (edited Nov-20-2007).|http://This message has been edited by magnav0x (edited Nov-20-2007).]

Dec 14, 2007
    785. Nov 20, 2007 9:08 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Others will chime in of course, but the two big stores in the area are Luke's Locker and RunOn.  I buy from both stores for the reasons you cite, but more importantly because they support the local running community.  They both offer discounts if you belong to a local club, and they both put on some great races throughout the year.  Generally, the staff is very knowledgeable about shoes, and many of them are pretty good runners in their own right.  Welcome, and good luck to you and your wife on the program.  By all means you must buy good running shoes.   Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    786. Nov 25, 2007 12:40 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

All right, who raced at all this TG weekend?  I am a fanatic for poring over the race results in the papers and I didn't see any of my local heroes or heroines (except for Sparkle of course).  Anybody race?  Tell your story.  Spareribs

• txmusicgurl056 Rookie 20 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    787. Nov 26, 2007 4:13 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by pesiv:

wow... I need internet at home. we have gotten active on here. great to see. Great job to everyone at the Half and your run in Arkansas Ray.

Maybe I'll see some of you at Rockledge Saturday.

BTW who did I meet off of here in the store the other day? Sarah, was it? anyhow it was a pleasure.

have a great day all!

paul

That was me.  Good to meet you too.

----

Sarah
    Dallas, TX

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Currently Being Moderated
    788. Nov 27, 2007 10:47 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Map is up for the DWRM Half....Live Oak, paralleling Swiss, looks like merge occurs about 11 mile mark and/or 24 mile mark near Central & Ross.

Should have same gradual descent as Swiss...just with pot-holes !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/frown.gif|border=0!

http://www.runtherock.com/race_info/pdfs/TheRockMap2007.pdf[/URL" target="_blank">

• dg12002 Expert 614 posts since
    Aug 26, 2003
    789. Nov 27, 2007 10:56 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by Spareribs:

Others will chime in of course, but the two big stores in the area are Luke's Locker and RunOn.

Come on Ribs, dont forget Fort Worth Runners Company, 1 block off of Camp Bowie. Father and son run this store and are expert Coaches in our area.

• kzplano Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 15, 2003
    790. Nov 28, 2007 8:34 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

Hello,

Still looking for an early morning running partner in Plano..in case anyone new is on here.
    I'm in the 75025 area.
    (Too far from the Plano Pacers to meet them daily, also run with Luke's on some Wed.)

Please email kzplano@yahoo.com if interested!
    Thanks!

Dec 14, 2007
    791. Nov 28, 2007 1:24 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by dg12:

Come on Ribs, dont forget Fort Worth Runners Company, 1 block off of Camp Bowie. Father and son run this store and are expert Coaches in our area.

Ah dg, I'm sorry. Maybe I'm just jealous because it seems all the good runners are over in Ft.Worth! You are right that it is a fine store and very supportive of the running community.

Cora, I was happy to see you drop in and say hi in my old folks' forum last week.

Sprkle, thanks for that map, and if I see you running on the track I'm calling the cops on you. You are getting too fast anyway.

Who is doing the full at WR? I am working the ten mile aid station with the Lake Grapevine RAW club. We always have a great one.

Hey, get this.  I signed up to man the DRC booth at the expo on the day before the Rock and I got put on a reserve list.  This after being the hamburger nazi at the Half!  Seriously, what a tribute to the job Libby Jones is doing at the head of this club.  She is getting great support from members volunteering.   Spareribs

• Cora5K Rookie 324 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    792. Nov 28, 2007 3:17 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Yeah, I'm counting the days till I'm a Boomer and Beyonder.  Some days I feel like my body is going to fall apart before I make it though!

• yar091 Rookie 25 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    793. Nov 29, 2007 7:49 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

Cora,

I see where you invaded my neighborhood on Thanksgiving (and were the 1st woman - congrats). My daughter ran that race (whole I was freezing my butt off @ Rockledge).

Nice to see that what once was a little neighborhood race is now starting to draw runners from across the area. I hope my neighbors treated you well.

yar

• Cora5K Rookie 324 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    794. Nov 29, 2007 10:11 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

The people there were very nice, and the course was great (except the part where we were running uphill into the wind).

But...I don't think I'll do that one again. They did not give as first prize what they had advertised. They didn't pull overall winners from age groups which robbed the third place female in my age group from her well earned medal. And (I know...I am sounding SO ungreatful-which I apologize for) they gave me the overall team trophy. I mentioned it when she handed it to me, but she said they all were labeled "overall team winner". I can understand how an error like that can happen, but...why not give me the trophy with the FEMALE runner on it? There were two with females, two with males, and one or two with sort of a generic topper...which is what I ended up with. Plus the finishers medal and the age group medal which I felt like should have gone to the second place age group winner...

What I did like about this race was that they tied it up very quickly allowing us to get home and cook for Thanksgiving.  The course was challenging but very beautiful.  Thank you for your congrats, and please don't be offended by my little "rant."  I know going into smaller races that some snags are to be expected.  I was greatful for the speedwork opportunity.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...