Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

52757 Views 825 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2008 7:49 PM by Texas_Runner84 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    795. Dec 2, 2007 10:39 AM (in response to GreenMan093)
    Re: DFW runners! New thread

Way to go yesterday Cora!  First place in AG with a 41 at the Zetnick.  Well done.

Here is a story for you about the Zetnick. A few years ago I was getting ready to run the WR Half and thought I would run the Zetnick at a 7-minute pace, as a perfect tuneup. So I did, and I'm at about the two mile mark and I come up on Bob Smeby. Well, there is no way Bob Smeby should be back here with me at this pace, so I ask him what he is doing. He had just won the 2-mile and was doing a cooldown. I asked him if he could pace me in at a 7-minute pace, which he did. This made all the difference as he knew every hill and turn and kept me pumped up all the way. At about 4.5 miles he sees Larry Lichnovsky ahead of us. Larry as you know, won the 60-64 AG yesterday and always runs this race. Bob says, "If you pick it up, you can maybe catch Larry as he's in your AG." I said, "I can't catch him and I don't even want to catch him." So Bob runs up and catches Larry and starts telling him "Spareribs is back there and he's going to catch you." Of course I never did, and Larry beat me by quite a bit; he's a better runner no matter the pace. We all had a great laugh over this during the award ceremonies. Both those guys are terrific runners and great guys.

So you had decent weather yesterday.  Was it too warm?  Same course?   Nice job Cora!   Spareribs

• Texasdude005 Rookie 61 posts since
    Jun 1, 2006
    796. Dec 2, 2007 12:20 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Cora:

You beat me out there and ran well. I'm horrible compared to what I used to be. As I try to come back, it's funny to note that it's now tougher to get under that 20-minute line than it was to get under 16. Oh well, 20 years has a way of doing that to you.  I just don't handle running all the necessary miles as well as I used to, so it's interesting to note that I'm getting faster again by cutting my miles and doing more x-training.

That last mile was pretty tough with the wind and predominant uphill. I couldn't believe how much my pace fell off although I was still running strong. I think it fell off by nearly a minute.

That race is a nice alternative to the larger Turkey Trot in downtown FW or Dallas. I can jog from my house to the starting line, run, and be home in time to help out around the house. The big problem they have is that mostly non-runners are organizing it. Last year, they forgot the numbers and were panicking over how to score the race. I ran home, got a bunch of notecards, and we did it the old-fashion way.

Looking back over the thread, I see that the issue with Boston jumped up. George Sheehan once noted that he was upset when they put in the original standards because he hadn't run that fast in years. He then set about training to meet those standards and did.

When I was younger (a lot younger), it was 2:50 for open males. I ran White Rock back in 1984 and finished in 2:50 to get my qualifying spot. I finished 132nd out of 3300 runners. There are still about 3300 runners at the Rock, but a 2:50 will place you a lot higher.

I'm not saying it's good or bad with the reduced standards, but I do believe that people will work to meet the standards. Set it at 4 hours, and people will work hard enough to run 4 hours. Set it at 3 hours, and people will attempt to do that. It's like school; I expect my kids to get A's. They don't always do it, but they probably end up doing better than if they didn't have any expectations placed on them.

Message Boards: Team Gazelle is pretty laid back all things considered. My name is my username there, and it's never been a problem. If you post something on a message board, there is an expectation that someone will disagree.

On Letsrun, you can glean some good information, but you sometimes have to walk in there with a baseball bat.

• Cora5K Rookie 324 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    797. Dec 2, 2007 3:13 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

quote:

Originally posted by Spareribs:

So you had decent weather yesterday. Was it too warm? Same course?

Spareribs, the weather was okay. Nice to not be freezing this year. The only time I really got cold was at the starting line. There was a thirty minute delay and when the wind picked up and it started sprinkling, I got cold then.
    Same course.

Texasdude, I talked to last year's Park Glen Turkey Trot overall female, and she was telling me about the timing, etc.  I would say they've improved in that area leaps and bounds this year.  They were really on top of it.  As long as they get my time and place right, I don't really care about all the rest.

• Texas_Runner84 Rookie 50 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    798. Dec 2, 2007 7:45 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

I know most of you don't like the idea of the marathon relay but this year is a special one for us. Look for Team Christina Nobrega...we are mostly UNT students. We are running for a student who tried to Run the Rock marathon and never finished cramping out at mile 22, she was in training to run in 2006 but she was tragically taken from the world to early at age 24. So I put together a team of students and we are going to run the race and finish it for her. Hopefully we see a lot of you at White Rock Lake!!!

Dec 14, 2007
    799. Dec 2, 2007 9:30 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Cakeeater,  a good worthy cause.  Have a great race. 

BTW, I am having ten people from Coolrunning from all over the country having dinner at my home on Saturday. They are coming to Dallas for WR. I don't know them in person, but they are friends on CR for many years and I feel like I know them. Many of us in the Boomers and Beyond thread do this regularly.

Texasdude made a terrific point about those Boston standards.  I couldn't agree more.  I am just mad at him because he was a minute faster than I was back in those days!  Spareribs

• Currently Being Moderated
    800. Dec 3, 2007 9:20 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

More info from Andy Beach..course guy for DWRM...

Short out & back on Matilda to make up some difference..just to let ya know.....

The Half course stays with the full course longer than last year.

Right on Longview - going east,
    Left on Greenville - going north,
    Right on Ellsworth - going east, (Half leaves Full at Matilda)
    Right on Matilda - going south,
    (stay on Matilda past Richmond for one more block)
    Turn-around on Matilda - going north, (just before Prospect)
    Right on Richmond - going east,
    Right on Skillman - going south,
    Right on Live Oak - going southwest,
    Right on Texas - going northwest,
    (straight as Texas becomes Bogel at Bryan intersection)
    Right on Central Access Rd - going north, (joins back with Full)

ONON

Nov 24, 2007
    801. Dec 3, 2007 12:39 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Thanks for the info Sheila.

802. Dec 3, 2007 5:42 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Good job in Arlington Cora!!

Just wanted to let everyone know about this new out & back, not much, one block on Matilda. BUT, this is the kind of thing that can throw a person off. It is not real clear on the map.

Spare….did you get hooked up for the expo? If you are down there Sat…I will be working packet pickup area so do come say hello. If you are over at DRC, I will venture over….I am 1-6pm shift.

AND,  If I was not racing, I would come crash your dinner party! Haha!!! But, after working all day, I will need to get home and get off the feet.

Dec 14, 2007
    803. Dec 5, 2007 5:14 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Sprk, you would always be welcome.

I will certainly see you at packet pickup because Cromer, the McKissicks and a bunch of other friends are usually working there. Next year that is where I want to work.

No, I am second string on the DRC booth.  The first string is all lined up and I only work if I get a call.  Am working the ten mile mark of the full on Sunday so won't see any of the Half people.  Pretty excited about the weekend though.  Spareribs

804. Dec 6, 2007 9:51 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

OK, I will let Debye & Ed know you want to help next year. We all usually work Rock Shop but there is not Rock Shop this year since New Balance took over. We all moved over to packet pickup.

Dec 14, 2007
    805. Dec 7, 2007 8:48 AM (in response to GreenMan093)

I consider jobs such as packet pickup and the DRC booth, which I worked last year, as plum jobs, simply because you get to see all your friends.  Would love to work it next year.  Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    806. Dec 9, 2007 5:03 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Well, I went to the Expo on Saturday and bought some running shorts, but most of all I got to meet sprkle in person.  Oh, my day was complete!

Worked the ten mile aid station for RAW today. I froze to death while the runners tell me they were pretty comfortable. All in all, a great running weekend even though I did no running!

Great seeing you Sheila!   Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    807. Dec 10, 2007 12:43 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Nice win in the half Cora, very good time.  Spareribs

808. Dec 22, 2007 5:47 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Hey Spare.  Nice meeting you also at the Expo . BUT I  really think we have semi-met before at Hood to Coast. I definitely remember you cheering for me when I ran leg #6 in 2006. That would be the last leg of Van #1 before the Van exchange at the Fred Meyer in that town (which I have forgotten the name of).

You were on the side of the road cheering maybe about a mile before the exchange? Was not you? I thought for sure. Like I told you at the Expo, I had seen you around and knew who you were. But, at H2C, I was running my leg pretty intense so could have been someone else but I do not think so.

GOOD run Cora¡. WOW. Awesome time!! And Meagan as well (not sure if she posts here).

[http://This message has been edited by sprklep (edited Dec-10-2007).|http://This message has been edited by sprklep (edited Dec-10-2007).]

Nov 24, 2007
    809. Dec 10, 2007 10:24 PM (in response to GreenMan093)

Thankyou Spareribs and Sheila.  My pacing was all wrong, horrible foot cramp the last three miles, and passed in the last mile.  Today I feel very sore and very old.  But, I guess my time was where it should have been.  I just wish I could learn how to pace properly and finish strong...

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...