Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

38902 Views 393 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2011 8:58 AM by Rocky Exline Go to original post 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27 Previous Next
  • MarkGuy051 Legend 542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    300. Jun 30, 2006 10:38 PM (in response to Spareribs823)
    Re: Where did you get that handle?

OK, since this got bumped, I'll own up to my boring handle. A long, long time ago I worked as a line cook. Another cook named Kevin started the same day as me. For some reason the manager, then the rest of the staff, referred to me as MarkGuy and Kevin as KevGuy. 22 years later, I still get called MarkGuy around town in a bar or two.

I loved going back over this thread. It's fun to find out where SpareRibs (and mrsribs) comes from (page 1), divechief, wa5yom, tetsujinXXX (is it really one person?), hup and lioness, etc., etc. Great fun to go through...

Mark

• Johnnystella088 Rookie 16 posts since
    Jul 16, 2004
    301. Jul 3, 2006 6:10 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

One of my favorite books is "Summer of '42" by Herman Raucher.  If you've never read it, do, you'll be rolling it's so funny and bittersweet.  Anyway, there is a very minor character reference in the book to this guy, Johnny Stella.  Always have thought it was a cool name.

----

I used to work at a fire hydrant
    factory. You couldn't park
    anywhere near that place.

• ajhjc Pro 119 posts since
    Apr 26, 2005
    302. Aug 17, 2006 1:50 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Just bumping this up for the new folks (hint: add yours).

This is one of my two all-time favorite threads (the other being the boomer pet thread, of course!)

And, I just figured out Sans Souci. 

• millbot Legend 635 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    303. Aug 17, 2006 5:43 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Okay, I'll go, and introduce myself at the same time.

I don't quite toe the line of the B&B charter (38 years old), but you real Boomers ® seem willing to overlook such things in exchange for valuable considerations which I admittedly don't understand. With that disclaimer:

I am male, a software engineer by trade, married with two daughters (13 and 9), and live in a small town in Utah.  I started running 16 years ago to get/stay in some kind of shape.  I ran 10-20 miles a week, inconsistently, until a year ago.  In something like a midlife crisis I decided to find out what my body could do before a got really old, so I started reading and trying things.  Realizing I still didn't know what I was doing, I signed up with an online coach a couple months ago.  I have run some shorter races, and I'm working up to a half marathon in the Fall, then probably a marathon next year.  I am a mid-packer looking to move up.

My handle came from a co-worker who was poking fun at my habit of wandering (milling) about with a disengaged look while taking a break from the sitting and thinking that is a big part of my job. The original name is Milbot, from this Simpsons episode[/URL" target="_blank">.

• packfan027 Amateur 41 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    304. Aug 17, 2006 6:03 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Mine is not real original, but not too bad either. I am a major  Green Bay Packer fan. I only wish this California boy could get tickets to a game at Lambeau.

• packfan027 Amateur 41 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    305. Aug 17, 2006 6:08 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Mine comes from the fact that I am a major Green Bay Packer fan. I only wish this California boy could get into a game at Lambeau

• Legend 532 posts since
    Jul 15, 2006
    306. Aug 17, 2006 7:09 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Hi JC (aka AJ),

Thanks for bumping this thread. I chose my handle partly because it might evoke some memories among boomers on this board. Even most boomer wannabes (i.e, those under 42) here will recognize the lyric from Credence, a California (my birth state) Swamp Rock band, from their song, Fortunate Son !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/cool.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/cool.gif|border=0!. The other part is that I feel very fortunate to be running at all, much less well, at the ripe old age of 58.

--

<br />Fortunatea volleyballer with a running problem
    Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• janeausten Amateur 48 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    307. Aug 17, 2006 10:59 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Obviously, love JAusten's works.

Also, when I had my first baby (14 years ago) three of my goals (besides getting some sleep) were to, within three months:

1) read all of J Austen's works and join the JAusten Society,
    2) run a PR 5K (with the modest goal of 25:00), and
    3) do an exhaustive study of the New Testament.

Little did I know about motherhood. Still trying to fulfill these goals. But Jane and running have stuck in my head together ever since.

• janeausten Amateur 48 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    308. Aug 17, 2006 11:01 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Obviously, love JAusten's works.

Also, when I had my first baby (14 years ago) three of my goals (besides getting some sleep) were to, within three months:

1) read all of J Austen's works and join the JAusten Society,
    2) run a PR 5K (with the modest goal of 25:00), and
    3) do an exhaustive study of the New Testament.

Little did I know about motherhood. Still trying to fulfill these goals. But Jane and running have stuck in my head together ever since.

• Gregbadlegs Rookie 16 posts since
    May 29, 2006
    309. Aug 17, 2006 11:06 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Well mine is kind of obvious, First name Greg , and my legs call me bad for abusing them.

----

G

• Gregbadlegs Rookie 16 posts since
    May 29, 2006
    310. Aug 17, 2006 11:09 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Well mine is kind of obvious, First name Greg , and my legs call me bad for abusing them.

----

G

• mbelongia Legend 211 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    311. Aug 17, 2006 11:33 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

This is probably obvious, but:  m - first initial of first name (Marie) and last name belongia.

The last name often gets a lot of questions. I once went into a pizza shop to pick up a carry-out order. I said something like, "Belongia, to pick up a pizza." The guy behind the counter said, "Oh, is that Italian?" To which I responded, "No. Half pepperoni, half sausage." As soon as I said it, I realized he was asking about the name, not the pizza! I was still red in the face after I paid and was walking out.

Surprisingly, the name is French, not Italian.

• Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    312. Aug 17, 2006 11:46 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

LOL - that's a funny story Marie!! Sounds like something I would do  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

----

"Life Is Good"

Tammy[/URL" target="_blank">

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    313. Aug 18, 2006 12:57 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

quote:

Originally posted by millbot:

The original name is Milbot, from this Simpsons episode[/URL" target="_blank">.

welcome to boomers milbot!

that's one of my favorite episodes; the scene with homer and the plant and lisa in the treehouse is awesome. right up there with that dream sequence in lisa's pony episode, and homer's spicy chili pepper trip with Johnny Cash. ahh, i need to watch some reruns!

post often ya dang yungster...

• Sea Breeze Rookie 12 posts since
    Aug 6, 2006
    314. Aug 18, 2006 12:54 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

"Awesome" thread Spareribs:
    Can I play!!

Sea Breeze, I picked this handle because I love the ocean, my favorite place in the world to be. ( I live just 20 mins from Hampton Beach, NH ).
    I'm a "Sun Goddess"!!!! I love to sun-bathe for hours in the sun. I have dark olive skin, so I don't burn, just get a really nice tan. Love those rays..............
    It's a place were all my stress and anxiety disappears. I'm at peace with myself when I'm there.

Winejunky: I just love your idea of a bottle of bubbly after a race. I enjoy drinking wine on a regular basis also. "Love your handle"!!

Gatorman10: "You wrestle gators"!!!! "Good to Know"!!
    You are just the friend I need to meet when I move to Florida, (Fort Myers) permanently. But for now, just traveling back and forth from NH to Florida.
    My husband will be retiring soon, and I can't wait to move there!! Sun & Summer year around, Paradise for me!!!!

Out of all the runners on this site I'm surprised know one has a handle or rides a Harley. lol
    My husband has a big old Harley 1997 Soft-tail!!
    I'm always bugging him to take me for a ride along the coastal area here. It's such a beautiful ride, and the
    "SEA BREEZE" is so refreshing. LOL.......................... !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

----

Life in Motion,
    Anna

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...