Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19336 Views 383 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2007 5:05 PM by JPGarland RSS 1 2 3 ... 26 Previous Next
fredurie Legend 1,895 posts since
Aug 21, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 2, 2007 9:37 AM

March 50 Plus Training and Racing

Thursday - 8 miles easy

Friday

AM 20 min. warmup, mile @ sub 5:40, 50 min. warmdown,
indoors

• Dark Horse Legend 1,684 posts since
    Oct 9, 2005
    1. Mar 2, 2007 11:16 AM (in response to fredurie)
    Re: March 50 Plus Training and Racing

There's a Road ID ad next to this thread. Road ID is probably an attractive concept to a lot of neurotic, compulsive, anxious people who run. I'm not getting one in a million years. I bet Fred doesn't have one. Or Sun Raider.

Dark Horse

----

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

• ptbrown Legend 422 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Mar 2, 2007 11:24 AM (in response to fredurie)

Only $19.99 and you can get them color coordinated with your running outfits.   I"m thinking you'd look good in olive drab, DH.

• runningindc Legend 267 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    4. Mar 2, 2007 11:41 AM (in response to fredurie)

Hmmm, I like Fred's idea... !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Last night did 4.86 at a 13 m/m pace in cool, somewhat wet weather. Real slow and feel good. Now, if I can just remember all these lessons and not go to fast I will be in good shape for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler April 1st.

----

Running in wellness

Liz

Lizs Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• JPGarland Legend 776 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    5. Mar 2, 2007 12:50 PM (in response to fredurie)

Not only do I have a Road ID (incl. blood type and donor approval) but i have a link to it on the home page[/URL" target="_blank"> of my website. But, then, I also have a link to a running headlamp there.

First March run: short Intervals.
    4 sets of 600, 400, 200 with rests of 1 min., 30 sec., 30 sec.  Paces consistent at 1:55, 76, 37.

Oct 9, 2005
    6. Dec 22, 2007 7:40 PM (in response to fredurie)

Sun Raider and Fred,

So far this week I have three runs of 11 miles eachall on the treadmill at 1%, because I don't like the outdoors venues for running here on base in Kosovo.<br /><br />I'm thinking of doing a fourth run of 11 miles on Sunday, which would give me 44 miles for the week. Edited to add: This would be a PR for weekly mileage.<br /><br />In keeping with what Sun Raider (I think) said about Galloway's old schedule of running every other day, I could run 11 miles every other day and log alternate weeks of 44 and 33 miles.<br /><br />Sun Raider said Galloway got as high as 17 miles per run on his every-other-day runs. As long as I'm pipe-dreaming, I'm thinking about trying to get up to 15 miles on my runs. We can assume I'm less sturdy than Galloway, and 15 is a nice round number: it would give me alternate weeks of 60 and 45 miles.<br /><br />Once I plateau at a certain level of mileagewhether it's 15 miles per run, or something lessI'm thinking I can gradually start adding in quality.<br /><br />Quality might take the form of races, or it might take the form of running some tempo miles. As I build mileage, I've been running mile pace in the high 8's or low 9's. No point going fast while I'm still adding miles.<br /><br />Dark Horse<br /><br />--

[http://This message has been edited by Dark Horse (edited Mar-02-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Dark Horse (edited Mar-02-2007).]

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    7. Mar 2, 2007 7:04 PM (in response to fredurie)

With so many people distracted by cell phones these days, I suppose road IDs make sense.  I don't wear one, but probably will one day.  Like those dog tags around your neck DH, probably a good idea.

I've got a buddy who refuses to run every day, says it takes 48 hours for his legs to recover after a run and that's that. A good runner who'll cross train on the off days, but never run.

Friday,

We got 8 inches of new snow today, so I got on the treadmill for a couple miles and waxed the skis for  tomorrow.  I'll wait 'til Sunday before running the road again...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Oct 9, 2005
    8. Mar 2, 2007 7:27 PM (in response to fredurie)

quote:

Originally posted by Rich in NH:

Like those dog tags around your neck DH, probably a good idea.

Rich,

I don't wear my dog tags, either. Screw the Man: no one's the boss of me.

Dark Horse

----

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    9. Mar 3, 2007 10:40 AM (in response to fredurie)

Saturday

Was wishing I'd brought the camera this morning, the scenery was awesome.

5 miles on XC skis. Like I said, it's not running, but can be a great workout if you push the pace.

Hope to be running tomorrow if the roads are clear...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• runningindc Legend 267 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    10. Mar 3, 2007 11:00 AM (in response to fredurie)

7.1 sunny and warm (50F) miles along Haines Point this morning.  Stopped at mile 4 and took my long sleeve top off it got so warm.  Yippee, spring is here, at least for a day.

Avg. pace 12:30 m/m.  Wanted to pick up the pace but held back, as lesson has been learned.  Feel so good I could go out and do it again, but I won't   

----

Running in wellness

Liz

Lizs Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Mar 3, 2007 1:05 PM (in response to fredurie)

Haines Point is a nice area to run Liz, if it isn't windy, but it's a miserable place to be when you run the Marine Corps Marathon.  Lonely out there.

Many people have several Road ID's, as I do. We don't pay for them. We win them in races. I do agree that they are unnecessary for treadmill runners though.

Saturday:  8 miles easy, just to finish up the week with 50.  Spareribs

Oct 9, 2005
    12. Mar 3, 2007 1:13 PM (in response to fredurie)

quote:

Originally posted by Spareribs:

Many people have several Road ID's, as I do. We don't pay for them. We win them in races. I do agree that they are unnecessary for treadmill runners though.

Yellow Ribs,

Just biding my time.

Dark Horse

----

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Mar 3, 2007 3:46 PM (in response to fredurie)

Dark Horse

I think you are hitting it well. Don't worry about weekly miles as much as what you run on the days you run. So weeks of 44 and 33 are not as imprtant as the strength you build running 11 miles each day you run. It is key thought that when you race that you cut back for that week. otherwise just think of 14 days being your 7 day week. I ran this way in my late 40's and early 50's and regularly creamed opponants in my age group who ran daily. I got all sorts of warnings that this would not work and that I would lose conditioning.

The fact is that I kept getting faster (in relationship to my competition) By the way, I ran 10-12 miles each day I ran, often doubling with 4-6 in the AM and another 4-6 in the afternoon. Once a week I did a single run of 10-12 miles.

The key was feeling good and staying strong. Not running my miles up. Even Galloway eventually dropped back to a 31 mile a week average (10 miles a day on which he ran) and broke 32 minutes (and beat me by a second or two in the process).

I also used an HRM and kept under 70% on my easy days and at 90% on my AT runs.

Raider

Oct 9, 2005
    14. Mar 3, 2007 7:19 PM (in response to fredurie)

Raider,

Thanks as usual for the good advice.

Dark Horse

----

1 2 3 ... 26 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...