Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6960 Views 52 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2010 12:41 AM by jmswlsn77 RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2007 12:30 PM

If you were an activist

what would your "issue" be?  You can only pick one.

I have been having a discussion with a friend about various political/social issues on the table right now. She vented about resources being wasted on "some climate control bill" while there are more important pressing matters that are deserving of attention.  Well, I took it upon myself  to educate her some on global warming, since this is an issue I'm always interested in learning more about and am very concerned about.

It got me thinking about this group here of intelligent, well-informed and educated boomers and what issue each of you would pick if you had one issue you could bring to the platform. It could be a health issue, political issue, social issue, etc. What would you be an activist for?

----

[Tammy[/URL" target="_blank">

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 22, 2007 1:14 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: If you were an activist

High quality K-12 public education for all, not just the lucky few who live in the right states or neighborhoods.  This is the bedrock of equal opportunity.

• RunstheBitterroot Legend 591 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Mar 22, 2007 1:26 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Hi Tammy, another one of your fun threads?  Wouldn't our favorite food be easier?

I guess it would have to be the most vulnerable folks in our own country. The homeless and the street people. We take better care of our animals than we do these folks. It is pretty hard to worry about the whales when I know someone is freezing to death under a bridge, because our city fathers have decided to clean up the city by getting rid of cheap places to sleep and moving them out of the city so that we don't become offended by thier presence.

Something interesting that was done in Salt Lake City, is thier outdoor mall I think dedicated to the winter olympics that took place there. Rather than kick out the street people they incorporated it into the mall. This is a beutiful section of town that was built up for everyone. At one end of the mall, are the street people where they live in safety. I was so pleased when I saw what they had done.

Of course this the view of a chronic co-dependant type. My views don't really go much beyond our own. I think I heard it said that "The quality of our society is based on the quality of care that we give our most vulnerable."

The other one would have to be "No Grizzly Bears on the Bitterroot" no explaination needed.

Larry

----

My Photo's[/URL" target="_blank"> "If you see a man running up a mountain trail in Montana with a fly pole attached to his back, you are probably lost. LDD

• Barefoot Rick Legend 325 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 22, 2007 8:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Educating the public about their barefoot stigma/phobia.

Think about it. How much more germs and bacteria do shoes have on them, yet many of us wear them into our houses and throw them in closets where the germs can party together with the other germs from the other shoes.

At least, I wash my feet at least once a day, sometimes more often. How often do people wash their shoes?

With that said, why should restauranteers worry whether someone has shoes on or not? I'm not eating with my feet. My feet are usually dry, unlike the feet that have been cramped up in shoes all day (a warm, moist environment rife for bacteria to be produced).

However, realistically speaking, the world is not ready for such radical thinking. So, I usually keep my thoughts on this matter to myself:

Imagine there's no shoes
    It's easy if you try
    Just earth below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Barefoot for today

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the barefoot world will have lots of fun!

Or, how about this one?

If I were an activist
    And you were a lady,
    Would you marry me anyway?
    Would you have my baby?

If running was my fun,
    would you still love me,
    Even if I never won,
    Barefoot beside me?

BR

----

"Do something remarkable, every day. In time, your life will become remarkable!" - Barefoot Rick @ www.barefootrunner.org[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by Barefoot Rick (edited Mar-22-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Barefoot Rick (edited Mar-22-2007).]

• Soundrunner1012 Legend 255 posts since
    Jun 20, 2006
    5. Mar 22, 2007 1:49 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Are you trying out out our left leaning or right leaning propensities, Tammy?   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

At the risk. . .

I'd have to go with animal welfare.  Immigrant rights would be my second choice.

• Pie Jones Legend 229 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    6. Mar 22, 2007 2:03 PM (in response to Tamalina)

No pastry left behind.

• Sandikal Amateur 96 posts since
    Jan 22, 2007
    7. Mar 22, 2007 2:25 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by Econo:

High quality K-12 public education for all, not just the lucky few who live in the right states or neighborhoods. This is the bedrock of equal opportunity.

That would be mine.

• nighthawk42 Pro 119 posts since
    Nov 4, 2005
    8. Dec 22, 2007 8:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Wouldn't his topic be more appropriate in the Club House. 

Not to be difficult, but the idea for Boomers and Beyond was to discuss running related issues for Masters Runner not Politics or religion or what have you. I know this is a great bunch of people in Boomers, but CR was separated into different forums to give the unique running groups a place to discuss running as it relates to the particular group, and they included the Club House for an anything goes area.

Just my .02

Mike

[http://This message has been edited by nighthawk42 (edited Mar-22-2007).|http://This message has been edited by nighthawk42 (edited Mar-22-2007).]

• Better than yesterday Legend 767 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Mar 22, 2007 2:55 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Mike - I agree. 

I think if the moral issues we stick with are running related, like "is it ok to bandit races?", we'll all stay happy together.

And name calling seldom gets anyone to see your point of view, Ray.

Brian  BTY yet DTAS?

• rbbmoose Pro 324 posts since
    Oct 12, 2007
    10. Mar 22, 2007 3:03 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Sorry BTY - My bad.

Apologies to any people or sticks I may have offended.

Ray

• RunstheBitterroot Legend 591 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    11. Mar 22, 2007 5:40 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Now I am confused, after reading Ricks post, it makes alot of sense, perhaps I will throw my shoes in the washer, Kay would probably appreciate it.  My feet smell better than my shoes.  Perhaps we should have another one of those online barefoot races, perhaps another 5k.

Larry

----

My Photo's[/URL" target="_blank"> "If you see a man running up a mountain trail in Montana with a fly pole attached to his back, you are probably lost. LDD

• jura Legend 566 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Dec 22, 2007 8:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by nighthawk42:

Wouldn't his topic be more appropriate in the Club House.

Not to be difficult, but the idea for Boomers and Beyond was to discuss running related issues for Masters Runner not Politics or religion or what have you. I know this is a great bunch of people in Boomers, but CR was separated into different forums to give the unique running groups a place to discuss running as it relates to the particular group, and they included the Club House for an anything goes area.

Just my .02

Mike

[http://This message has been edited by nighthawk42 (edited Mar-22-2007).|http://This message has been edited by nighthawk42 (edited Mar-22-2007).]

Thank you Mike, I whole heartedly agree. Discussing our running and unique age-group issues (as they relate to running) is what we're here for.
    j

• spankee Legend 414 posts since
    Nov 4, 2005
    14. Mar 22, 2007 6:33 PM (in response to Tamalina)

I like the topic.  Perhaps we start each with a statement of banditing races along with our number topic.  For example:

I am opposed to banditing races as it does nothing to address the problem of global warming.  It may be an inconvenient truth but it has to be the number of issue and a sad legacy that I will be leaving to my kids....I am referring to both banditing and global warming.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...