Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15528 Views 419 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2007 11:08 PM by euphoric RSS 1 2 3 ... 28 Previous Next
mainerunnah Legend 897 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 22, 2007 11:07 PM

May 50 Plus Training and Racing

OK Guys & Gals we've been scolded:

"I know you guys are old and maybe it's hard to read the calendar on the wall from your rockers by the fireplace, but it's May now."

by none other than    , who by the way had the nerve to do the scolding in the "April" thread. 

Anyways I figured I would get this new thread going so that we wouldn't get fined or anything like that.

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

"Keep on Running"
Bob

[http://This message has been edited by bobscamman (edited May-01-2007).|http://This message has been edited by bobscamman (edited May-01-2007).]

• ced53 Legend 727 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. May 1, 2007 12:30 PM (in response to mainerunnah)
    Re: May 50 Plus Training and Racing

I'll jump in first.  One day rest yesterday (3M easy) after my 10k, and today felt pretty good.  5M at 9m/M AHR 145.

This is the start of my hard work session. Run today, Ride a TT tonight, swim in the AM, then intervals at noon. 4 workouts in 24 hours.

-CArig

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. May 1, 2007 2:02 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

"They shoot horses; don't they?" 

6 very nice hilly miles this a.m. Had to keep slowing down based on pace. Am going to run last tune up race in Hutchinson Kansas (4 miler) next weekend before the big race (relay) in C.C. May 19th. Goal is 6 mpm. We'll see.

ksrunr

• dg9005 Legend 1,324 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. May 1, 2007 3:05 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

scolded in the April thread?   youngsters..  we just fondly shake our heads....& pat theirs.  
    <ducking>

Did any of you start running after 50? How did it effect your training? Or your progress? I do read a lot, but this variable doesn't seem to be considered very often; I'm not sure how to apply what I read. Any suggestions would be welcome.

thanks.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    4. May 1, 2007 3:45 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Deb, do you mean start again for the first time?

• Head Band Bill Legend 789 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 1, 2007 3:56 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Deb,

I started running when I was almost 53. I haven't really had any problems to speak of - only a few minor aches and no injuries even though I train fairly hard.

It's actually kind of good that I didn't run earlier in life because it sounds like people who have been running for a long time are slowing down as they age and their PR's are a thing of the past. In my case, since this is all new, I get a PR on virtually every race I enter! That'll end as I reach my potential (or get much older!), but for now it's fun.

Bill

----

Bill's Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. May 1, 2007 4:10 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Tuesday:  0, and it's going to stay 0.  I am a bit achy today and just decided not to go out.  No days off in quite some time, but will take one now that I see I need it.  I think this is also the right way.  I plan to run every day and take a day when I feel it's time, rather than to schedule them into my plan.  So far this approach has worked quite well for me.   Spareribs

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    8. Dec 22, 2007 11:07 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Monday - 2 miles @ recovery

Tuesday - 4 miles easy. I'm doing a cut-back week and am going to take shot a doing intervals in a day or two. It's been a while...

dg9, I started running at 55, am 58 now. I brought my 5K pace down from 10:00 to 7:30 a mile by last summer, but lost some momentum due to overtraining and am just now getting back to increasing mileage and intensity.

I will say there's a world of difference in the way I feel now versus before running and it's all to the good.

Not sure what your running/training consists of, but always be sure you've recovered from one hard workout before doing the next. It's the best way to keep from getting hurt.

Sore legs? Run easy...

[http://This message has been edited by Rich in NH (edited May-02-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Rich in NH (edited May-02-2007).]

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Aug 14, 2007
    9. May 1, 2007 7:39 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Sorry, Deb.  This is my third try at completing this post.  I offer this from the perspective of the least experienced person here.

I ran my last 10k in 1982, so this is similar to starting at 50.
    I set a goal to run a 5k by my 50th birthday. I was able to progress quickly, but ended up with an overuse injury which took a while to resolve. I think it took longer at this age to get better. I haven't had a serious injury since that one, so I'm not sure it's easier to get hurt at this age. I completed that 5k.

Listening to your body doesn't always mean to slow down or take a day off. The people here suggested I could push myself a little harder. It's important to set reasonable, yet challenging, personal goals. I think I'm pushing harder and I'm not getting hurt. I do try to make my hard and easy days deserving of their adjectives. Stretching seems more vital now.

I get more "Your crazy!" comments from friends. It has been difficult to find a steady running partner at this age. On the plus side, the age group competition also thins.

This topic is always great reading. I also read the Basic Training topics and scan responses for names I recognize. Lots of good info there, too.

I saw a great bumper sticker on the way to our first real race last weekend. It read, "If you're not having fun, why are you doing it?" I had fun! I also can't wait until the next one.

The Other Deb

• Canfit Legend 1,055 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. May 1, 2007 10:41 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Hi Deb - started running when I was 53.  Never thought I'd make as much progress as I have so far in the past 3-4 years.  Have managed to complete a few marathons which in and of itself is a miracle.  I haven't raced short distances seriously... just not sure as to how far/how fast I should push myself.  I've had a 2-3 ham/calf injuries so tend to be somewhat cautious.

Was ready to scale back to half marathons (marathons are tough) until I ran a PR last fall and came across CR around the same time. The advice and support has been great. Decided to tackle another marathon with better prep. We'll see how it goes.

I have found that listening to the advice here has really altered the way I have approached my running. I'm thinking a lot more about what I'm doing before I do it. The irony is that the more you know, the more you realize you don't know.

Some of my learning for what it's worth - "miles on your feet"; listen to your body; learn from seasoned runners; get rest when you're tired; small steps are the best way to learn; enjoy and share the running experience.

Happy running,
    PJ

Aug 14, 2007
    11. May 2, 2007 9:53 AM (in response to mainerunnah)

7 okay miles this morning.  The rock I thought I had in my shoe turned out to be a blister on the arch.  I can't remember the last time I had a blister.

Work hard, Pro.

• runningindc Legend 267 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    12. May 2, 2007 10:28 AM (in response to mainerunnah)

The info:  5.13 miles in 1:04:03 for an avg. 12:29 m/m.
    12:31, 12:33, 12:39, 12:48, 11:55
    Was able to run mostly on grass, but felt as tho that slowed me down quite a bit. Rough terrain, and the park service hasn't mowed yet (they are mowing today)
    no shin issues, but icing for precaution. I am so happy.

Euphie: Ouch!!!

Mr. Ribs: I like that idea, would you recommend only for seasoned runners such as yourself? I am afraid that I don't have the miles yet to benefit from running until I want to rest, and then resting.

Question for Sgt. Dark Horse or Euphie, or anyone else that knows: What is a twilight tattoo? As I was rounding the Washington Monument this a.m. many army gods…I mean guys, were gathered round 3 very large cannon like guns, and there were bleachers set up. An army truck full of what I suppose was higher ranking army gods, whoops, guys was sitting there. As one of the young army gods, I mean guys, was heading towards that truck and as I was running by, I asked what was going on and he responded a dress rehearsal for the twilight tattoo this evening. Of course in my boomer wisdom and, looking at this very young, tall, thin good looking army guy, I responded, if I come back at twilight you’ll tattoo me? As he was laughing and trying to respond in an army like way, I ran off telling him I would surely return this evening. But, I never did find out what a twilight tattoo was.

----

Running in wellness

Liz

Lizs Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    13. May 2, 2007 10:50 AM (in response to mainerunnah)

4.25 ez miles this morning untimed. 

Runningindc, I'm guess twilight tattoos is a fireworks show of some sort. I'm sgt dark horse can shed some dimness on this for us.

good running all
    ksrunr

Aug 14, 2007
    14. May 2, 2007 11:12 AM (in response to mainerunnah)

Liz, you scared me for a moment thinking that I would know about ink on skin!  I think they were talking about a ceremony that would take place as the flag is lowered.  Everyone would salute, there might be some music, a pass in review, and other assorted traditions.  DH?  Mr. E,  an old guy in uniform, will check in at lunchtime and I'll ask for the official response.  DH may pop in sooner.  It's good to hear you are feeling better.

1 2 3 ... 28 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...