Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6511 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2008 10:27 AM by desertrunnerdude RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2007 1:08 PM

How far have you travelled for a race?

I know some of you, many of you, fly various places around the states (or maybe the globe?) to run in a certain race.  Which got me thinking about 'just how far is the farthest you've travelled'??

for me, the farthest I've travelled is just up to Portland (a 4 hr drive). I guess the upcoming Avenue is about that same distance but since it's in another state, that makes it seem like it's farther to me. I wish I had the expendable income to hop on a plane for a weekend just for the sake of running in a race. I would absolutely LOVE to do Marine Corps some year. I think that one is my dream race for some reason.

----

Tamalina[/URL" target="_blank">

• PBJ027 Pro 190 posts since
    Aug 18, 2004
    1. May 3, 2007 1:17 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: How far have you travelled for a race?

To quote from last year's race report:

"The PBJ family (Mr. & Mrs. PBJ and the 3 PBJ offspring) boarded the minivan on Friday at 5:30 am for a scenic 11+ hour ride to Chagrin Falls, Ohio (about a half an hour outside of Cleveland). We were staying with friends who used to live in Connecticut.

The PBJ family passed the time consuming the sugary contents of their goodie bags (thanks, Long-suffering Mrs. PBJ), playing license plate bingo, two truths and a lie, twenty questions, and scavenger hunt (the last item found was the fuzzy dice hanging from a rear view mirror. They were discovered by PBJ Jr. (age 4) in the expo parking lot on Saturday). PBJster #2 (daughter, age 8) kept track of the state plates for us. We were up to 40 states by the time the road trip was over. Mrs. PBJ’s most oft-used phrase on the ride out – “stop kicking me!” – said to PBJ Jr. as his feet repeatedly wailed on her captain’s chair seatback.

Monday was the dreaded ride back to Connecticut. It was fairly uneventful, other than PBJ Jr. repeatedly stating “this is the longest ride of my life! We’re never going to be there!” Ah, the life of a 4 year old. We made it home after about 11 hours of this, and our adventure was over."

VCM, in 3 weeks, will be a 5 hour car ride, and PBJ Jr. is one year older.

• evanflein Legend 1,275 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. May 3, 2007 1:20 PM (in response to Tamalina)

From Fairbanks Alaska to Napa California for the Napa Marathon, March 2006. Don't know exactly how far, but it's a looong way. I agree Tammy, I'd love to have the ability to fly all over doing races. Greta way to see the country. Maybe in my next life...

----

evanflein[/URL" target="_blank">

• Karl Rysted Legend 512 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. May 3, 2007 1:36 PM (in response to Tamalina)

From Oklahoma City to Vancouver and Victoria, BC last year.  I think someone nominated me for the Most Traveled Boomie award.  And now northern California and Olympia, WA in the next couple of weeks.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• John2635 Legend 504 posts since
    Oct 2, 2004
    4. May 3, 2007 1:43 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Ah Tamster, you're back doing you're fun threads, while not in the league of rlemerts recent trip, I've driven      800 miles from Oregon to Huntington Beach, CA the last 4 years to run in the Pacific Shoreline 1/2 marathon, but since I have friends and family there, I incorporate it into a vacation. I'd like to go to NYC (the greatest city in the world) and run the marathon there, but it doesn't seem too likely now, maybe someday though.

• hermosaboy001 Legend 909 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 3, 2007 1:45 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Distance:
    Hunstville -- 1015.43 miles
    Boston -- 1414.15 miles

Timewise:

5.5 hour drive to lovely Racine, WI to run a 5K.

Of course, it was for all three of us.  

• hermosaboy001 Legend 909 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. May 3, 2007 1:56 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by evanflein:

From Fairbanks Alaska to Napa California for the Napa Marathon, March 2006. Don't know exactly how far, but it's a looong way.

About 3255.93 miles...  

• choover Legend 1,120 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    7. May 3, 2007 1:58 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Montana to Virginia via plane (2,200 miles)

Some friends recently retired, sold their home, and will travel the US in their RV to run marathons and visit friends....

• RunstheBitterroot Legend 591 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    8. May 3, 2007 2:11 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Ogden, Utah to Vancouver 928 miles.  Well worth the drive and it was a great vacation.  Larry

----

My Photo's[/URL" target="_blank"> "If you see a man running up a mountain trail in Montana with a fly pole attached to his back, you are probably lost. LDD

• Flash1TX Amateur 22 posts since
    Apr 25, 2006
    9. May 3, 2007 2:13 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Dallas TX to Anchorage AK = 4,125 miles

Also
    Dallas to Portland OR (hood to coast)
    Dallas to Eugene OR

Dallas to Anaheim / Disnneyland, CA

Dallas to Salt Lake City UT
    Dallas to Columbus OH

and a bunch of closer ones in TX, AR, OK

----

"If You Believe, You Will Achieve" My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• jura Legend 566 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. May 3, 2007 2:18 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by Karl Rysted:

I think someone nominated me for the Most Traveled Boomie award.

[hijack] Which reminds me, whatever happened to the Boomies this year? We all did our nominations then we left it at that....Did I miss something?  /hijack

I only travelled to Vancouver Island from the Lower Mainland for a running race. Then again I have been running for less then 2 years. I will probably wait with globetrotting for races until the kids are grown up...

In my TKD years I flew down to Little Rock AR for the world championship. That's the farthest I travelled for a sporting event.
    j

• joev9 Rookie 474 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. May 3, 2007 2:21 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Boston, MA to San Antonio, TX 

(to be fair, I ran a race while there visiting family...)

• glidegal Legend 506 posts since
    Mar 7, 2005
    12. Dec 22, 2007 11:09 PM (in response to Tamalina)

After reading most of these, I feel like a wimp.  Portland to San Francisco many years ago for a Bay to Breakers and two years ago for the Women's Half.  glidegal
    ETA: Portland to La Jolla Half 2004.

[http://This message has been edited by glidegal (edited May-05-2007).|http://This message has been edited by glidegal (edited May-05-2007).]

• Stevie Ray Lopez Pro 500 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    13. May 3, 2007 2:44 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Kona to Bangor Maine for last year's Paul Bunyan Marathon. 

Which sort of sucked and wasn't worth the trip.

About 5000 miles the way I traveled.

• rlemert Pro 250 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. May 3, 2007 2:50 PM (in response to Tamalina)

For the record, my trip last week (according to mapquest) was 2890 miles city-to-city, but I'm sure my actual travel distance was longer since I flew through Dallas and drove down from Texas. Like others, though, I took advantage of the trip to visit family, and I burned a bunch of frequent-flyer miles to get there.

Maybe next time I'll be able to bring the family along too.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...