Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

292625 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Previous Next
  • Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    195. Mar 28, 2012 9:49 PM (in response to Ericd3043)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Eric, Penny, how much fluid do your 4-bottle-hydration-belts hold? My big bottle holds 20oz and I usually drink that during my long runs (7-9miles), so I always wondered if there are belts that have two big bottles (although I have to admit that would mean to carry extra-weight)? When I bought mine I saw other belts with two bottles but those were smaller and probably adding up to the same amount.

Eric, from my point of view 10min/mile for a 1/2 is great! I always run a pace of 10 or 11-something on my practice runs and was very proud to run a pace of 10:37 during the 10k race... which was fast for me. Imagining to run 10min/mile in a half marathon is impressing! For some reason so far distance has been more important to me than speed, although I have to admit that I would love to run faster. Like you I am really enjoying the endurance part of my long runs.

Penny, I definitely will ask about limb length discrepancy. I have another session tomorrow. Today seemed to be a better day, I seemed to have less pain/discomfort in the hip area and the pain started later in the day. So there is hope ;-)   The Half in Monterey/Big Sur is  my big dream. I just love the central coast, the route of the race is supposed to be very pretty and it is on Novemer 18th, which will be on my brother's first anniversary, so that makes it special too :-)  Good luck for bike shopping! Let me know when you found one/bought one. I might be buying it tomorrow. Are you looking for a women's bike? All the bikes I test rode so far were men's bikes and I really do not want to get a women's bike. I am wondering though if women's bike are really "better" as they are supposed to fit the female anatomy better.

Mary Kay, yes, after not running for such a long time I have to be realistic. Good thing I did not register for all the races yet! I wanted to run a 10k in March, a trail race at the end of the April and the Half Marathon in May. I am so glad I didn't register yet. Congratulations on running 11miles and having such a great run in the hills!

Kris, it seems we are both training for a half around the same time this year! Good luck!

Have a great week everybody and wonderful runs!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    196. Mar 28, 2012 10:23 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta... I am not sure.  it is a 4 bottle system.  They are smaller bottles, looking it up... they are 8oz bottles.  During my personal long runs, I usually drain them all.  I usually split them with 2 having water, 2 with gatorade. 

I got it from Dick's Sporting Goods, so it is the standard model.  The nice thing is - it keeps on the hips - so no bouncing during the run.  I found I would rather have 4 smaller bottles and leave my hands open.

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    197. Mar 29, 2012 8:54 AM (in response to Ericd3043)

Lots of good posts on this thread lately.  It's great to read everyone's progress. 

Drink carriers:  personally I usually use a 6 bottle fuel belt.  I think the bottles are 10's and the small side pouch holds the mp3 and house key.  If it's really hot or I'm going long then I switch to my Nathan hydration pack which can hold up to 3 liters.  Some people don't like the backpack because everything sloshes around but it can't be beat for capacity.  When I do my HM's I'm planning to take the belt though because it's only intended to back up the aid stations.  The backpack is great for the longer unsupported runs and rides.  There are several varieties of belts around so do some shopping and if you have a friend with one give it a try.

Bikes: some of the differences between women's bikes and men's bikes aren't just the frame.  The shift/brake levers can be made to be closer to the handle bars so they fit smaller hands better.  Some seats are anatomicaly specific too.  The size of the handlebars can be smaller, although most are 38mm diameter, and the curled ends known as 'the drops' can have a different bend radius.  The stem which holds the handle bars to the fork is totally an individual fit as is the height of the bars over the frame and has nothing to do with gender.  More aggressive racing bikes have the seat way above the bars which is a tougher position to hold for longer periods of time but lends itself to more aerodynamic positioning.  My bike has the bars even with the seat in more of a touring style that has ride comfort as more of a priority.  Everything can be adjusted or changed if it doesn't fit you, except the frame, so just see what works for you and if something isn't quite right then ask about options. 

I've always been of the opinion that endurance should come before speed.  The first time I run any race I mostly just work at finishing it but the longer the race the less I worry about speed.  Going back later allows me to continually improve and enjoy the increased performance.  One of my favorite bike races I did 6 times.  I improved by about 15 to 30 minutes each year until my 5th when I made it in just over half the time it took me on my first ride.  That was an awesome feeling.  The results were a great motivator to continue.  At the end of the race you'll know if you pushed yourself and as long as you're satisified that your performance was good enough then your actual time is less important.  Another bike race I did one year took me 3:56, and the next year it was extremely windy and I finished in 3:45(ish, as I recall) but I moved up the overall rankings by about 200 places so don't put everything on your pace time when other things can effect it.

Remember that these events are more about time at an effort level, the actual pace time is the result of that and everything else.  Trying to focus on the time can get you to push yourself too hard and bonk later when you're out of energy before the end of the race.  And yes, I know this from experience.  We all have goals for each race but pay more attention to yourself than your watch on the course and enjoy the day.

Andy

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    198. Mar 30, 2012 5:36 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Welcome Kris and Matt.  Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Try to search online  for Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway half marathon training program or go try runner 's world smart coach running program. 

Britta - I am using profile design fuel belt four 8-oz bottles.  It has a wide Velcro strap which keeps the belt in place and minimizes the bouncing around.  I plan to buy a women's road bike.  I am vertically challenged, so a men's bike would not be appropriate for my body type.  The Scott XS contessa bike was a good fit though.  Thanks Andy for explaning the difference between men's and women's bikes.  Really appreciate it.

Andy - any advice on which to prioritize in getting a road bike, comfort or  aerodynamic design?  Two weeks after my May 6 HM, I am starting to go on longer bike rides.  By then, I have purchased my own road bike instead of borrowing my brother 's fuji mountain bike.

Mary Kay - Are you getting ready for the 3-week taper?  Just stay injury- free.  With all the training and tune- up races, that HM is in the bag.

I still got 3 more Sunday's to do my long runs before the big day.  Then, starting my 3-week taper.  What should be the longest run for the HM, is 10 or 11 miles good enough or push it to 13 miles 3 weeks before May 6?

Run safe and run fierce.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    199. Mar 30, 2012 7:22 AM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, taper is new to me. I thought it lasted a week. i'll have to look it up. Thanks for the reminder! Actually, I thought I had 6 wks but that means I'll have to rethink my plans. Good to know!

Also good to hear about how much you guys drink. I wasn't drinking at all during runs until I hit 8 mi and someone posted they were taking gels for 6 mi runs. If it weren't for these running threads, I would be mighty uncomfortable. I'm off to buy some more bottles for my belt. Got my new iFitness belt last week and I LOVE it. It stays put, no bouncing. Also am not yet in love with Motoactv but it sounds good. I ran with it yesterday but took the phone for endomondo because I love the map feature. Have trouble with change. Just listened to Jim at Bob Evans tell me about how he used to have out-of-body experiences when running. He's 89 and not running but boy did he light up talking about it! Everywhere I go I meet folks in this city who ran or are running. I had no idea it was so popular and I love that. 

Hope you are all enjoying the wonderful weather we are having. It's been raining but never more than a few hours. Enjoy your runs or if you're healing, get out there and play.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Oct 23, 2010
    200. Mar 30, 2012 8:58 AM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, the kind of riding you're planning to do will determine how important aerodynamics are.  The more aggressively styled racing bikes help you get your shoulders lower but it's hard to hold that position for a long time without a lot of training.  Obviously the faster you go the more important aerodynamics become, but I've found it doesn't really make much impact until you're going over 20 mph, and makes a significant difference by 25 mph.  Anything faster and I'll sit up tall to aerobrake if needed.

Bikes have 2 main types of drag slowing you down, rolling and wind.  Rolling resistance is largely determined by the tire's size and firmness but the surface will play a part too but for road bikes it's not usually an issue.  The tires should be inflated to at least 85 psi, more if you're above 130 pounds, to minimize rolling resistance and improve handling.  Soft tires will also be more prone to pinch flats when you ride over any debris.  I run my tires at full pressure because I'm not light and need all I can get out of them.

Wind resistance can depend on several things but to avoid being too technical we'll stick to the riding position.  A good aero position doesn't require you to be lower, to a point.  I get reasonable effects with my bike which is set up for comfort but I'm in no danger of a podium finish anyway so I don't care if I give up a few percent efficiency because I'm working hard enough already in a race and would rather be comfy on my long rides.  In short, unless you're joining a racing club I'd highly recommend a more comfortable setup.

Here's a link to some pictures from a time trial I did last year.  It was 17 miles and these were taken on a long downhill section where we were doing about 38 mph (with a tail wind) so you can see the differences in bike setups and riding positions.  For me if I get my head, shoulders, and back reasonably flat I'm happy but the obvious racers take it much further.  http://www.sportifimages.com/BikeRacing2011/Haystack-Mtn-TT/PM-Start/16652941_cjW7z9#!i=1255617873&k=gRQTq2d 

In case you're wondering, yes I need a downhill to get over 20 mph.  I averaged 20 on my sprint tri last summer which I needed to make up for my swim time.

Mary, for shorter runs like 5k's you shouldn't need any drinks on the course unless it's really hot.  For events over an hour regular drinks and food are a good idea.  Once you're doing the really long stuff continual fueling is essential.  Don't wait too long to get started or you'll be in a deficit that's hard to get out of.  It sounds like you're all set so enjoy the running. 

Andy

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    201. Mar 30, 2012 8:11 PM (in response to NzAndy)
    Re: Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Great discussions you are having about cycling, gels, hydration and equipment.  Thanks for sharing all your knowledge!  I have been away from the threads due to a family illness and have a lot of catch up reading to do.

Training continues, and the 5 week countdown to my HM begins.  My weekly mileage is currently at 26 miles, and I completed a second 12 mile run last Sunday.  The long runs have been going well,  but the 4 milers a couple days after have been brutal.  I"ve been fine-tuning my fueling and hydration plan for the race, and it has been working well for me. Before my long run, I use half of a Hammer gel (Raspberry or Mountain Huckelberry),  1 full pack after 50 minutes out, and the remaining half gel after 50 more minutes.  Using my Nathan 18 oz. waist pack filled with water during training runs, but will use the water stations during the race.  The field is limited to 1800 runners, so getting to the water shouldn't be a problem.  Recoverite and ice baths have made a big difference with eliminating any muscle soreness the next day.  The ice baths are not that bad!

So sorry to read about the injuries and challenges some of you are facing.  Take care, and heal quickly. You'll be back stronger and fiercer than ever!  Best wishes to everyone racing this weekend!

Run strong, friends!

Jun 28, 2011

Hi everybody,

Eric & Andy, thanks for the details about your hydration belts! Penny, thank you, too, I looked yours up.. love it! I also saw they have a trail running hydration belts with two pockets in addition to the bottles, I might get something like that once I get back into running longer distances. In the fall I had done a lot of trail running, but then got "distracted" by long distance running.

Penny, also good luck on getting your bike! I had planned to go to the bike store on Thursday, but my son got sick. I am planning to go on Sunday if all goes well, if not then next week, luckily I am on spring break next week.

Andy, thanks for all the detailed information regarding bikes!

Debra, Mary Kay, good luck for getting ready for your upcoming races!

Things are more cheerful here. I had another PT session on Friday. It turned out that my left leg in general is my problematic area. My physical therapist worked really hard on this, my leg is so sore..... I feel like I got beaten up! ;-) But it sure helps. Next week they will have me run on a treadmill in order to observe my running style and also to see on which part of my foot I land.... this will be interesting for sure! Oh and best thing of all.............. I was allowed to run!!!! I had permission to run one teeny, tiny mile in order to see how my body reacts to it.... So out I went and ran one mile in my neighborhood, all happy but also a bit anxious. Good news was that although I did feel some discomfort in the hip area it never added up to the bad pain I had weeks ago. After two or three hours though I felt pretty sore. Today I was back to normal. I got acupuncture again which really helped a lot! My body felt so much better and so much less pain! So it looks like things are improving here and healing is in process! :-) Can't wait for Monday to hear what PT tells me....

Happy running and all the best for you guys who are getting close to their races!

Britta

Britta

Jun 8, 2011
    203. Apr 1, 2012 5:11 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Andy, Thanks. I run in a different world. I am sloooow, 4 mph. This afternoon's bust took almost 3 hrs. Tried to run 12 but did 10 and my knee gave me so much grief I walked the last 5 miles. So, a 5k can be almost an hour.  Am hoping this is just a passing problem but am afraid it has now become an injury so I took the plunge when I came home. You know you're a runner when you take your first ice bath. Good grief, can anything be worth that? If this works, I will be such a big convert!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

Jun 8, 2011
    204. Apr 1, 2012 5:21 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta, so glad to hear you are healing! And, you are. I expected to have no pain when I started back running and worried that lingering pain meant I was running too soon but if you keep up with therapy, it should get better instead of worse, right about the time you try pushing farther and learn how much your conditioning has slipped. Savor the joy so you can remember it in the coming weeks as you work your way back. Happy running!!

Oh, btw, you guys (and the great weather) have me buying a bike, too. Haven't ridden in 15 yrs and there was a good reason for that. No balance. But if you get going fast enough it isn't such a problem.

Mary Kay

Aug 2, 2010
    205. Apr 1, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta~So great to read the PT and acupuncture have helped with your hip pain.  I bet your neighborhood run was filled many emotions!  Good to hear it all went well.  Praying you get good news from the PT tomorrow.  Take care!

Aug 2, 2010
    206. Apr 1, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to mkayc)

MaryKay~So sorry about your knee!  Are we twins separated at birth?  I planned to run 12 miles today, but after 3 miles experienced a sharp pain in my right knee.  I thought this was due to running three days in a row (NOT smart), or the cold, damp weather.  While I was waiting for my husband to catch up on his bike, I massaged the knee and thought about calling it a day.  When he arrived, decided to try again as I could always stop if I had to.  Well, maybe I didn't warm up enough at the start, but I never felt the pain again!  The problem was I could not get in the groove, all the time thinking I may have to stop.  Then to top it off, I screwed up the Garmin and miscalculated my turn around on the out-and-back route.  Ended up doing 10 miles instead of the 12.  Sometimes these events can't be explained, we just have to roll with 'em!

Just a few hints on ice baths......While the water is filling the tub, turn up the heat and shut the bathroom door to make it nice an toasty.  Enjoy a steamy cup of hot cocoa (or hot beverage of your choice), roll up my hooded sweatshirt so it doesn't get wet and step in!  I always follow with a hot shower and then put on my Darn Tough wool socks! 

Take care!

Jun 28, 2011
    207. Apr 1, 2012 7:51 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay and Debra,

thanks for your sweet words! :-)))) It is unbelievable how much better I feel. I don't know - is it PT, is it acupuncture or is it the chinese herbs they prescribed me to take (one of them is supposed to work as a pain killer) or is it all of the above, BUT I feel so much less pain, I actually cannot believe it! :-))) Anyway, I am very excited about tomorrow, hopefully there will be good news.

Mary Kay, so cool you are getting a bike too! :-) I went to the bike store today and was ready to buy it, but the one I wanted had an 18inch frame. Good news was though they had the 16inch frame bike in stock but need to assemble it. So I can pick it up on Tuesday, yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Testriding it felt great, plus no pain while bike riding (only when getting off it)... so I am really looking forward to this!  So sorry you had problems with your knee today! I hope it is only temporary!

Debra, sorry to hear that you run wasn't what you expected... the next one certainly will be better! I think it just happens once in a while, at least it happens to me, too. Quite disappointing though as with every run I have high expectations.

Take care and happy running!

Britta

Oct 23, 2010
    208. Apr 2, 2012 8:42 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Mary, you can confidence with certainty nearing that of death and taxes that we all started out going short and slow with lots of sore muscles and joints along the way.  Running is a slow building process so please don't try to push too hard.  Take the time to get your legs used to it because that's how you stay ahead of the injuries.  Everyone needs some time off now and then and working towards our races which are so soon we're all pushing to get our last runs in while we can.  From your post I'd say to not worry about the longer stuff for a few days and spend more time walking than running.  If you don't give yourself time to recover enough you're just continually breaking yourself down instead of getting stronger. 

I had a 3.5 hour HM last summer after holding 10 minute miles for the first 9, but it was the weekend after my olympic tri and I was just not able to run the rest.  The silver lining was I got to really know the staff at the last aid station and helped encourage others who were struggling. 

Personally I took my road bike out on Saturday for 3 hours and blew off running completely.  The hour climbing up Left Hand Canyon was a great cardio workout and the rest was just cruising without the stresses running brings so I was content to do some cross training and keep it all fresh so I don't get sick of running hills with only a few weeks to go.

Britta, it's great to hear you're getting better and being so positive.  Keep it up and you'll be crossing finish lines again before you know it.

Debra, it sounds more like you're Darn Tough, not just the socks!  Way to go. 

Andy

Jun 28, 2011
    209. Apr 2, 2012 9:29 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Andy, thanks! Yes, things are getting better! :-) Today's PT session was interesting. I got to run on the treadmill (yay, finally a bit of running!) and my PT mentioned something I had observed by myself a long time ago, but as I am not an expert I didn't think any further. When I run my right foot is pointing straight ahead (as it should) but my left foot points to the outside.... he explained to me that this of course causes trouble to the IT band and hip. Hm... makes sense!!  So I have to learn a proper and healthy running style. Oh and I am supposed to run one mile tomorrow, yay :-))))

Regarding my bike, there are complications. :-( They had told me that they had the smaller frame bike in stock but needed to assemble it and that I could pick it up on Tuesday. Well, I got a message telling me that it is ready for pick up in a different store, far away from here (talking about an hour drive one way at least). :-( I am not even sure if it will fit in my car altough it should once I flip all the seats over. Well, I'll see tomorrow what I can do about it. I just want my bike ;-)

Britta

Britta

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...